Older Dura-Ace crankarm dustcaps

Whit Moyer

Guest
I am the proud new owner of an old Tommasini road bike w/ full dura-ace group.

I'm stripping it down for a good cleaning/rust removing/frame savering/possible repaint.

The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace
as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each other. There is no lip to stick a
screw driver in, and attempts with needle nose pliers have only damaged them. I even tried to make a
more accurate tool with a salad fork sans the two middle prongs, no luck. I tried nailing two nails
into a piece of wood, and using it as a specialty wrench, it only bent the nails.

According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a special
shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).

So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of thing?
Is there another makeshift solution?

Thanks,

Whit

whit moyer wrote:

> I am the proud new owner of an old Tommasini road bike w/ full dura-ace group.
>
> I'm stripping it down for a good cleaning/rust removing/frame savering/possible repaint.
>
> The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace
> as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each other. There is no lip to stick a
> screw driver in, and attempts with needle nose pliers have only damaged them. I even tried to make
> a more accurate tool with a salad fork sans the two middle prongs, no luck. I tried nailing two
> nails into a piece of wood, and using it as a specialty wrench, it only bent the nails.
>
> According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a
> special shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).
>
> So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of
> thing? Is there another makeshift solution?

Yes you _could_ remove those covers but you do not have to. That is Shimano's "One Key Release"
system. Just unscrew the allen bolt after shooting a bit of oil inside the cap.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:44:29 GMT, whit moyer <[email protected]> wrote:

>According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a
>special shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).
>
>So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of
>thing? Is there another makeshift solution?

sounds like a spanner wrench will do it. a U shaped metal rod with the ends bent down. You just need
the right size for the cap. any automotive store has them and they are common.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

whit moyer wrote:
> I am the proud new owner of an old Tommasini road bike w/ full dura-ace group.
>
> I'm stripping it down for a good cleaning/rust removing/frame savering/possible repaint.
>
> The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace
> as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each other. There is no lip to stick a
> screw driver in, and attempts with needle nose pliers have only damaged them. I even tried to make
> a more accurate tool with a salad fork sans the two middle prongs, no luck. I tried nailing two
> nails into a piece of wood, and using it as a specialty wrench, it only bent the nails.
>
> According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a
> special shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).
>
> So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of
> thing? Is there another makeshift solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Whit

Whit

Yes you should try & find that tool. Any good LBS should have one. One end does the crank dust
caps. The other is for chain rings. Its not an expensive tool, I think mine cost me about 4 UKP.
Mine lives in my saddle bag. I'd lend you it but I have a suspicion that we don't live that near to
each other :)

Stan Cox

P.S. I always wanted a Tommasini you lucky devil.

Stan Cox wrote:

> whit moyer wrote:
>
>> I am the proud new owner of an old Tommasini road bike w/ full dura-ace group. I'm stripping it
>> down for a good cleaning/rust removing/frame savering/possible repaint.
>>
>> The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being extremely stubborn. They're
>> dura-ace as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each other. There is no lip to
>> stick a screw driver in, and attempts with needle nose pliers have only damaged them. I even
>> tried to make a more accurate tool with a salad fork sans the two middle prongs, no luck. I
>> tried nailing two nails into a piece of wood, and using it as a specialty wrench, it only bent
>> the nails.
>>
>> According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a
>> special shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).
>>
>> So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of
>> thing? Is there another makeshift solution? Thanks,
>>
>> Whit
>>

> Whit
>
> Yes you should try & find that tool. Any good LBS should have one. One end does the crank dust
> caps. The other is for chain rings. Its not an expensive tool, I think mine cost me about 4 UKP.
> Mine lives in my saddle bag. I'd lend you it but I have a suspicion that we don't live that near
> to each other :)
>
> Stan Cox
>
> P.S. I always wanted a Tommasini you lucky devil.

Whit. I just had a thought. I have never owned Dura Ace only Ultegra :( certainly my comments
above are relevant but IIRC the Dura Ace crank caps may well be captured bolts. The idea is that
if you undo the allen bolt in the middle it presses against the cap and pulls the crank off. A
good lube and use of an allen key *might* well be all you need to remove the crank from the
bike.... Sorry for that

Stan Cox

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes you _could_ remove those covers but you do not have to. That is Shimano's "One Key Release"
> system. Just unscrew the allen bolt after shooting a bit of oil inside the cap.

Depends on age. Until the FC7403 (IIRC, the first "low profile") the DuraAce crank had normal hex
bolts and dustcaps with just these two small holes. They're metal and easily ruined if the tool
doesn't fit 8-/

--
MfG/Best regards helmut springer

whit-<< dura-ace group. >><BR><BR> << The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being
extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each
other >><BR><BR>

The small tool that comes with new 7700 cranks will take this out. Two pronged one end, one prong
for holding the back of chainring bolts on the other. See yer bike shop, he probably has many.

If no soap, i'll send ya one-

On 26 Sep 2003 12:35:02 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>whit-<< dura-ace group. >><BR><BR> << The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being
>extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each
>other >><BR><BR>
>
>The small tool that comes with new 7700 cranks will take this out. Two pronged one end, one prong
>for holding the back of chainring bolts on the other. See yer bike shop, he probably has many.

The OP had the correct part number. In addition to what Peter describes it also has two hex holes.
The chainring bolt end has a 4mm hex, useful for disassembling older Shimano cassettes that were
held together by three bolts instead of today's rivets. Also a 9mm on the dustcap end that I haven't
found a use for as yet.

whit moyer wrote:

> I am the proud new owner of an old Tommasini road bike w/ full dura-ace group.
>
> I'm stripping it down for a good cleaning/rust removing/frame savering/possible repaint.
>
> The only problem is that the dustcaps on the cranks are being extremely stubborn. They're dura-ace
> as well, and have two small holes 180 degrees apart from each other. There is no lip to stick a
> screw driver in, and attempts with needle nose pliers have only damaged them. I even tried to make
> a more accurate tool with a salad fork sans the two middle prongs, no luck. I tried nailing two
> nails into a piece of wood, and using it as a specialty wrench, it only bent the nails.
>
> According to this pdf: http://www.d.umn.edu/~fols0021/bike/Chapter20.pdf (page 4), there's a
> special shimano tool for this dustcap (TL-FC20).
>
> So, my questions are: Should I try and find this tool myself? Do bikeshops carry this kind of
> thing? Is there another makeshift solution?

Here's the tool:

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/tools/19059.html
http://rivendellbicycles.com/images/catpics/19-059.jpg

I have two 7402 cranks (no Andrew, not one-key release) and these caps can be very stubborn. From
time to time I've needed to put the bike horizontal on the ground (and hold it strongly!) and really
work to get these caps out/off. I think they are aluminum and I suppose the Al crank and Al cap tend
to bond. Now I put anti-seize on the threads and make sure not to tighten much. I like these caps
because they look nice. I wish I could get a couple more.

Get the tool or make one out of steel stock (and maybe a couple of pins/screws).

Helmut Springer wrote:
> Depends on age. Until the FC7403 (IIRC, the first "low profile") the DuraAce crank had normal hex
> bolts and dustcaps with just these two small holes. They're metal and easily ruined if the tool
> doesn't fit 8-/

There are several styles, as Mr Springer notes, but Shimano introduced that system long ago - in the
seventies - and has used it on and off since. Generally, anything with a visible crank bolt allen
socket and a two-hole steel cap wil be self-extracting. The proper tool is , as Mr Springer said,
necessary, especially on the aluminum covers which have suicidal tendencies.

A BIG thank you to everyone who replied.

> I have two 7402 cranks (no Andrew, not one-key release) and these caps can be very stubborn. From
> time to time I've needed to put the bike horizontal on the ground (and hold it strongly!) and
> really work to get these caps out/off. I think they are aluminum and I suppose the Al crank and Al
> cap tend to bond. Now I put anti-seize on the threads and make sure not to tighten much. I like
> these caps because they look nice. I wish I could get a couple more.
>
> Get the tool or make one out of steel stock (and maybe a couple of pins/screws).

I went to an LBS and he ended up having the tool burried deep in his shop.

We ended up doing exactly what you said. I held the frame on the floor, and he torqued. Came off
like a champ.

When they go back on, some lube's going with them.

Thanks again.

-Whitney Moyer