Older Mirage 8sp to 9sp?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift levers) be converted to 9sp? What's needed?

Matt O.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:20:52 +0000, Matt O'Toole wrote:

> Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift levers) be converted to 9sp? What's needed?

Talk to Peter Chisholm, who posts here often. You basically need a new shift disk. I'd also replace
the g-springs while you are in there. I did this last Fall (Record, not Mirage, but same guts), and
it was no problem.

IIRC the shift disk was $35 or so, and the g-springs are a couple bucks.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

> Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift levers) be converted to 9sp? What's needed?

A new shift disc inside the lever, a nine speed chain and a wheel with nine cogs on it. The rest of
the system ( rear changer, chainrings) will be compatible.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift
levers)
> > be converted to 9sp? What's needed?
>
> A new shift disc inside the lever, a nine speed chain and
a wheel with nine
> cogs on it. The rest of the system ( rear changer,
chainrings) will be
> compatible.

A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano? Or do you need a new hub, or
cassette body?

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > >"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/
> > >plastic shift evers)be converted to 9sp? What's needed?
> >
> > A new shift disc inside the lever, a nine speed chain and a wheel with ninecogs on it. The rest
> > of the system ( rear changer,chainrings) will be compatible.
>
> A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano?

No, it doesnt.Campy 8 and 9 speed hubs are different,though the 9sp freehub bit can be bought on its
own,to replace the 8sp one, it is not really cost effective, as it is about the same price as a new
hub. Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
North Midlands.

I wrote it that way ( a wheel with nine cogs) because the Campagnolo format is either a 7/8 hub
(old) or a 9/10 hub (new). This is a different breakdown than Shimano, where the old hubs were 6/7
and the new ones 8/9. There are kludges, but generally you'll need a new wheel. Probably
inadvertant, but modern nine wheels will shift in either system. That is to say, once you've changed
the shifter and chain, anyone's nine speed wheel will shift fine in your bike (Shimano hub or
Campagnolo hub)
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "Matt O'Toole"

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift
> levers)
> > > be converted to 9sp? What's needed?
> >
> > A new shift disc inside the lever, a nine speed chain and
> a wheel with nine
> > cogs on it. The rest of the system ( rear changer,
> chainrings) will be
> > compatible.
>
> A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano? Or do you need a new hub, or
> cassette body?
>
> Matt O.

Matt-<< Can older Campy Mirage 8sp stuff ( w/ plastic shift levers) be converted to 9sp?
What's needed?

Yes, shift disc EC-RE-113 and need to convert the rear hub to 9/10s with a freehub body off a 1997/8
series hub, 9s casstte and chain. No need to change anything else, including rder pulleys.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:56:19 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I wrote it that way ( a wheel with nine cogs) because the Campagnolo format is either a 7/8 hub
>(old) or a 9/10 hub (new). This is a different breakdown than Shimano, where the old hubs were 6/7
>and the new ones 8/9. There are kludges, but generally you'll need a new wheel. Probably
>inadvertant, but modern nine wheels will shift in either system. That is to say, once you've
>changed the shifter and chain, anyone's nine speed wheel will shift fine in your bike (Shimano hub
>or Campagnolo hub)

So, I have a 9 speed Campy setup from 1997 with Chorus shifters and changers and a Record 9 speed
hub and cassette. I can substitute a recent Shimano hub (Ultegra or 105) with a Shimano 9 speed
cassette and it will work fine? I didn't know that -- it's good news.

Also, I have a another bike with a Campy Racing Triple changer from 1997 currently set up to operate
on a Sachs 7 speed freewheel with Record 8 speed downtube shifters (and this works fine). Campy 9
speed shifters will shift this derailer properly with either a Campy 9 speed cassette or a recent
Shimano 9 speed?

Assuming a decent 9 speed chain.

Harold

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:05:45 +0000, Hedberg wrote:

> Also, I have a another bike with a Campy Racing Triple changer from 1997 currently set up to
> operate on a Sachs 7 speed freewheel with Record 8 speed downtube shifters (and this works fine).
> Campy 9 speed shifters will shift this derailer properly with either a Campy 9 speed cassette or a
> recent Shimano 9 speed?

yes

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:23:29 +0000, Matt O'Toole wrote:

> A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano? Or do you need a new hub, or
> cassette body?

Yes, you do need a new cassette body. It may be possible to find spacers that would allow you to
use 9 8-speed cogs, but 8-speed cogs are getting harder and harder to get, so this is not a
viable solution.

However, I have found 3 9/10-speed Campy hubs at swap meets for $15 apiece.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano? Or do you need a new hub, or
> cassette body?

Campag 9sp Mirage/Veloce sprockets can be made to fit Campag 8sp hubs by filing the sprocket tabs.

~PB

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:33:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> A nine speed cassette fits an 8 speed hub OK, like Shimano? Or do you need a new hub, or
>> cassette body?
>
> Campag 9sp Mirage/Veloce sprockets can be made to fit Campag 8sp hubs by filing the sprocket tabs.

Since the sprockets are pretty hard, that would be a challenging amount of work to save the few
bucks needed to replace the hub or freehub body.

--

"Hedberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So, I have a 9 speed Campy setup from 1997 with Chorus shifters and changers and a Record 9 speed
> hub and cassette. I can substitute a recent Shimano hub (Ultegra or 105) with a Shimano 9 speed
> cassette and it will work fine? I didn't know that -- it's good news.
>
> Also, I have a another bike with a Campy Racing Triple changer from 1997 currently set up to
> operate on a Sachs 7 speed freewheel with Record 8 speed downtube shifters (and this works fine).
> Campy 9 speed shifters will shift this derailer properly with either a Campy 9 speed cassette or a
> recent Shimano 9 speed?
>
> Assuming a decent 9 speed chain.

Yes a Shimano nine wheel will shift fine in your Record nine bike.

And when you get Ergo Nine for your existing Campagnolo rear changer on your triple bike, you can
swap your nine wheels in both bikes. Assuming, as you note, a nine speed chain.

David L. Johnson wrote:

>> Campag 9sp Mirage/Veloce sprockets can be made to fit Campag 8sp hubs by filing the
>> sprocket tabs.
>
> Since the sprockets are pretty hard, that would be a challenging amount of work to save the few
> bucks needed to replace the hub or freehub body.

It is hard work! ...but only because it's time consuming, really. Not a lot of skill is required.
I've only done two sprockets so far, but it works, is cheap, and finding and fitting an appropriate
freehub body is not always easy. It's certainly preferable to replacing the whole hub or wheel.

As well as an option for converting to 9sp, it's also a way of customising 8sp cassettes by using a
larger bottom cog than is available with 8sp's (28t instead of 26), or using a 14t top cog (from a
14-28 9sp - new ratio for this year).

~PB

"Hedberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:56:19 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I wrote it that way ( a wheel with nine cogs) because the Campagnolo
format
> >is either a 7/8 hub (old) or a 9/10 hub (new). This is a different
breakdown
> >than Shimano, where the old hubs were 6/7 and the new ones 8/9. There
are
> >kludges, but generally you'll need a new wheel. Probably inadvertant,
but
> >modern nine wheels will shift in either system. That is to say, once
you've
> >changed the shifter and chain, anyone's nine speed wheel will shift fine
in
> >your bike (Shimano hub or Campagnolo hub)
>
> So, I have a 9 speed Campy setup from 1997 with Chorus shifters and changers and a Record 9 speed
> hub and cassette. I can substitute a recent Shimano hub (Ultegra or 105) with a Shimano 9 speed
> cassette and it will work fine? I didn't know that -- it's good news.
>
> Also, I have a another bike with a Campy Racing Triple changer from 1997 currently set up to
> operate on a Sachs 7 speed freewheel with Record 8 speed downtube shifters (and this works fine).
> Campy 9 speed shifters will shift this derailer properly with either a Campy 9 speed cassette or a
> recent Shimano 9 speed?
>
> Assuming a decent 9 speed chain.
>
> Harold

works for me

David L. Johnson wrote:

>> Campag 9sp Mirage/Veloce sprockets can be made to fit Campag 8sp hubs by filing the
>> sprocket tabs.
>
> Since the sprockets are pretty hard, that would be a challenging amount of work to save the few
> bucks needed to replace the hub or freehub body.

Just found out the price of replacing freehub...... from
www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm : "Campag freehub body plus axle to convert 8 speed to
9/10 speed:
42.95 [GBP]". That's more than a few bucks.

Unfortunatley, there's not enough room on an 8sp freehub to properly accommodate a complete 9sp
cassette (1.25mm total difference), but otherwise filing is a reasonable alternative practice, IMO.
8 of the 9 cogs can be used. It's not /that/ challenging with a sharp coarse file. However, there
may be some issue over the fact that less material contacts the hub (9sps use fewer but deeper tabs)
- I don't know - but what I've done so far seems to work fine.

~PB

> David L. Johnson wrote:
>
> >> Campag 9sp Mirage/Veloce sprockets can be made to fit Campag 8sp hubs by filing the sprocket
> >> tabs.
> >
> > Since the sprockets are pretty hard, that would be a challenging amount of work to save the few
> > bucks needed to replace the hub or freehub body.

> It is hard work! ...but only because it's time consuming, really. Not a lot of skill is required.
> I've only done two sprockets so far, but it works, is cheap, and finding and fitting an
> appropriate freehub body is not always easy. It's certainly preferable to replacing the whole hub
> or wheel.
>
> As well as an option for converting to 9sp, it's also a way of customising 8sp cassettes by using
> a larger bottom cog than is available with 8sp's (28t instead of 26), or using a 14t top cog (from
> a 14-28 9sp - new ratio for this year).

To trim cassette splines or any other hardened steel parts, try the Nicholson Carbide Wire. It slips
into a standard hacksaw frame and easily makes 1/8"=2mm slits in just about anything.