Older Raleigh road bike

daniels

Apr 23, 2004
Howdy folks,

I'm posting to ask a few questions about an older Raleigh road bike I recently took posession of for the paltry sum of $225 (Australian).

Its a reynolds 531 frame with lugs and painted metallic red (only a couple of small scratches). The handlebars and rims are alloy and the wheels are quick release (they same "Made in Belgium" this is all I can see on them). Cranks are Sugino 50 and the deraillers are Suntour ARX. The brakes are Weinemann centre-pull dual pivot. Tyres are "Vittoria Competition Phoenix 32".

The questions are:

1. Does anyone know of any problems with this frame/components that I should look out for?

2. The rear der. seems to upshift spontaneously when under load, is fixing this normally a matter of just tightening up the friction shifters? (I am a complete newbie to friction shifts coming from a Rapid-Fire equipped mtb)

3. Just generally: Was this bike regarded as 'good' in its day? It seems to ride pretty nice and looks good too. Just curious.

4. What are the best upgrades (if any) I should consider for this bike? The tyres are probably my first inclination because they look about as old as the bike itself (which is why I was convinced this bike has barely been ridden).

If anyone has any other general information on this bike and its components I would love to hear it.

Thanks heaps.

Daniel Searson