older road bike/commuter questions..

atarinox

Sep 20, 2006
Hi,

I'm looking to get a road bike for work/school commuting purposes, and also general errands around town. I'd like something decent, which handles well and is relatively light, but wouldn't like to spend more than say $250. Also, it'd be nice if I could continue to ride the bike through snow/rain (i live in the northeast), so maybe something which is suitable for cyclocross tires? I'm thinking that i'll have to buy a used (ebay?) older road bike to get something decent in my price range. Any reccomendations for a good value, quality road bike?

As of now i'm looking into some older bianchis, treks, and peugots...

Also, i'm wondering what frame size I should be looking at. My height is 6'0" and my inseam measurement is just about 32".

thanks for any help!

Mike

atarinox said:
Hi,

I'm looking to get a road bike for work/school commuting purposes, and also general errands around town. I'd like something decent, which handles well and is relatively light, but wouldn't like to spend more than say $250. Also, it'd be nice if I could continue to ride the bike through snow/rain (i live in the northeast), so maybe something which is suitable for cyclocross tires? I'm thinking that i'll have to buy a used (ebay?) older road bike to get something decent in my price range. Any reccomendations for a good value, quality road bike?

As of now i'm looking into some older bianchis, treks, and peugots...

Also, i'm wondering what frame size I should be looking at. My height is 6'0" and my inseam measurement is just about 32".

thanks for any help!

Mike

Lots of older road bikes around that would meet your needs. Any of the brands you suggest would be fine as well as any other name brand. Get something that would allow for use of fenders (essential for wet riding) which means a bike that was intended for touring, cyclocross, or 'sport" riding as opposed to racing. There will be more clearance for the wider tires and fenders. A lighter weight hard-tail MTB with rigid forks outfitted with narrower tires also is a decent winter commuter option, but if you like a lighter, more responsive bike, the road bike is probably better.

You probably need something in the 55-58 cm range depending on your exact proportions and the bikes actual frame geometry.

Take a look at Craigslist if you live in or near a big city.