Older Shimano Tourney sidepull brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by me, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    Hi, I have a circa 1986 Shogun 400 roadbike with Shimano Tourney
    sidepull brakes. This bike has 27" wheels and I am looking for a
    replacement for the rear brake which is broken. Any idea online where I
    may find this brake so I can replace it? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. "me" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a circa 1986 Shogun 400 roadbike with Shimano Tourney
    > sidepull brakes. This bike has 27" wheels and I am looking for a
    > replacement for the rear brake which is broken. Any idea online where I
    > may find this brake so I can replace it?

    You need to measure the distance from the center of the brake bolt to the
    center of your rims. This will tell you how much "reach" you need. You also
    have to determine if your frame takes recessed or nutted brake attachment.

    See:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html#reach

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html#recessed

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html

    Art Harris

  3. me

    me Guest

    Hi again,
    The reach is 50mm and is a traditional nut design (the nut being in the top and
    center). Is the Shimano A550 what I need? Thanks

  4. "me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The reach is 50mm and is a traditional nut design (the nut being in the
    > top and
    > center). Is the Shimano A550 what I need?

    That should do it. And since the A550 has a reach of 47-57mm, it should work
    even if you eventually switch to smaller 700c wheels.

    Art Harris