Olmo Impact and Wilier Escape

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Yellow, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Yellow

Yellow New Member

2 months ago I got a new Wiler Escape with Campag Mirage group set. It was new, but a 2005 model that the shop was selling at a discounted price. I was very happy with the bike but it started to make a clicking/ticking sound, especially up hills, under load etc. The bike shop spend a lot of time trying to find the problem but ultimately couldn't nail it down. They concluded it was the frame althought there was no visible problem.

As it was a 2005 model frame they told me they couldn't replace it with a Wilier as they were no longer in stock. They have since replaced it with a new frame - an Olmo Impact. They tell me it's as good as or slightly better than the Wilier Escape.

Any help would be appreciated. Have I been taken for a ride here?

Cheers

Tags:

2. janiejones

janiejones New Member

I don't know a lot about these bikes - don't see a lot of them in Aus. But i was reading that the Olmo Impact is made of 7005 Aluminium (pretty good for bikes, it used to be really popular, it's what I ride), and the Willier Escape is made from Amadeus Aluminium - I don't know anything about this one, but it might give you a good starting point to do some research. The Olmo is 300grams heavier.

But really, both frames are popular brand names and have been around for a while, so it's probably six of one and half dozen of the other.

How does the new frame feel to you? In the end that's what it comes down to.

3. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

A mate of mine bought an Olmo Impact from Mascot Cycles in Richmond, and they had some Vuelta Airline wheels on them, which are, BY FAR, the WORST FARKIN WHEELS I've ever seen.

I tried to true them for him after 1 week of riding (!), and the rims were so far out of round that is was a joke. And the hubs??!! Sheesh! Junkaroony. :)
    He got rid of them and bought some Campag Zondas

Having said all at, it might not be the wheels :)