OLN bike coverage so gray

Chiefhiawatha

Guest
So what's the deal with how gray and muted the colors are in the OLN cycling broadcasts?

I love the coverage, but am curious.

may have to do with the quality of the optics and electronics used by the TV unit doing the
coverage, as well as image degradation from being bounced around on satelite..... I've seen some
really murky images from European Television in the past. I would guess, to start with, that the
production quality is not the same as say, monday night football.

chiefhiawatha wrote:
> So what's the deal with how gray and muted the colors are in the OLN cycling broadcasts?
>
> I love the coverage, but am curious.

there's degredation too from the radio links between the motorcycles, helicopters, satellite
trucks... plus i think there are some filters on some of those camera's... and it looked like in the
Paris Roubaix even some dust cover contraptions.

chiefhiawatha wrote:
> So what's the deal with how gray and muted the colors are in the OLN cycling broadcasts?
>
> I love the coverage, but am curious.

.... for the same reason that American channels look kind of yellow over here.

Some difference in technical standards, I wouldn't seek the reason in Hell dust.

I read somewhere that the bandwidth giving to OLN is less than the Main channels ABC,CBS,NBC ect. I
have Direct TV and during rain storms I will often be able to pic up those channels while not being
able to pick up OLN...I don't know if that is related though. It was really obvious when you watched
the Tour on ABC and then compared it to the Tour coverage on OLN.

Hey,

cousins couldn't get out of bed with Saddam, and the American's are yellow?

You would all be speaking German right now if it weren't for my grandfather.

Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

news:<[email protected]>...

In article <[email protected]>, me <[email protected]> wrote:
>may have to do with the quality of the optics and electronics used by the TV unit doing the
>coverage, as well as image degradation from being bounced around on satelite..... I've seen some
>really murky images from European Television in the past. I would guess, to start with, that the
>production quality is not the same as say, monday night football.

There is also the necessary conversion from the European video standards to US video standards -- a
non-trivial process which degrades the signal, and thus the picture quality, greatly. Don't ask me
to explain it all -- I used to know, but I've forgotten all the details. Things like converting 625
scan lines to 525, 50 fields/sec to 60, etc.

Andy

Most likely due to limiting the bandwidth on the satellite link. The details begin to go as the
bandwidth is narrowed (as the picture compression is increased.)

news:[email protected]...