OLN Coverage Sucked

C. Zoh

Guest
I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.

How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
he kept his bike up. Wow.

The coverage was total ****. 20 min of commercials.
"C. Zoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

nothing.

> How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
> he kept his bike up. Wow.

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> The coverage was total ****. 20 min of commercials.
> "C. Zoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

> nothing.
> >
> > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
> > he kept his bike up. Wow.

What did you watch & France 2 had it on for five hours - no commercials.

You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We got
the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was covered
at all.

Curt

"SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
> news:[email protected]...
> > The coverage was total ****. 20 min of commercials.
> > "C. Zoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

> > nothing.
> > >
> > > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
> > > he kept his bike up. Wow.
> > >

> What did you watch & France 2 had it on for five hours - no commercials.
>

> You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We got
> the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

covered
> at all.

Agreed, great that we did have coverage. But it wasn't very good... the
first half-hour seemed useless, so, out of a 5+ hour race, you get one-half
hour of decent race coverage? No, if it was decent race coverage, there
wouldn't have been so much question during the final part of the race as to
where George Hincapie disappeared to.

Seemed like they could have done a better job of cherry-picking the better
parts of the race to show, since it's put together hours before it's shown.
And they could have edited it better so we knew in semi-real-time what was
going on with George. It's not like they didn't play up George a lot before
and during the race!

Maybe it will make more sense when I watch it again.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Last year was a lot better, and showed a lot of the crashes.

"C. Zoh" wrote:

> I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.
>
> How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
> he kept his bike up. Wow.

i had problems following it too. i actually like that they showed some
of the earlier parts of the race, but the final bit was confusing. mike
made a good point that since they had time to edit it, they could have
done a better job.

i went out for 5 hours this morning/afternoon until i crashed my own
self out of tiredness. came home all sticky and dirty and sore, in
perfect shape to watch my tape of the race :) when j.m. flatted i
scared the **** out of my dog because i yelled "NOOOOOOO!!" so loud she
thought she was in serious trouble.
heather

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We got
> the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

covered
> at all.
>
> Curt

It was disappointing because OLN has been doing 2 hours for PR for the last
2 or 3 years. Their two hour coverage was very good. Going back to a
disjointed hour sucked.

Wade

The most frustrating thing was that they used one hour of the allotted
cycling coverage for a race (Flanders) that had been repeated a few times
already. They did the same for Flanders last week. They could have done a
decent job with 2 hours of the PR and 2 hrs of Flanders last week.
Incredibly disjointed. I got a better feel for the race reading the "live"
text coverage on the web.

Kendall

> > You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We

got
> > the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

> covered
> > at all.

> Agreed, great that we did have coverage. But it wasn't very good... the
> first half-hour seemed useless, so, out of a 5+ hour race, you get

one-half
> hour of decent race coverage? No, if it was decent race coverage, there
> wouldn't have been so much question during the final part of the race as

> where George Hincapie disappeared to.
>
> Seemed like they could have done a better job of cherry-picking the better
> parts of the race to show, since it's put together hours before it's

shown.
> And they could have edited it better so we knew in semi-real-time what was
> going on with George. It's not like they didn't play up George a lot

before
> and during the race!
>
> Maybe it will make more sense when I watch it again.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC9F3179.2E96%[email protected]...
> in article [email protected], Jiyang Chen at [email protected]

wrote
> on 4/11/04 5:30 PM:
>
> > Last year was a lot better, and showed a lot of the crashes.

> So it's not just NASCAR...
>
> -Sonarrat.

What are you talking about? Crashes of Paris-Roubaix are the best part.
Are you implying that people watch the engaging racing? Absurd!

I agree with everybody else that the one-hour show was poorly chosen and
edited. Their coverage of Flanders, for example, seemed better, even though it
was also only an hour of highlights.

For me, the story going into this year's race was Museeuw, yet they didn't
really emphasize it much - no pre-race shots of him, not all that much in-race
focus compared to what they gave George, and nothing post-race at all about the
end of one of the most glorious careers of this generation. A disappointment.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We got
> the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

covered
> at all.

So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The coverage in America is brought to us by OLN.

Once again, as mentioned probably a million times before, it's still
better than nothing. At least we get coverage now. Aside from that,
you could have read the live reports on various cycling internet
sites, and gotten a blow by blow analysis of the really good stuff.
OLN is the best, and only coverage we've got of cycling events in the
US. I'll take that over nothing anyday.

Tom

C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.
>
> How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
> he kept his bike up. Wow.

So, euros with real coverage:

I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?

Here's what Americans saw: (and yes, I remember when I saw nothing...)

Commesso break, cut, Arenberg, cut, Kirsipuu solo, cut, Boonen/Hincapie
break, cut, Hammond/Backstedt break, Museuuw flat, cut, velodrome
finish.

40 minutes total coverage. No continuity, no sensible narrative. Just
5 or 6 seperate unconnected events tacked together.

They did the same thing with Flanders last week. After every
commercial, 10-15 km lost on the editing floor.

Reading Cyclingnews has more suspense. OLN is just a tease.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We
>> got the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it
>> was covered at all.

> So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
> Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?

Because they saw you first.

> The most frustrating thing was that they used one hour of the allotted
> cycling coverage for a race (Flanders) that had been repeated a few times
> already. They did the same for Flanders last week. They could have done

> decent job with 2 hours of the PR and 2 hrs of Flanders last week.
> Incredibly disjointed. I got a better feel for the race reading the

"live"
> text coverage on the web.

Even worse, I went to a bit of trouble to avoid any possibility of reading
about the race before the (delayed) telecast... and have to admit that I was
getting my hopes up as George maintained pretty decent positioning
throughout most of the race. Wasn't there a time, towards the end, when it
was just George and two or three others? Dang! To get that far & run out
of gas...

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:05:55 -0500, jesseth@removethis_gwi.net (Jesse
Thompson) wrote:

>So, euros with real coverage:
>
>I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
>Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?

I watched the Eurosport coverage. Coverage started at 1:30 (at about
km 90 or so), and continued until the finish. They have a (short)
commercial break every 30 minutes or so, but seem to go out of their
way not to go break at inappropriate times.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:52:25 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Even worse, I went to a bit of trouble to avoid any possibility of reading
>about the race before the (delayed) telecast... and have to admit that I was
>getting my hopes up as George maintained pretty decent positioning
>throughout most of the race. Wasn't there a time, towards the end, when it
>was just George and two or three others? Dang! To get that far & run out
>of gas...

I watched the Eurosport coverage live and my take was that Boonen,
Hincapie, and to a lesser extent Flecha (who was mostly sitting on)
burned theirselves out with what appeared might be the race winning
break. They went all out and it looked like they might stay away, but
ultimately they got reeled in, and shortly after that the race-winning
break got away. It's no surprise that none of the three were in that
break.

Obviously there were some strong guys up there who didn't want to
let Boonen and Hincapie get away with only 20km to go.

Ultimately Hincapie did better than Boonen because he beat him
in the sprint!

- David.