OLN Coverage Sucked

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by C. Zoh, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > So, euros with real coverage:
    >
    > I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
    > Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?


    I watched on Belgium TV, live from about 80 km's in the race to the finish without breaks (about 5 hours).
    The coverage is really good (the best?) with knowledgeable commentary, link with commentary guy on motorbike in the race and
    sometimes live phonecalls with teamcars etc. Dutch TV instead have some breaks, usually on the hour to show the news, and commentary
    is of much lower quality (too much focus on heroic stuff which is usual with commentary by Mart Smeets).


    "Jesse Thompson" <[email protected]_gwi.net> wrote in message news:1gc3ozs.13j5lm154x4kwN%[email protected]_gwi.net...
    > C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.
    > >
    > > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
    > > he kept his bike up. Wow.

    >
    > So, euros with real coverage:
    >
    > I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
    > Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?
    >
    >
    > Here's what Americans saw: (and yes, I remember when I saw nothing...)
    >
    > Commesso break, cut, Arenberg, cut, Kirsipuu solo, cut, Boonen/Hincapie
    > break, cut, Hammond/Backstedt break, Museuuw flat, cut, velodrome
    > finish.
    >
    > 40 minutes total coverage. No continuity, no sensible narrative. Just
    > 5 or 6 seperate unconnected events tacked together.
    >
    > They did the same thing with Flanders last week. After every
    > commercial, 10-15 km lost on the editing floor.
    >
    >
    > Reading Cyclingnews has more suspense. OLN is just a tease.
     


  2. On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:31:37 GMT, David <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:05:55 -0500, [email protected]_gwi.net (Jesse
    >Thompson) wrote:
    >
    >>So, euros with real coverage:
    >>
    >>I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
    >>Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?
    >>

    >
    >I watched the Eurosport coverage. Coverage started at 1:30 (at about
    >km 90 or so), and continued until the finish. They have a (short)
    >commercial break every 30 minutes or so, but seem to go out of their
    >way not to go break at inappropriate times.


    British Eurosport covered about two hours live then cut to a Seria A
    game. They then came back for a further recorded two hours but
    inexplicably after a commercial break at about 30k to go they rejoined
    at under 6k when all the action had happened!!!

    Regards!
    Stephen
     
  3. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We
    > >> got the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it
    > >> was covered at all.

    > >
    > > So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
    > > Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?

    >
    > Because they saw you first.
    >
    >


    ouch
     
  4. Did anyone turn on OLN at 9am - just on the slim possibility that they had
    had a change of heart? I guess a puppet show on hunting was more lucrative
    then live P-R coverage. My take on the disjunctive coverage is that Phil and
    Paul are ultimately gearing their commentary for WCP coverage, and thus
    don't update viewers about what happened during the ubiquitous breaks (that
    will not be in the DVDs). It's frustraing that the breaks are longer and
    more frequent when the race is most exciting, and the longest uninterrupted
    coverage is during the initial color commentary.

    -r



    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > So, euros with real coverage:
    > >
    > > I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
    > > Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?

    >
    > I watched on Belgium TV, live from about 80 km's in the race to the finish

    without breaks (about 5 hours).
    > The coverage is really good (the best?) with knowledgeable commentary,

    link with commentary guy on motorbike in the race and
    > sometimes live phonecalls with teamcars etc. Dutch TV instead have some

    breaks, usually on the hour to show the news, and commentary
    > is of much lower quality (too much focus on heroic stuff which is usual

    with commentary by Mart Smeets).
    >
    >
    > "Jesse Thompson" <[email protected]_gwi.net> wrote in message

    news:1gc3ozs.13j5lm154x4kwN%[email protected]_gwi.net...
    > > C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

    nothing.
    > > >
    > > > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
    > > > he kept his bike up. Wow.

    > >
    > > So, euros with real coverage:
    > >
    > > I know you get 5 hours or so. Do they break for commercials constantly?
    > > Or do they run the last hour or so straight through?
    > >
    > >
    > > Here's what Americans saw: (and yes, I remember when I saw nothing...)
    > >
    > > Commesso break, cut, Arenberg, cut, Kirsipuu solo, cut, Boonen/Hincapie
    > > break, cut, Hammond/Backstedt break, Museuuw flat, cut, velodrome
    > > finish.
    > >
    > > 40 minutes total coverage. No continuity, no sensible narrative. Just
    > > 5 or 6 seperate unconnected events tacked together.
    > >
    > > They did the same thing with Flanders last week. After every
    > > commercial, 10-15 km lost on the editing floor.
    > >
    > >
    > > Reading Cyclingnews has more suspense. OLN is just a tease.

    >
    >
     
  5. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Tom Arsenault wrote:
    > "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> The coverage in America is brought to us by OLN.

    >
    > Once again, as mentioned probably a million times before, it's still
    > better than nothing. At least we get coverage now. Aside from that,
    > you could have read the live reports on various cycling internet
    > sites, and gotten a blow by blow analysis of the really good stuff.
    > OLN is the best, and only coverage we've got of cycling events in the
    > US. I'll take that over nothing anyday.
    >

    You could also get the live audio of Duffield wanking on about the new
    Shimano Deore crankset for over 5 minutes and how he got down on his hands
    and knees and counted the number of spokes people were using in PR, with
    occassional race commentary. Actually, Sean Kelly as a sidekick wasn't bad
    but he's chosen a strange Purgatory for himself playing the straight man for
    the Duffer.
     
  6. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    h squared wrote:
    >
    > i had problems following it too. i actually like that they showed some
    > of the earlier parts of the race, but the final bit was confusing.
    > mike
    > made a good point that since they had time to edit it, they could have
    > done a better job.
    >

    The final bit was confusing anyway because there weren't enough cameras to
    cover every group of riders, so some groups dropped out of the game at some
    points. I think Robert already covered this in another thread. I think OLN
    just made best with what they had. Also, Eurosport took that time to go to
    commercial, so I don't think George's group getting caught was even aired in
    Germany or Britain. Of course I may have missed it because I was also
    reading the live reports, keeping an eye on the map for the next pave
    section and listening to Duffield on 20 second delay. I just remember
    thinking, "Oh, George isn't there anymore. Figures".
     
  7. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.


    In the good old days of CBS, maybe. But P-R was the opening salvo of an
    agenda promising to bringing live coverage of the TdF to the unwashed
    masses of US biking folks. That agenda was accomplished. Clearly, they
    are scaling back. As a result, the P-R highlights was a hastily thrown
    together montage of Arenberg, Cysoing and few other spots. Utterly
    missing were the creation of the 5 man break that failed, the move that
    brought Museeux to the front, the dropping of Hincapie, etc. In the last
    year, a troubling trend has been progressing at OLN.

    1. ESPN's morning weekend fare has been moved to OLN and given prime time
    slots (hunting and bass fishing, Running of the Bulls in Trample-ona).

    2. Indoor pro bull riding has taken over prime time

    3. Imitation FOX Sports "You Gotta See This" amateur videos of fools
    getting their just desserts doing things that simply shouldn't be aired
    are on prime time.

    4. Gone are the climbing.

    5. Gone are mountain bike racing.

    6. Gone are hiking and camping.

    7. Gone are kayaking and river sports.

    8. Gone are biking equipment reviews.

    In short, OLN has decided to ignore their mission and name and become
    ESPN3, taking the fringe programs from ESPN, and removing their
    own signature programs. Now, having succeeded in getting their commitment
    to the live TdF, they are scaling back the other biking. P-R is a
    casualty. I hope viewers are savvy enough to figure what will happen when
    Armstrong retires...

    OLNTV does have an Email comments spot on their web page. I'd strongly
    urge readers to give them their feelings.

    You could even tell them how happy you were to not see Madame Gum, for
    those who still have a problem with her.



    > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
    > he kept his bike up. Wow.
     
  8. C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004041116012016807%[email protected]>...
    > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.
    >
    > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
    > he kept his bike up. Wow.


    I hate the way OLN starts their coverage in the middle of the race.
    The cut out a lot of the good early climbs in the TDF. It might be
    nice if they had a post broadcast version that had clips from the
    early parts of the race. I would like to see more behind the scenes
    clips from the races.
     
  9. trg

    trg Guest

    France 2 coverage was quite good (4 hours of coverage without commercials),
    but they have the most annoying commentator on god's green earth- Goddard.
    They relegated him to riding around on the second motorcycle after he got
    into a tussle with a photographer in last year's tour de france, but his
    screaming, ingratiating name dropping just ruins it for me. Even if I didn't
    understand French, I'd find him annoying. Why does he feel it necessary to
    yell, just to tell us that someone (not even a P-R favorite) has flatted
    with 150kms to go?

    Thankfully, Jaja is on the other motorcycle, his obvious knowledge of
    stategy, tactics and the races has been augmented this year by his improved
    ability to express it. Plus he doesn't play Goddard's game of trying to make
    every moment seem exciting. Sometimes, there are moments in a 260km race
    whe're there really is nothing happening. (For those times, France2 has a
    color commentator who's job it is to tell us the history and monuments of
    the region the riders are passing through. Since it's France, there's always
    something to talk about.)

    Kyle Legate wrote:
    > Tom Arsenault wrote:
    >> "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> The coverage in America is brought to us by OLN.

    >>
    >> Once again, as mentioned probably a million times before, it's
    >> still better than nothing. At least we get coverage now. Aside
    >> from that, you could have read the live reports on various cycling
    >> internet sites, and gotten a blow by blow analysis of the really
    >> good stuff. OLN is the best, and only coverage we've got of cycling
    >> events in the US. I'll take that over nothing anyday.
    >>

    > You could also get the live audio of Duffield wanking on about the new
    > Shimano Deore crankset for over 5 minutes and how he got down on his
    > hands and knees and counted the number of spokes people were using in
    > PR, with occassional race commentary. Actually, Sean Kelly as a
    > sidekick wasn't bad but he's chosen a strange Purgatory for himself
    > playing the straight man for the Duffer.
     
  10. trg

    trg Guest

    George's group getting caught wasn't shown by France2's live coverage
    either. Plus, it caught the commentators completely by surprise. The
    director switched cameras to show the trio and the commentators said
    something like, "Here we are with the three men at the head of the course
    and they can certainly be a danger." Meanwhile, the camera was panning back
    and showed that they in fact were back in the lead group. The commentators
    were quite surprised.

    Kyle Legate wrote:
    > h squared wrote:
    >>
    >> i had problems following it too. i actually like that they showed
    >> some of the earlier parts of the race, but the final bit was
    >> confusing. mike
    >> made a good point that since they had time to edit it, they could
    >> have done a better job.
    >>

    > The final bit was confusing anyway because there weren't enough
    > cameras to cover every group of riders, so some groups dropped out of
    > the game at some points. I think Robert already covered this in
    > another thread. I think OLN just made best with what they had. Also,
    > Eurosport took that time to go to commercial, so I don't think
    > George's group getting caught was even aired in Germany or Britain.
    > Of course I may have missed it because I was also reading the live
    > reports, keeping an eye on the map for the next pave section and
    > listening to Duffield on 20 second delay. I just remember thinking,
    > "Oh, George isn't there anymore. Figures".
     
  11. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    The coverage reminded me CBS on an off year. Too much of Frankie talking
    and talking and.........Better to show racing. It seems as though they're
    trying to explain it to the OLN fishing and bull riding fans, and maybe Tom
    Kuinch. ;-)

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We

    got
    > > the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

    > covered
    > > at all.

    >
    > Agreed, great that we did have coverage. But it wasn't very good... the
    > first half-hour seemed useless, so, out of a 5+ hour race, you get

    one-half
    > hour of decent race coverage? No, if it was decent race coverage, there
    > wouldn't have been so much question during the final part of the race as

    to
    > where George Hincapie disappeared to.
    >
    > Seemed like they could have done a better job of cherry-picking the better
    > parts of the race to show, since it's put together hours before it's

    shown.
    > And they could have edited it better so we knew in semi-real-time what was
    > going on with George. It's not like they didn't play up George a lot

    before
    > and during the race!
    >
    > Maybe it will make more sense when I watch it again.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >
    >
     
  12. Howie Zolla

    Howie Zolla Guest

    I agree that it was better than nothing but they really could have
    done a better job editing it. It was hard to follow what was going
    on. Perhaps OLN needs to receive some feeback from cycling fans. The
    URL is http://www.olntv.com/feedback.asp.

    C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004041116012016807%[email protected]>...
    > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than nothing.
    >
    > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement that
    > he kept his bike up. Wow.
     
  13. "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

    nothing.
    >
    > In the good old days of CBS, maybe. But P-R was the opening salvo of an
    > agenda promising to bringing live coverage of the TdF to the unwashed
    > masses of US biking folks. That agenda was accomplished. Clearly, they
    > are scaling back. As a result, the P-R highlights was a hastily thrown
    > together montage of Arenberg, Cysoing and few other spots. Utterly
    > missing were the creation of the 5 man break that failed, the move that
    > brought Museeux to the front, the dropping of Hincapie, etc. In the last
    > year, a troubling trend has been progressing at OLN.
    >
    > 1. ESPN's morning weekend fare has been moved to OLN and given prime time
    > slots (hunting and bass fishing, Running of the Bulls in Trample-ona).
    >
    > 2. Indoor pro bull riding has taken over prime time
    >
    > 3. Imitation FOX Sports "You Gotta See This" amateur videos of fools
    > getting their just desserts doing things that simply shouldn't be aired
    > are on prime time.
    >
    > 4. Gone are the climbing.
    >
    > 5. Gone are mountain bike racing.
    >
    > 6. Gone are hiking and camping.
    >
    > 7. Gone are kayaking and river sports.
    >
    > 8. Gone are biking equipment reviews.
    >
    > In short, OLN has decided to ignore their mission and name and become
    > ESPN3, taking the fringe programs from ESPN, and removing their
    > own signature programs. Now, having succeeded in getting their commitment
    > to the live TdF, they are scaling back the other biking. P-R is a
    > casualty. I hope viewers are savvy enough to figure what will happen when
    > Armstrong retires...


    It sounds like OLN is becoming like OLN canada. All we get is the TDF, and
    the rest of the time it's dog shows, strong man contests, idiotic travel
    shows featuring emaciated hostesses, and nature shows. LIke we can't see
    half of that shit anywhere else. TSN shows strong man contests and dog
    shows, and nature shows are on nearly every channel in canada!
     
  14. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > nature shows are on nearly every channel in canada!


    That's because Canadians have such poor memories. It comes from shivering
    all the time.
     
  15. curt

    curt Guest

    Well you see the crowds they get when a race is going on in France. In the
    US, the crowds suck. We are too busy watching NASCAR or interested in huge
    powerful SUV's and whatever else is big and powerful. We don't care about
    cycling unfortunately. Here in Pittsburgh we had a race called the Thrift
    Drug Classic. It was a great race, but no one came to it. I mean no one.
    I could just drive down and park anywhere I wanted and watch where ever I
    pleased. There were more policeman at the race than fans or supporters. By
    the way, Lance was here racing in it and that didn't even make a difference.
    It was part of a series of races to win a million dollars.

    Look at the races in France. The streets are filled with cheering educated
    fans. Lets face it, they have it going on over there and we don't. Most
    everyone in the US just look at bicycles as an annoyance. We have a guy
    that already tied the record for the TdF and no one over here cares. If he
    wins 6 and becomes the all-time tour winner, maybe a few dozen people will
    notice over here.

    I will say one thing for Lance, he is focused and it doesn't seem to bother
    him he has very little support in his home country. He is amazingly strong
    mentally to say the least.

    Curt


    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We

    got
    > > the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

    > covered
    > > at all.

    >
    > So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
    > Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?
    >
    >
     
  16. Randy Walton

    Randy Walton Guest

    I think it's getting better. In Georgia you can always see a great crowd
    (30,000+) show up for the Twilight Criterium in Athens. Mind you the party
    is a big part of the draw. Last years Roswell Criterium brought in a pretty
    nice crowd of around 10-15,000. Tour de Georgia is expected to bring in
    some pretty hefty numbers. I think as more folks get familiar it's
    changing. Usually takes getting to a race here or there to start to
    appreciate the tactics, et al. I particularly think the crits help in that
    regard. Sure, it's not Europe but you gotta start somewhere.

    I know everyone I have ever taken to one always comes away excited and
    motivated to follow the sport.

    Hard to believe but growing up in Daytona Beach 30 years ago no one was at
    NASCAR but a small, shall we say eccentric, fan base. Now it's a main
    stream sport and the largest in the US. It could happen. May not be
    probable but it's possible.

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well you see the crowds they get when a race is going on in France. In

    the
    > US, the crowds suck. We are too busy watching NASCAR or interested in

    huge
    > powerful SUV's and whatever else is big and powerful. We don't care about
    > cycling unfortunately. Here in Pittsburgh we had a race called the Thrift
    > Drug Classic. It was a great race, but no one came to it. I mean no one.
    > I could just drive down and park anywhere I wanted and watch where ever I
    > pleased. There were more policeman at the race than fans or supporters.

    By
    > the way, Lance was here racing in it and that didn't even make a

    difference.
    > It was part of a series of races to win a million dollars.
    >
    > Look at the races in France. The streets are filled with cheering

    educated
    > fans. Lets face it, they have it going on over there and we don't. Most
    > everyone in the US just look at bicycles as an annoyance. We have a guy
    > that already tied the record for the TdF and no one over here cares. If

    he
    > wins 6 and becomes the all-time tour winner, maybe a few dozen people will
    > notice over here.
    >
    > I will say one thing for Lance, he is focused and it doesn't seem to

    bother
    > him he has very little support in his home country. He is amazingly

    strong
    > mentally to say the least.
    >
    > Curt
    >
    >
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We

    > got
    > > > the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was

    > > covered
    > > > at all.

    > >
    > > So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
    > > Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
  17. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<2004041116012016807%[email protected]>...
    > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

    nothing.
    > >
    > > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement

    that
    > > he kept his bike up. Wow.

    >
    > I hate the way OLN starts their coverage in the middle of the race.
    > The cut out a lot of the good early climbs in the TDF. It might be
    > nice if they had a post broadcast version that had clips from the
    > early parts of the race. I would like to see more behind the scenes
    > clips from the races.


    They do show clips from the earlier climbs, and they list the results of
    who got the mountain top points.
     
  18. Just need more baseball fans to wake up and see there are sports that
    can't be compared unfavorably to watching paint dry (in slow motion.)

    Randy Walton wrote:
    > I think it's getting better. In Georgia you can always see a great crowd
    > (30,000+) show up for the Twilight Criterium in Athens. Mind you the party
    > is a big part of the draw. Last years Roswell Criterium brought in a pretty
    > nice crowd of around 10-15,000. Tour de Georgia is expected to bring in
    > some pretty hefty numbers. I think as more folks get familiar it's
    > changing. Usually takes getting to a race here or there to start to
    > appreciate the tactics, et al. I particularly think the crits help in that
    > regard. Sure, it's not Europe but you gotta start somewhere.
    >
    > I know everyone I have ever taken to one always comes away excited and
    > motivated to follow the sport.
    >
    > Hard to believe but growing up in Daytona Beach 30 years ago no one was at
    > NASCAR but a small, shall we say eccentric, fan base. Now it's a main
    > stream sport and the largest in the US. It could happen. May not be
    > probable but it's possible.
    >
    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Well you see the crowds they get when a race is going on in France. In

    >
    > the
    >
    >>US, the crowds suck. We are too busy watching NASCAR or interested in

    >
    > huge
    >
    >>powerful SUV's and whatever else is big and powerful. We don't care about
    >>cycling unfortunately. Here in Pittsburgh we had a race called the Thrift
    >>Drug Classic. It was a great race, but no one came to it. I mean no one.
    >>I could just drive down and park anywhere I wanted and watch where ever I
    >>pleased. There were more policeman at the race than fans or supporters.

    >
    > By
    >
    >>the way, Lance was here racing in it and that didn't even make a

    >
    > difference.
    >
    >>It was part of a series of races to win a million dollars.
    >>
    >>Look at the races in France. The streets are filled with cheering

    >
    > educated
    >
    >>fans. Lets face it, they have it going on over there and we don't. Most
    >>everyone in the US just look at bicycles as an annoyance. We have a guy
    >>that already tied the record for the TdF and no one over here cares. If

    >
    > he
    >
    >>wins 6 and becomes the all-time tour winner, maybe a few dozen people will
    >>notice over here.
    >>
    >>I will say one thing for Lance, he is focused and it doesn't seem to

    >
    > bother
    >
    >>him he has very little support in his home country. He is amazingly

    >
    > strong
    >
    >>mentally to say the least.
    >>
    >>Curt
    >>
    >>
    >>"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>"curt" <[email protected]erizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>>>You must understand, the US is not a cycling country. France is. We

    >>
    >>got
    >>
    >>>>the coverage one would expect here in the US. I am surprised it was
    >>>
    >>>covered
    >>>
    >>>>at all.
    >>>
    >>>So tell me why I was in that cycling country for two weeks and until the
    >>>Tour stage in Paris I never saw a single Frenchman on a racing bike?
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>

    >
    >
     
  19. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > OLNTV does have an Email comments spot on their web page. I'd
    > strongly urge readers to give them their feelings.


    Unless you're going to send money, don't bother. It's a business....your
    best interest stops where theirs begins. You're seeing less cycling because
    you're seeing none of those annoying Mercury commercials. That's a big
    chunk of money to loose without another big sponsor to step up to the
    plate. Cycling is much like golf in this respect. Except for a few of the
    majors, golf sponsors pay way out of proportion for the number of eyeballs
    watching. They're paying for image among what they consider a prime
    demographic. When you consider that cycling's ratings are paltry in
    relationship to golf....well, you can imagine the difficulty in attracting
    sponsors. Sure, you'll see a whole bunch of Subaru and Nike around the
    Tour, but they're trading on thier relationship with Lance and that whole
    cult of personality. When he leaves cycling, so will their $$$. Without a
    big sponsor willing to throw their money at a small fan base that is viewed
    as being neither homogenous or brand-loyal, don't expect to see more
    cycling coverage any time soon.
     
  20. "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > C. Zoh <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<2004041116012016807%[email protected]>...
    > > > I thought it was completely disjointed, but I guess it's better than

    > nothing.
    > > >
    > > > How about that Leif Hoste and that flag? I am in utter amazement

    > that
    > > > he kept his bike up. Wow.

    > >
    > > I hate the way OLN starts their coverage in the middle of the race.
    > > The cut out a lot of the good early climbs in the TDF. It might be
    > > nice if they had a post broadcast version that had clips from the
    > > early parts of the race. I would like to see more behind the scenes
    > > clips from the races.

    >
    > They do show clips from the earlier climbs, and they list the results of
    > who got the mountain top points.


    True they do show some, I just wish they would show more. The coverage
    is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, which is plenty of time.
     
Loading...
Loading...