OLN Coverage Sucked

"Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Except for a few of the
> majors, golf sponsors pay way out of proportion for the number of eyeballs
> watching. They're paying for image among what they consider a prime
> demographic.

The greens fees at many upscale golf links are more for a single day than
you or I pay for a bicycle.

news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Except for a few of the
> > majors, golf sponsors pay way out of proportion for the number of

eyeballs
> > watching. They're paying for image among what they consider a prime
> > demographic.

> The greens fees at many upscale golf links are more for a single day than
> you or I pay for a bicycle.

Your bike only cost $100.00?

"James Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > "Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Except for a few of the
> > > majors, golf sponsors pay way out of proportion for the number of

> eyeballs
> > > watching. They're paying for image among what they consider a prime
> > > demographic.

> > The greens fees at many upscale golf links are more for a single day

than
> > you or I pay for a bicycle.
> >

> Your bike only cost $100.00?

My Colnago Super cost $175 and the greens fees at a golf course in Hawaii is
$270 a round PER PERSON and they want foursomes.

On 04/14/2004 09:42 AM, in article [email protected], "James
Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote:

> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> "Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Except for a few of the
>>> majors, golf sponsors pay way out of proportion for the number of

> eyeballs
>>> watching. They're paying for image among what they consider a prime
>>> demographic.

>> The greens fees at many upscale golf links are more for a single day than
>> you or I pay for a bicycle.
>>

> Your bike only cost $100.00?

Greens fees at Pebble Beach are pushing $400.00 last I checked ... And I
know a lot of people who balk at paying more than that for a bike.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BCA35AB2.2BC2C%[email protected]...
> On 04/14/2004 09:42 AM, in article [email protected], "James
> Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> >> "Tim Mullin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > eyeballs
> >>
> >> The greens fees at many upscale golf links are more for a single day

than
> >> you or I pay for a bicycle.

> > Your bike only cost $100.00?

> Greens fees at Pebble Beach are pushing $400.00 last I checked ... And I
> know a lot of people who balk at paying more than that for a bike.

I think that my favorite bike, the Basso Loto, cost me $275 for frame and
fork. I had an older Campy group laying around waiting for it and got some
9-speed levers for a song. I paid almost $4K for my Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1
and I hardly ride it because I hate to take out something that expensive to
get all dirty. My latest Merckx is the EX titanium and it cost about what a
foursome at Hawaii does.

Anyone know what the Atlanta Golf Club charges? Bet it ain't hay.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BCA35AB2.2BC2C%[email protected]...
> > On 04/14/2004 09:42 AM, in article [email protected], "James
> > Calivar" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:eek:[email protected]...
> > > eyeballs

> than
> > >
> > > Your bike only cost $100.00?

> > Greens fees at Pebble Beach are pushing $400.00 last I checked ... And I
> > know a lot of people who balk at paying more than that for a bike.

> I think that my favorite bike, the Basso Loto, cost me $275 for frame and
> fork. I had an older Campy group laying around waiting for it and got some
> 9-speed levers for a song. I paid almost $4K for my Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1
> and I hardly ride it because I hate to take out something that expensive to
> get all dirty. My latest Merckx is the EX titanium and it cost about what a
> foursome at Hawaii does.
>
> Anyone know what the Atlanta Golf Club charges? Bet it ain't hay.

So what? It's a once in a lifetime thing and you'll always remember how
much you enjoyed it. I suppose you don't believe in vacations that
might cost you $400 a day including all of the associated costs? And,
the people who might pay $400 to play at Pebble Beach probably aren't
interested in riding your Basso.

BTW, if you pay your $40 annual dues to the NorCal Golf Assoc. you can
play at their tournament-class course right near Pebble Beach for about
$45 during the week. The worst is near Scotsdale, AZ where you have to
pay $80-$120 to play on an ordinary course.

-WG

On 04/14/2004 10:11 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I paid almost $4K for my Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1
> and I hardly ride it because I hate to take out something that expensive to
> get all dirty.

Repeat after me. "It's just a bike. It's okay to get it dirty. It's okay
to ride it in the rain. It's okay to get it muddy and greasy."

And you don't even have to worry about salt.

It's supposed to rain today. I think I'll ride my 2003 Record/Richard Sachs
to work.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On 04/14/2004 11:14 PM, in article 140420042213080862%[email protected],
"warren" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tom
> Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:BCA35AB2.2BC2C%[email protected]...

>> than

>>> Greens fees at Pebble Beach are pushing $400.00 last I checked ... And I
>>> know a lot of people who balk at paying more than that for a bike.

>> I think that my favorite bike, the Basso Loto, cost me $275 for frame and
>> fork. I had an older Campy group laying around waiting for it and got some
>> 9-speed levers for a song. I paid almost $4K for my Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1
>> and I hardly ride it because I hate to take out something that expensive to
>> get all dirty. My latest Merckx is the EX titanium and it cost about what a
>> foursome at Hawaii does.
>>
>> Anyone know what the Atlanta Golf Club charges? Bet it ain't hay.

> So what? It's a once in a lifetime thing and you'll always remember how
> much you enjoyed it. I suppose you don't believe in vacations that
> might cost you $400 a day including all of the associated costs? And,
> the people who might pay $400 to play at Pebble Beach probably aren't
> interested in riding your Basso.
>
> BTW, if you pay your $40 annual dues to the NorCal Golf Assoc. you can
> play at their tournament-class course right near Pebble Beach for about
> $45 during the week. The worst is near Scotsdale, AZ where you have to
> pay $80-$120 to play on an ordinary course.

Only in the winter.

During the summer, most of the courses in Scottsdale are much cheaper,
according to my step-dad in Fountain Hills and my step-brother, who lives at
Troon North near Pinnacle Peak.

Of course, in the summer, the best tee-times are around 6:00 am.

--

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well you see the crowds they get when a race is going on in France. In the
> US, the crowds suck. We are too busy watching NASCAR or interested in huge
> powerful SUV's and whatever else is big and powerful. We don't care about
> cycling unfortunately. Here in Pittsburgh we had a race called the Thrift
> Drug Classic. It was a great race, but no one came to it. I mean no one.
> I could just drive down and park anywhere I wanted and watch where ever I
> pleased. There were more policeman at the race than fans or supporters. By
> the way, Lance was here racing in it and that didn't even make a difference.
> It was part of a series of races to win a million dollars.
>
> Look at the races in France. The streets are filled with cheering educated
> fans. Lets face it, they have it going on over there and we don't. Most
> everyone in the US just look at bicycles as an annoyance. We have a guy
> that already tied the record for the TdF and no one over here cares. If he
> wins 6 and becomes the all-time tour winner, maybe a few dozen people will
> notice over here.
>
> I will say one thing for Lance, he is focused and it doesn't seem to bother
> him he has very little support in his home country. He is amazingly strong
> mentally to say the least.
>
> Curt

Curt,

You must have been on the wrong part of the Thrift Drug race course
because there were huge crowds on the Burma Road and at the finish.
OLN coverage of P-R was not as good as past years. But man you can't
fault their coverage of the PBR. They really do a great job of
bringing out each bull's personality in the Up Close segments with the
star bulls. The greatest 8 seconds in sport (though only about 2
sconds most of the time)over and over and over and over... Forget
cycling. Bull riding ROCKS!