OLN Forum



barnstorm

New Member
Mar 1, 2005
358
0
0
for the past two years around the TDF, OLN has had a discussion forum like this that was very active and interesting. Right after the tour, the past two years, the forum disappears. I wrote OLN to ask what happened and they didn't return my email... they never return my emails. Has anyone been on that forum? Does anyone know what happened???
 

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
4
38
barnstorm said:
for the past two years around the TDF, OLN has had a discussion forum like this that was very active and interesting. Right after the tour, the past two years, the forum disappears. I wrote OLN to ask what happened and they didn't return my email... they never return my emails. Has anyone been on that forum? Does anyone know what happened???

I posted on there occaisionally. There was originally a lot of praise when OLN started covering extra races like the classics and the Vuelta - then when OLN started cutting back on bike coverage there were threads started about how bad OLN sucked and things got worse from there. I'm surprised they kept it alive as long as they did.
 

mareblu

New Member
Mar 16, 2004
363
0
0
DiabloScott said:
I posted on there occaisionally. There was originally a lot of praise when OLN started covering extra races like the classics and the Vuelta - then when OLN started cutting back on bike coverage there were threads started about how bad OLN sucked and things got worse from there. I'm surprised they kept it alive as long as they did.


I never understood why they can't broadcast other races such as Il Giro D'Italia and the Spring Classics? :eek:
 

whiteboytrash

New Member
Mar 9, 2005
5,402
0
0
barnstorm said:
for the past two years around the TDF, OLN has had a discussion forum like this that was very active and interesting. Right after the tour, the past two years, the forum disappears. I wrote OLN to ask what happened and they didn't return my email... they never return my emails. Has anyone been on that forum? Does anyone know what happened???
They weren't paying enough to have WBT posting there......
 

micron

New Member
Jun 19, 2003
598
2
0
I used to post there frequently - and it was a minority who complained about coverage - and then, generally, to ask for me - and most of these were new fans, attracted by the TdF and wanting to see what else was out there.

The board generally stayed open most of the year but they seem to have shut it this time because of the adverse comments of the ice hockey fans - who had a genuine grievance about the coverage (aren't whoever oversees ice hockey also highly peed off about the **** coverage).

The board did seem to have an independent life and a good community and OLN really did seem to be oversensitive about any criticism
 

Chance3290

New Member
Oct 1, 2004
621
0
0
mareblu said:
I never understood why they can't broadcast other races such as Il Giro D'Italia and the Spring Classics? :eek:
It can only be that the cost of sending Phil and Paul and Bobke over there with their giant trailer is too great and their advertising income is too little. Its a lot cheaper to show the bull-riding/bbq/RV/fishing show and six daily hours of Survivor repeats.
OLN-Old show Lazy Network?
 

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
4
38
Chance3290 said:
It can only be that the cost of sending Phil and Paul and Bobke over there with their giant trailer is too great and their advertising income is too little. Its a lot cheaper to show the bull-riding/bbq/RV/fishing show and six daily hours of Survivor repeats.
OLN-Old show Lazy Network?

Other than the Tour, Phil and Paul and Bobke were usually in an OLN studio in New Hampshire or someplace, commentating on live coverage from Europe. It's more expensive than rodeo, but it's not as expensive as a travelling road show.
 

Traffic Jammer

New Member
Nov 5, 2005
130
0
0
Besides if racing coverage were done right and getting the numbers it deserves it would be on it's own digital channel within a season, then I'd NEVER get to see anything.
 

noonievut

New Member
Jul 5, 2004
328
0
0
I'd be interested to see the viewing statistics for the spring classics, which they had last year, vs. bull riding or Survivor repeats. One would think it's simple revenue vs. expense, and I would think if they have the viewers, then they have the advertising $ so it would be worth it. I'm not sure the cost of broadcasting the spring classics or the Giro though.

I mean if they had the chance to host the Superbowl would they? I don't get it, however, if the amount of viewers was low and we're the minority, nothing we can do about it.