OLN fouls up

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan Tompkins, May 30, 2003.

  1. Dan Tompkins

    Dan Tompkins Guest

    My local TV guide says, "bicycle racing" on OLN 8-9 PM. So I click on and get jerks killing mammals.

    What is happening? I go to the OLN website and find that the Giro has been done during daytime hours
    but not tonight. We miss the last mountain stage for this junk?

    I don't know what's up, but I'm definitely unhappy. Not only do they ignore a key event, they
    mislead viewers. I hope folks will make their feelings known.

    Dan Tompkins

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    My feelings are, I'm grateful that OLN is carrying the cycling coverage they have. Sure it could be
    better. It could also be alot worse. Remember the espn coverage with Karsten ? (whatever his name
    was). He's a football analyst!

    I think we better appreciate OLN rather than knock them.

    Bob C.

    "Dan Tompkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My local TV guide says, "bicycle racing" on OLN 8-9 PM. So I click on and get jerks killing
    > mammals.
    >
    > What is happening? I go to the OLN website and find that the Giro has been done during daytime
    > hours but not tonight. We miss the last mountain stage for this junk?
    >
    > I don't know what's up, but I'm definitely unhappy. Not only do they ignore a key event, they
    > mislead viewers. I hope folks will make their feelings known.
    >
    > Dan Tompkins

  3. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    "Dan Tompkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My local TV guide says, "bicycle racing" on OLN 8-9 PM. So I click on and get jerks killing
    > mammals.
    >
    > What is happening? I go to the OLN website and find that the Giro has been done during daytime
    > hours but not tonight. We miss the last mountain stage for this junk?
    >
    > I don't know what's up, but I'm definitely unhappy. Not only do they ignore a key event, they
    > mislead viewers. I hope folks will make their feelings known.
    >
    > Dan Tompkins

    How quickly people forget that just a few short years ago there was NO cycling on TV. Now OLN covers
    most of the classics, all of the 3 major tours and runs a highlight show on Thursdays covering many
    other races. So there was some mix up on the evening show - THE SECOND BROADCAST OF THE DAY! They
    still did broadcast the stage at 9:30am, like they have done for the whole Giro.

    I didn't miss the coverage. Taped the 9:30am broadcast. It was a good stage. Too bad you missed it!

    My feelings... Great job OLN. Dan Tompkins - stop your cry baby whining...

    Wade

  4. "Dan Tompkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hope folks will make
    > their feelings known.

    Known to who? This newsgroup?

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  5. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    >So I click on and get jerks killing mammals.

    OLNs programming is pretty scary. I mean, we are as marginal a viewership as I could imagine, then I
    see the ATV enduro racing and reruns of Roland Martin fishing shows, followed by the gun freak shows
    (how bout this here Vulcan??!!??), then you get Pro Bull Riding. I can't imagine anyone watching all
    of that stuff (Kunich?), or advertisers buying airtime. Notice all the dead air during some Giro
    replays? I don't see how they can stay on the air. Hopefully I am wrong. Greg Miller who got into
    racing after watching Joob and Bernard fighting it out in Le Tour sometime back around '80 on the
    Wide World of Sports

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Dan Tompkins wrote:
    > My local TV guide says, "bicycle racing" on OLN 8-9 PM. So I click on and get jerks killing
    > mammals.
    >
    > What is happening? I go to the OLN website and find that the Giro has been done during daytime
    > hours but not tonight. We miss the last mountain stage for this junk?
    >
    > I don't know what's up, but I'm definitely unhappy. Not only do they ignore a key event, they
    > mislead viewers. I hope folks will make their feelings known.
    >
    > Dan Tompkins

    Just a WAG, but I think the Everest project has thrown a wrench into their whole schedule. Hopefully
    they'll get more predictable after this Sunday.

    But, it would take just a $30K/yr web master to keep the schedule current.

  7. followed by the gun freak shows (how bout this here
    > Vulcan??!!??), then you get Pro Bull Riding. I can't imagine anyone
    watching
    > all of that stuff

    The Vulcan was cool, did you watch? If you would have watched the pro bull riding you would have
    noticed that some of the cowboys were wearing helmets with face masks. I thought, without the
    cowboy hat on, it wasn't the same. I'm a bike helmet all the time type of guy, but seeing the
    bull riders wearing them wasn't in the spirit of that sport, in my opinion.

  8. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I see, you've never had a 'horn' in your mouth before. Or a hoof on your head either? Good thing the
    Giro boys have had theirs on; they live to ride again. The idea is the same in biking and bull
    riding (the most dangerous part of rodeo).

    Tom

  9. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Wade Summers wrote:
    > How quickly people forget that just a few short years ago there was NO cycling on TV. Now OLN
    > covers most of the classics, all of the 3 major tours and runs a highlight show on Thursdays
    > covering many other races.

    Amen!

    But I notice on the OLN webpage (and broadcast commercials) a definite absence of mention of the
    Vuelta this year. Do we know for certain that OLN is covering the Vuelta this year?

    Regards,
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Mark Janeba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Wade Summers wrote:
    > > How quickly people forget that just a few short years ago there was NO cycling on TV. Now OLN
    > > covers most of the classics, all of the 3 major tours and runs a highlight show on Thursdays
    > > covering many other races.
    >
    > Amen!
    >
    > But I notice on the OLN webpage (and broadcast commercials) a definite absence of mention of the
    > Vuelta this year. Do we know for certain that OLN is covering the Vuelta this year?
    >
    > Regards,

    They probably will, but haven't gone that far ahead in the schedule.

  11. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I see, you've never had a 'horn' in your mouth before. Or a hoof on your head either? Good thing
    > the Giro boys have had theirs on; they live to ride again.
    The
    > idea is the same in biking and bull riding (the most dangerous part of rodeo).
    >
    > Tom

    Most dangerous?

    Very dangerous for bull.

    Dashii