OLN: Is Bob Roll A Hack?

I agree that Bob Roll obviously knows the sport as well as anyone. I can't believe the Trautwig person, though... The way he was arguing with Phil and Paul at the end of the stage before the rest day about how boring the Tour has been so far, and not letting them answer! What does he want - Lance in a bunch sprint every day running Robbie McEwan into the barriers? It's been the most exciting first week for ages!

Rudy said:
What I can't stand about Bob is his pronounciation of "Tour DAY France" and his unwillingness to change that redneck pronouciation.

Agh! Please Bob, see this post, and loose the Tour DAY FRANTZ ********! :eek:

Rudy said:
What I can't stand about Bob is his pronounciation of "Tour DAY France" and his unwillingness to change that redneck pronouciation.

He's doing it to ******** the French :) Maybe they were cruel to him in print while he was racing, and so this is his payback :)

Keep in mind that his pronunciation of ALL the Tour locations in France during his commentary like Col D'Aspin, Tourmalet, Le Mongie, and even more difficult ones, and even the riders names most of which would twist an average tongue off like Extebarria, Moncoutie, Hinault, etc etc, are all perfect...

If indeed his pronunciation of "de" is some deficiency in his language skills, then why does he say "Le Tour" as "Leh Tour" and not "Lay Tour"?

I think its an attempt by him to stamp his defiance on the fact that in the US we have literally HUNDREDS of French phrases and words in English which we pronounce in French, and they in turn have Government Summits to create new French words to replace english words which previously had no term in French... All so they don't ever have to speak a lick of English, or any other language. I'm not saying that this is evil of them per se, only that it does get the hackles up "just" enough to want to needle them with "Tour Day France" :)

Plus I think his personal anedotes can be kind of funny...

I like watching the contrasting styles of Phil and Paul vs Bob as well... Phil and Paul do the live coverage commentary with Al and Bob doing the "expanded coverage" later in the evening... Its funny hearing the difference between how they react and comment on the same situation :)

Phil: Oh and what have we here! it seems a spectator has just run in front there, in front of (rider x), and that was a close thing... Yes indeed and as he looks back it seems that its put him in a spot of bother by interupting the pace... Please Mr Spectator, stay out of the way...

Bob: and we just had some idiot run in front of (rider x) and it looks like he's giving the guy a look, Maybe he's thinking of hopping off his bike and explaining the problem to the guy with his fist...

LoL!

Which one do YOU identify most with :)

If you want to complain about something PLEASE complain about the Cutters! I feel so damn sorry for Kirsten Gum... those Cutter guys are... agh, I can't even slam them effectively since they do a better job of slamming themselves with their ridiculous presence... The French probably consider them stupid, idiotic Americans and on that point the French and I are completely on the same page! Did OLN predict a large 7 year old demographic for the Tour coverage?!?!

Feanor said:
If you want to complain about something PLEASE complain about the Cutters! I feel so damn sorry for Kirsten Gum... those Cutter guys are... agh, I can't even slam them effectively since they do a better job of slamming themselves with their ridiculous presence... The French probably consider them stupid, idiotic Americans and on that point the French and I are completely on the same page! Did OLN predict a large 7 year old demographic for the Tour coverage?!?!
I agree Feanor. The Cutters suck, although I am extremely jealous of the priviledged access they are getting at the tour. I watched one stage of the Roadside Tour with those dweebs and haven't watched it since. I'll just stick with Phil, Paul, and Bobke. Too bad they don't throw the Kirsten Gum spots in with P,P, and B. She is actually much better than last year. Although, she looks totally diffferent this year and I can't figure out what it is that has changed (besides the **** job)

birdman23 said:
I agree Feanor. The Cutters suck, although I am extremely jealous of the priviledged access they are getting at the tour. I watched one stage of the Roadside Tour with those dweebs and haven't watched it since. I'll just stick with Phil, Paul, and Bobke. Too bad they don't throw the Kirsten Gum spots in with P,P, and B. She is actually much better than last year. Although, she looks totally diffferent this year and I can't figure out what it is that has changed (besides the **** job)

**** job? What makes you think that?

It's her hair that's different.

Either way Kirsten Gum needs more air time. She was ok last year and certainly didnt deserved to be marginalized by having to babysit the cutters (tards). I do like the guy with the glasses who does the 5 min. tourist segment during the pre-show.

As far as Bobke goes I like that fact that he takes some of the stuffiness out of cycling. He makes it more approachable and puts a lot of humor into a sport that isnt viewed in the best of lights here in the states.

Aztec said:
**** job? What makes you think that?

It's her hair that's different.

Birdman is right on the money Aztec... OLN has tuned down her change in appearance pre 2004 Tour DRAMATICALLY. I'm not certain if this was done because of public sentiment over the change, or if she simply wised up.

Someone in the forum posted an image of her from one of the 2004 pre-race shows sometime in June and I kid you not, it looked as though she turned into a Rave Goth clubbie! Complete with the lacy black blouse and dark eye makeup!

Now that she is wearing the OLN LL Bean sweatshirts/coats/etc her upper body "work" is FAR less noticeable, though still discernable even in the larger frumpy clothes than from last year.

You were correct though and her hair is different... Shorter bob I think...

What I'm trying to decide now is whether the rave look is the real Kirsten off camera, or if she adopted that look for this year to guage opinion about the image change.

For me, I'll always go with the "girl next door" look, and thought she was far more attractive in her more "natural state"

Feanor

jstraw said:
Does Bobke know what he's talking about? Are you serious?

the bottom line is "Bobke" looks like he is mildly retarded...and as my girlfriend bluntly put it "he seems like he just stumbled out of his trailer where he was drinking beer in a recliner and watching tv."

ey3dea414 said:
the bottom line is "Bobke" looks like he is mildly retarded...and as my girlfriend bluntly put it "he seems like he just stumbled out of his trailer where he was drinking beer in a recliner and watching tv."

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA, wow, laughed out loud!

ey3dea414 said:
And your point would be...........

mmpc001 said:
I think Roll is hilarious and brings a welcome bit of craziness to the Tour. I also think he and Trautwig play off each other quite well. My favorite thing is to watch his hand gestures. He nearly always starts speaking with his hands together - fingertips touching. His other gesticulating rarely fits and it's obvious he's been to see an image consultant. :D More power to Bobke...
>>>>

I like Bob Roll, I'd like to rub his belly too. :)

Salsa Rider said:
And your point would be...........

I'm with you on that one Salsa... I suppose his girlfriend must have meant he looked like some French guy stumbled out of Caravan where he was blowing the froth of a guiness and watching football (soccer) because I don't know many trailer parks in this country where guys come stumbling out and can pronounce Castelsarrasin, Bourg d'Oisans, and Plateau de Beille...

Maybe its just me though :)

Heck, if I don't already look mildly retarded right now, I wouldn't mind looking a bit more that way if it meant I could have half the cycling trophies that Roll has on his mantle...

Have a good one!

Feanor

"i can't imagine that i am alone on this one

Oh my god, how can anyone complain? Let's be thankful we are not being subjected to that damned Kirsten Gum. Whoa. Listening to her was the true pain. I don't know if she knew how to ride a bike let alone how to discuss world class cycling.

He is a great American cyclist and has first hand experience riding the tour. I think his responses to those silly questions from AOL users are appropriate. "How do they go pee?". Seriously? I would have given a smartass answer too.

Plus what about those freakin sideburns? I 'd like to see anyone of these people ride a single stage of the tour with a beaver strapped to each cheek.
Good form Bob.

I believe the famous hand gesture is the international sign for grapefruit.

Vive lé Bob.

isaacx said:
I believe the famous hand gesture is the international sign for grapefruit.
I was thinking of starting the "Bob Roll Drinking Game" where one takes a chug each time he makes that gesture. You'd be drunk in no time... :p

some thoughts...Bob Roll loves Bob Roll! which was sort of fun the first week of the tour, but at this point it is just plain annoying. He is not a hack, but his rambling commentary just doesn't add anything to the broadcast. And poor Al Trautwig is just as lost as he was twenty years ago when he started covering the tour.

I hate the "expanded" coverage featuring Al and Bob pretending to be Paul and Phil. Pure heresy, I say!

Paul and Phil are, of course, incredible as usual and I frankly don't know why OLN bothers with anyone else in the booth.

That said...Craig Hummer (the guy who usually interviews Lance after each stage) is most underrated member of the team: old school style journalist with clear concise and informed questions. Next year, I think he would be the perfect replacement for both Bob and Al.

blowout67 said:
omg ty! lmao
I don't think Bob is a hack cycling wise... but as a commentator, he's definitely a hack. No elegance and no sense of grace. It's sorta of a bummer that he comes off as a clown. Seriously most people who have no idea who Bob Roll is thinks he's unbearable. Even those commercials he's doing makes him look foolish. Underneath his nuttiness and major "hand gesture talking" - he's an excellent racer of yesteryear and has a lot of insight.

He was riding hard when cycling and TDF meant nothing in the states.

There are many sports icons that know their game but it doesn't necessarily mean they can be good TV personalities. But for now, since Cycling has very little media coverage and media icons, I encourage Bob Roll to stick with it. He's our "Terry Bradshaw" the way I look at it (For the folks who don't know Bradshaw... he's the legendary quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers with multiple Super Bowl rings and is the NFL poster boy goof off).

Viva Bob and his crazy ways,

Nicholas

Rudy said:
I've only been using the name for 66 years, but there are 2 "r"s in Armstrong, and I appreciate hearing both of them. Let's trample Phil and Paul for pronouncing it Ahmstrong. Time for a language lesson for these two.

What slur do you have for them? By the way, your roots are showing in your spelling of pronunciation.

arms said:
I've only been using the name for 66 years, but there are 2 "r"s in Armstrong, and I appreciate hearing both of them. Let's trample Phil and Paul for pronouncing it Ahmstrong. Time for a language lesson for these two.

What slur do you have for them? By the way, your roots are showing in your spelling of pronunciation.

Don't diss Phil. He is the man, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to cycling. He has an accent. So? His pronunciations are going to be different from yours. And your roots show by not understanding people speak differently...

Originally Posted by Rudy

I read somewhere that he does it intentionally.