OLN Sunday TDF coverage bashing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Jacoubowsk, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, CBS is a terrible travesty compared to what we get from OLN, but I think we have to put this in
    perspective.

Those of us in the US (with OLN) are getting the TDF spoon-fed to us, several times a day. Little
    glitches here and there, but let's face it, we're getting coverage that just a few years ago we
    assumed we'd *never* see in the US.

If, to pay for that coverage, OLN has to sell their soul to CBS one day a week, I think it's worth
    it. The alternative might be some bean counter looking at the numbers and thinking hey, we get a lot
    more money for fishing shows, let's bag this TDF thing...

I'd love to think that cycling will become so popular here in the US that OLN won't know what to do
    with all the people trying to advertise during the coverage, and they could then pass on whatever
    blood money they get from CBS. But I'm not holding my breath.

I don't even know what sort of dollar figure I'd put on being able to get up in the morning, turn on
    the TV and watch the TDF and hear Phil & Paul. In fact, it's one of the few things I miss when I go
    to France to watch the TDF in person. What a great way to start the day!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Tags:

2. Nick Burns

Nick Burns Guest

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, CBS is a terrible travesty compared to what we get from OLN, but I think we have to put this
    > in perspective.
    >
    > Those of us in the US (with OLN) are getting the TDF spoon-fed to us, several times a day. Little
    > glitches here and there, but let's face it, we're getting coverage that just a few years ago we
    > assumed we'd *never*
    see
    > in the US.
    >
    > If, to pay for that coverage, OLN has to sell their soul to CBS one day a week, I think it's worth
    > it. The alternative might be some bean counter looking at the numbers and thinking hey, we get a
    > lot more money for
    fishing
    > shows, let's bag this TDF thing...
    >
    > I'd love to think that cycling will become so popular here in the US that OLN won't know what to
    > do with all the people trying to advertise during
    the
    > coverage, and they could then pass on whatever blood money they get from CBS. But I'm not holding
    > my breath.
    >
    > I don't even know what sort of dollar figure I'd put on being able to get
    up
    > in the morning, turn on the TV and watch the TDF and hear Phil & Paul. In fact, it's one of the
    > few things I miss when I go to France to watch the
    TDF
    > in person. What a great way to start the day!
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >

If it was PPV, I would pay $50 to $75 for the whole event, or if it was daily I would pay up to $20
    for any mountaintop finish and probably up to $10 for ITTs or $20 for the last ITT if I thought
    there would be any chance that it could change the podium. Those prices assume no commercials (hey,
    it is PPV!). If it was in HDTV, double all of the above prices.

3. Henry

Henry Guest

I wonder if OLN had less diluted viewership having it this evening rather than showing it morning,
    afternoon and evening. They may have gotten a bigger bang for buck on airtime, too, to help
    subsidize the rest of the coverage...just a thought...

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, CBS is a terrible travesty compared to what we get from OLN, but I think we have to put this
    > in perspective.
    >
    > Those of us in the US (with OLN) are getting the TDF spoon-fed to us, several times a day. Little
    > glitches here and there, but let's face it, we're getting coverage that just a few years ago we
    > assumed we'd *never*
    see
    > in the US.
    >
    > If, to pay for that coverage, OLN has to sell their soul to CBS one day a week, I think it's worth
    > it. The alternative might be some bean counter looking at the numbers and thinking hey, we get a
    > lot more money for
    fishing
    > shows, let's bag this TDF thing...
    >
    > I'd love to think that cycling will become so popular here in the US that OLN won't know what to
    > do with all the people trying to advertise during
    the
    > coverage, and they could then pass on whatever blood money they get from CBS. But I'm not holding
    > my breath.
    >
    > I don't even know what sort of dollar figure I'd put on being able to get
    up
    > in the morning, turn on the TV and watch the TDF and hear Phil & Paul. In fact, it's one of the
    > few things I miss when I go to France to watch the
    TDF
    > in person. What a great way to start the day!
    >

4. Raptor

Raptor Guest

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > do with all the people trying to advertise during the coverage, and they could then pass on
    > whatever blood money they get from CBS. But I'm not holding my breath.

I sense this happening, well a very mild version. ISTR hearing that half a million viewed last
    year's Tour on OLN, and there is some more diversity in the advertisers this year. OLN has expanded
    its broadcasting team, which means a larger budget. I also sense more overall interest in the Tour
    from the American population in general, though that could just be me.

IT might only be a year or two before OLN gets outbid for the Tour, but that's probably unlikely.

If LANCE wins this year, NEXT year will be comparatively huge. And damn interesting to boot. If
    LANCE continues to struggle to this extent this year, but wins, imagine what next year will look
    like. (I assume he'll go for six.)

--
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

5. David Ryan

David Ryan Guest

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >
    > in perspective.
    >
    > assumed we'd *never* see in the US.
    >
    > lot more money for fishing shows, let's bag this TDF thing...
    >
    > do with all the people trying to advertise during the coverage, and they could then pass on
    > whatever blood money they get from CBS. But I'm not holding my breath.
    >
    > I don't even know what sort of dollar figure I'd put on being able to get up in the morning, turn
    > on the TV and watch the TDF and hear Phil & Paul. In fact, it's one of the few things I miss when
    > I go to France to watch the TDF in person. What a great way to start the day!
    >

OLN *buys* the 3 weekly hours on CBS in order to advertise its broadcasting of the Tour. Then they
    sell the other advertising back to CBS as part of the deal and voluntarily don't show it live in
    order to sell the maximum rating for them to CBS.

<out my ass> http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/2002/0705/1402384.html </out my ass

6. Rich Clark

Rich Clark Guest

Frankie Andreu says:

"Part of the contract with the Tour de France and OLN is that a network station also has to cover
    the race. The Tour show must be broadcast to a national audience and not just to a cable network.

"The deal OLN has is with CBS. Every Sunday, CBS broadcasts the Tour on their national channel."

http://www.uspsprocycling.com/02news/03tdf_fa_0707.htm

RichC

7. Fred Marx

Fred Marx Guest

Rich Clark wrote:

> Frankie Andreu says:
    >
    > "Part of the contract with the Tour de France and OLN is that a network station also has to cover
    > the race. The Tour show must be broadcast to a national audience and not just to a cable network.
    >
    > "The deal OLN has is with CBS. Every Sunday, CBS broadcasts the Tour on their national channel."

in a piss poor manner as we all know.......

>
    > http://www.uspsprocycling.com/02news/03tdf_fa_0707.htm
    >
    > RichC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.