OLN TdF coverage - things I'd like to see

melslur

Oct 31, 2005
I was never a fan of the OLN TdF covereage. I always thought they did not answer the obvious questions for the average non-cyclist tv watcher. Then I just got annoyed when they read someone's question as to how the riders go the "washroom" in a 4 hour race, and OLN proceeded to talk about a catheder going to an evaporative sponge in the back of the jersey. For God's sake, I think I could do better. So here's my list of a few obvious questions. Do you guys have others?

1) Why are there no black guys? Or for that matter, how about the asians?
2) Who is the race this year but wasn't in last year, and vice-versa? List everyone on the first day of coverage.
3) Can I buy a bike like the ones the pros ride? Do they have custom geometry & parts? OLN talks a bit about this, but not too much.
4) I saw on Trek's website last year that some riders had one bike and others had a different bike. Do all the guys on the team have the same bike, and if not, why?
5) What are the rules governing the bikes? OLN talks a bit about the 15 lb (approx) minimum, but how about other rules likes angles, handlebars, etc..?What would the bikes look like if it were not for the rules?
6) How does the business work? I was never sure last year if Lance owned (or partially owned) his team, or if was he just the #1 rider. So off to the internet, and I'm still not sure.
I'm not trying to get answers here to above; I just wanted to see if you guys thought OLN could do better for the average tv watcher.

melslur said:
QUOTE]
Are you sure you want to ask that question?

My question is:
What do female competitors do when its that time of the month? Not just in cycling either but other sports as well. Makes me glad I'm not female.

And:
When is this forum going to get a bigger server?

melslur said:
I was never a fan of the OLN TdF covereage. I always thought they did not answer the obvious questions for the average non-cyclist tv watcher. Then I just got annoyed when they read someone's question as to how the riders go the "washroom" in a 4 hour race, and OLN proceeded to talk about a catheder going to an evaporative sponge in the back of the jersey. For God's sake, I think I could do better. So here's my list of a few obvious questions. Do you guys have others?

2) Who is the race this year but wasn't in last year, and vice-versa? List everyone on the first day of coverage.
3) Can I buy a bike like the ones the pros ride? Do they have custom geometry & parts? OLN talks a bit about this, but not too much.
4) I saw on Trek's website last year that some riders had one bike and others had a different bike. Do all the guys on the team have the same bike, and if not, why?
5) What are the rules governing the bikes? OLN talks a bit about the 15 lb (approx) minimum, but how about other rules likes angles, handlebars, etc..?What would the bikes look like if it were not for the rules?
6) How does the business work? I was never sure last year if Lance owned (or partially owned) his team, or if was he just the #1 rider. So off to the internet, and I'm still not sure.
I'm not trying to get answers here to above; I just wanted to see if you guys thought OLN could do better for the average tv watcher.
You are assuming there will be OLN coverage. This year is like the obligatory contractual obligations albums done by musicians; there will be coverage but in name only. As for next year don't hold your breath.

I went back and watched some old 1980's CBS/ABC coverage and that **** made OLN seem like Citizen Kane by comparison. Forgot how bad they were (and I had edited out Pierre Salinger and the rest of the travelogue stuff).

thebluetrain said:
melslur said:
QUOTE]
Are you sure you want to ask that question?

My question is:
What do female competitors do when its that time of the month? Not just in cycling either but other sports as well. Makes me glad I'm not female.

And:
When is this forum going to get a bigger server?
There are black (like many of the guys who race the Tour du Fasso - shown by OLN the last two years and put on by Credit Lyonaise of TDF fame) and asian (like Fumiyuki Beppu of Team Discovery for one) guys out there for sure. The question more appropriate question to not ask is why they haven't been able to break into the European race scene.

2nd question - that's what tampons are for - would you like a detailed description of how they work?

Eden said:
There are black (like many of the guys who race the Tour du Fasso - shown by OLN the last two years and put on by Credit Lyonaise of TDF fame) and asian (like Fumiyuki Beppu of Team Discovery for one) guys out there for sure. The question more appropriate question to not ask is why they haven't been able to break into the European race scene.

My collegiate racing team had lots of ethnicities besides European, but then they all went on to have collegiate type careers.

Eden said:
2nd question - that's what tampons are for - would you like a detailed description of how they work?

No, but I would like to be assured by a woman that they're comfortable in that application.

melslur said:

As to your question #6, read this article about Thomas Weisal, the man behind Lance and the partnership (Tailwind Sports) that acutally owns the team. http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2005-09-07/news/smith_full.html

Lance happens to also be a limited partner in Tailwind. It's just like NASCAR where companies or individuals own a team, then go out and contract with companies like Discovery and Trek to give money, goods and services for the right to sponsor a team.

Eden said:

I know what a tampon is for(give me a little credit, I am married;) ). I was talking about the cramps part of it. The last thing I would want to do is deal with cramps on race day.

thebluetrain said:
I know what a tampon is for(give me a little credit, I am married;) ). I was talking about the cramps part of it. The last thing I would want to do is deal with cramps on race day.

thought that seemed like a bit of a silly question for a modern guy ;)
have to say that every one of us is different. Some women get bad cramps some don't get any at all. I'm in the fairly lucky group. I don't get anything too bad - a couple of advil and I'm good to go. Plus interestingly enough hard exercise for me tends to make any cramping that I do get dissappear. The worst thing that I find is that I feel little extra tired for a day or two. I don't know whether or not it will affect my performance, but I guess I'll find out if I'm unlucky enough to have a race day fall on one of those days.

Eden said:

you'll probably see Rony Martias riding for Bouygues at this year's Tour de France too.