oln's cycling on TV in 2004

Thanks for the link.

What does the forum think about a network dedicated to cycling? OLN does this part-time.

Racing is a priority. Add training, nutrition, equipment, touring, clubs, moutain biking, cyclo-cross etc.. Tons of content.

If a Golf Channel can make it, a cycling channel should be successful. A lot more people ride than golf.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by tourdelivermore
Thanks for the link.

What does the forum think about a network dedicated to cycling? OLN does this part-time.

Racing is a priority. Add training, nutrition, equipment, touring, clubs, moutain biking, cyclo-cross etc.. Tons of content.

If a Golf Channel can make it, a cycling channel should be successful. A lot more people ride than golf.

Thoughts?

I think if it were profitable someone would already be doing it. I'll bet Golfers spend a lot more money on equipment than cyclists do. And many cyclists don't really follow pro racing. Golf is also a lot cheaper to cover because you don't need motorcycle cameras etc. And finally golf is easy to understand (no tactics) so even someone who knows nothing of the game can tune in and watch.

It would be great to see more "real time" racing on OLN though, instead of the "race of the week" summary.

Originally posted by DiabloScott

It would be great to see more "real time" racing on OLN though, instead of the "race of the week" summary.

We are getting more and more "real time".
Much more than last year, I think.

Thanks for the link.

Thoughts?

Give it at least another 5 years or so & you will probably get your wish. I am not sure about the part on more cyclists than golfers at least not active ones. As more and more people watch they are starting to get hooked on it - but I don't think there is enough intrest yet for the networks to take the gamble.

Thanks for the link.

Thoughts?

I disagree about more cyclists than golfers. Certainly there are more PASSIONATE golfers than cyclists. Maybe a lot of people like to ride, but very few of us were out in the 40degree rain yesterday at my local spot.

The golf channel owes its success to Tiger. The chances of Lance being as important to the mainstreaming of cycling are slim, but possible.

This year's cycling coverage has been poor to say the least. The broadcasts are shortened and condensed. The announcers, Phil and Paul, are the best in the business but the coverage they are given to commentate on is terrible. The expense of cycling coverage would not be much of a problem to and American network because it just has to pay European networks rather than provide its own armada of press. I know the French coverage is extremely biased, but its better to get than the poor coverage on OLN. OLN's coverage of the Giro has been particularly poor, I'm guessing since I'm in school when it's aired and it's only an hour and a half of coverage. What happened to the hour of commercial free coverage that was present at the Grand Tours last year?

I am not complaining, anything is better than nothing. The coverage of the spring classics was kind of strange, with races being aired long after they took place. But other than that, OLN's commentators + RAI's coverage of the race is fine by me. honestly I have better things to do with my time and would prefer to just watch the highlights rather than three hours of spinning circles interspersed with a few moments of something actually happening. I was excited to hear them say that the Lance Chronicles is actually one of the most popular shows on OLN right now. Even my (non-cycling) roommates watch it now!

No whining peoples...the Canadian version of OLN isn't covering any cycling to speak of. We're getting the Lance Armstrong Chronicles to break up the bull riding and fly fishing but.....no whining or whinging from you guys who can actually get "la course de la semaine"...please. Have mercy on your less fortunate northern brethern.