OLNTV in Canada

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Phileault, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Phileault

    Phileault Guest

    Hi!

    I know this has been discussed a lot already, but I can't seem to find a solution to the
    "problem"...

    Many people in Canada would, like me, really like to enjoy OLNTV's (USA) cycling coverage, but can't
    seem to find how...

    I don't want to get illegal, I just want to see the events! Is there some way I could get
    DishNetwork or any other satellite feed legally here in Canada?

    Thnx ;-)

    Phileault

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Phileault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I know this has been discussed a lot already, but I can't seem to find a solution to the
    > "problem"...
    >
    > Many people in Canada would, like me, really like to enjoy OLNTV's (USA) cycling coverage, but
    > can't seem to find how...
    >
    > I don't want to get illegal, I just want to see the events! Is there some way I could get
    > DishNetwork or any other satellite feed legally here in Canada?
    >
    > Thnx ;-)
    >
    > Phileault

    If you're interested primarily in the classics, OLN is not, IMO, as good as it was. There seems to
    be less spring euro coverage than a year or two before. The coverage of the major tours has gotten
    so clogged with commercials that it's more worthwhile to buy the dvd unless you have the
    facility/time to edit the tape yourself.

    OLN comes with the basic Comcast package in my area, so it's not a choice I have to make as to
    keeping it. Consider the cost of dvd recording vs. the cost of sat installation and monthly fees.

  3. J999w

    J999w Guest

    If you've got some room in your backyard for a 7 ft satellite dish ... you can get OLN USA for
    *FREE*. It's unencrypted and free to view. Old dishes + receivers ( C band analog) can often be had
    for free or certainly less than a $100.

    I was tempted to dump Direct TV when I found this out, but I can't see the satellite that carries
    Speed (behind a neighbors house). I get a perfect picture on OLN.

    :^]

    Now, if I could find a way to get CBC for their excellent winter Olympic coverage, I'd be set !

    jw milwaukee

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Phileault) wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I know this has been discussed a lot already, but I can't seem to find a solution to the
    > "problem"...
    >
    > Many people in Canada would, like me, really like to enjoy OLNTV's (USA) cycling coverage, but
    > can't seem to find how...
    >
    > I don't want to get illegal, I just want to see the events! Is there some way I could get
    > DishNetwork or any other satellite feed legally here in Canada?
    >
    > Thnx ;-)
    >
    > Phileault

    You have to get an american address.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (J999w) wrote:

    > If you've got some room in your backyard for a 7 ft satellite dish ... you can get OLN USA for
    > *FREE*. It's unencrypted and free to view. Old dishes + receivers ( C band analog) can often be
    > had for free or certainly less than a $100.
    >
    > I was tempted to dump Direct TV when I found this out, but I can't see the satellite that carries
    > Speed (behind a neighbors house). I get a perfect picture on OLN.
    >
    > :^]
    >
    > Now, if I could find a way to get CBC for their excellent winter Olympic coverage, I'd be set !

    The traditional way is to do a gray-market subscription to a Canadian DTH service (ExpressVu or
    Starchoice). There are a variety of companies that specialize in setting up this stuff. Any of the
    basic subscriptions (starting around C$20) would include all the major CBC feeds across Canada.

  6. [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:

    > You have to get an american address.

    Why watch wimpey cycling on OLN-US when the superior Kanuk OLN version shows overweight slobs (oops
    'athletes) pulling 18 wheelers, or runs back-to-back BowFlex advertizements (omitting to warn
    potential suckers that the aparatus is under recall because it has caused a plethora of injuries to
    its users)

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  7. Dude,

    Get the OLN US. I don't think anyone is going to come knocking on your door because you're
    "stealing" a US feed. Regardless of the monopolistic cable providers' ads; don't feel guilty. OLN US
    is about ten times better than lame-ass OLN Canada. They have Paris-Nice (worth the price itself),
    classics on delay, Giro, Vuelta...way better than anything except European coverage or the rare
    occasion Scott Russell and the CBC get behind a cycling event.

    James Spooner

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com. ..
    > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:
    >
    > > You have to get an american address.
    >
    > Why watch wimpey cycling on OLN-US when the superior Kanuk OLN version
    shows overweight slobs (oops 'athletes) pulling 18 wheelers, or runs back-to-back BowFlex
    advertizements (omitting to warn potential suckers that the aparatus is under recall because it has
    caused a plethora of injuries to its users)

    > --
    > le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  8. In article
    <[email protected]rs.com>,
    Davey Crockett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:
    >
    > > You have to get an american address.
    >
    > Why watch wimpey cycling on OLN-US when the superior Kanuk OLN version
    shows overweight slobs (oops 'athletes) pulling 18 wheelers, or runs back-to-back BowFlex
    advertizements (omitting to warn potential suckers that the aparatus is under recall because it has
    caused a plethora of injuries to its users)

    I know, lucky us- and don't forget the dog shows and travel progams. Mind you, right now they're
    showing the Westminster Dog show, so I don't mind that since I love dogs! However, we don't get
    great stuff like American Shooter!

  9. [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:

    > I know, lucky us- and don't forget the dog shows and travel progams. Mind you, right now they're
    > showing the Westminster Dog show, so I don't mind that since I love dogs! However, we don't get
    > great stuff like American Shooter!

    Yes, they have a great array of uninteresting stuff on the OLCC channel.

    But I shall be in better shape next year. I'm going back to France the end of this year and shall be
    sitting in ''Le Bar Blue Lady'' in Antibes watching the action on the large screen TV and drinking
    Kronenbourg!!!

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  10. Is OLN-Canada required by the CRTC to show such lousy programming? Do CanCon regulations require
    them to show Canadian produced musclehead competitions and dog shows, instead of US produced
    cycling shows?

    I get the feeling that OLN-Canada is the neglected child of the Bell-Globemedia family (I think that
    is OLN's parent company). Bell-Globemedia seems to give all their attention to CTV, TSN, the Comedy
    Network, etc. and ignore OLN.

    J. Spaceman

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Is OLN-Canada required by the CRTC to show such lousy programming? Do CanCon regulations require
    > them to show Canadian produced musclehead competitions and dog shows, instead of US produced
    > cycling shows?
    >
    > I get the feeling that OLN-Canada is the neglected child of the Bell-Globemedia family (I think
    > that is OLN's parent company). Bell-Globemedia seems to give all their attention to CTV, TSN, the
    > Comedy Network, etc. and ignore OLN.
    >

    > J. Spaceman

    As far as I know they aren't obliged to show "sports" according to their license. They're just
    trying to make money. Once spoke to someone there and he said they were 'looking into getting
    other properties'. Yeah, when pigs fly. They don't seem to care what viewers want and continue to
    show crap no matter how many letters they get. Mind you I am enjoying the Westminster dog show.
    The CRTC wants Canadian broodcasters to have 'integrity' which means we get pathetic shit no one
    watches. Screw that, give me american sports networks any day and they can have the endless Cirque
    de Soleil specials.

    Another option is to make friends with someone in the US and get them to send you tapes. I could
    care less if it's piracy- nothing gets between me and my races!

  12. [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Is OLN-Canada required by the CRTC to show such lousy programming? Do CanCon regulations require
    >> them to show Canadian produced musclehead competitions and dog shows, instead of US produced
    >> cycling shows?

    Unfortunately according to the CRTC they do.

    In Kanada the CTRC [Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission/Conseil de la
    Radiodiffusion et des Telecommunications Canadiennes] which attempts to save Kanada's ''heritage''
    by regulating, via quantification, the amount of kanadian junk they have to pitch at the long
    suffering Hyphenated-Canadian viewers.

    Fortunately, as the astute reader of the following will observe, there is ample leeway for
    ''loopholes'' and matters requiring resolution or an opinion by CRTC board members for which they,
    presumably, can grab a little graft or the odd kickback.

    Maybe we should sick Stikeman-Elliott's self proclaimed Chemical Caretaker, Dick (both by Name and
    Nature) Pound onto the CRTC to do a clean up job there, since he's had many years experience with
    the IOC, which recently gave him the cold shoulder, trusting, possibly, neither his methods or his
    motives. At least he\d be out of Verbruggens hair for a while!

    Quoting CRTC:

    Television What is a Canadian program?

    The CRTC will certify programs as Canadian if they meet the following criteria:

    * the producer is Canadian;
    * key creative personnel are Canadian;
    * 75% of service costs and post-production lab costs are paid to Canadians.

    Read the Canadian Program Certification factsheet for details. Air time for Canadian programs

    Private television stations and networks (e.g. CTV, Global,TVA) and ethnic TV stations must achieve
    a yearly Canadian content level of:

    * 60% overall, measured during the day \x{2013} i.e. 6AM and midnight;
    * 50%, measured during the evening broadcast period \x{2013} i.e. between 6PM and midnight.

    CBC must ensure that at least 60% of its overall schedule, measured during the day \x{2013} i.e. 6AM
    to midnight, is Canadian.

    Requirements for pay-tv, specialty and pay-per-view services vary and are set by conditions of
    licence. Check decisions for individual services for details (Search).

    Broadcasters can claim a 125% to 150% time credit for Canadian dramas when they're aired during peak
    viewing hours (7PM to 11PM).

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  13. Phileault

    Phileault Guest

    That's what I wanted to know... it seems there is no way to get OLN US legally here in Canada
    because those stupid guys at the CRTC keep protecting canadian content, so what they're telling us
    is : if you want to see all the great cycling events, be a pirate!

    Great attitude...

    For one time in my life, I was ready not to get illegal (software, music, cable, etc.), but hey, I
    have no choice they tell me!!

    Is there a canadian cyclist out there that has a setup that allows him (or her!) to get OLN US? If
    so, is there a way he / she can tell me more about that setup? I heard all sort of things here like
    "Get an american address" and "contact a grey-market"... all right, but concretely, how do I do it?
    I'm in Montreal...

    Thnx ;-)

    Phileault

    "James P. Spooner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dude,
    >
    > Get the OLN US. I don't think anyone is going to come knocking on your door because you're
    > "stealing" a US feed. Regardless of the monopolistic cable providers' ads; don't feel guilty. OLN
    > US is about ten times better than lame-ass OLN Canada. They have Paris-Nice (worth the price
    > itself), classics on delay, Giro, Vuelta...way better than anything except European coverage or
    > the rare occasion Scott Russell and the CBC get behind a cycling event.
    >
    > James Spooner
    >

    > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com. ..
    > > [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) writes:
    > >
    > > > You have to get an american address.
    > >
    > > Why watch wimpey cycling on OLN-US when the superior Kanuk OLN version
    > shows overweight slobs (oops 'athletes) pulling 18 wheelers, or runs back-to-back BowFlex
    > advertizements (omitting to warn potential suckers that the aparatus is under recall because it
    > has caused a plethora of injuries to its users)
    > >

    > > --
    > > le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  14. well, yeah,... I'm one of 'em. Try looking in the classified ads. They did clamp down on grey market
    providers here, but I knew a guy etc. I'm sure there's some guys in Montreal. I'd ask some of your
    buddies first though. Hey, if the CBC or TSN or RDS had the coverage, I'd unload the dish in a
    minute. You can get all the hockey games too however, good for watching while on your windtrainer.

    James

    "Phileault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That's what I wanted to know... it seems there is no way to get OLN US legally here in Canada
    > because those stupid guys at the CRTC keep protecting canadian content, so what they're telling us
    > is : if you want to see all the great cycling events, be a pirate!
    >
    > Great attitude...
    >
    > For one time in my life, I was ready not to get illegal (software, music, cable, etc.), but hey, I
    > have no choice they tell me!!
    >
    > Is there a canadian cyclist out there that has a setup that allows him (or her!) to get OLN US? If
    > so, is there a way he / she can tell me more about that setup? I heard all sort of things here
    > like "Get an american address" and "contact a grey-market"... all right, but concretely, how do I
    > do it? I'm in Montreal...
    >
    > Thnx ;-)
    >
    > Phileault
    >

    > "James P. Spooner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Dude,
    > >
    > > Get the OLN US. I don't think anyone is going to come knocking on your
    door
    > > because you're "stealing" a US feed. Regardless of the monopolistic
    cable
    > > providers' ads; don't feel guilty. OLN US is about ten times better
    than
    > > lame-ass OLN Canada. They have Paris-Nice (worth the price itself), classics on delay, Giro,
    > > Vuelta...way better than anything except
    European
    > > coverage or the rare occasion Scott Russell and the CBC get behind a
    cycling
    > > event.
    > >
    > > James Spooner

    news:[email protected]rs.com.