Olympic Road Race

classic1 said:
Who will win? We need a start list.
Kim Kirchen, supported by Andy and Frank Schleck. The 3 will stay with the bunch until, say 4 rounds to go. Then Frank will set an attack in the steepest part, and go off. Italians and Spaniards will chase, once caught Andy will go for it strong. Much more difficult to catch up on him ( he came second in a reace in Holland 3 days ago, won in another criterium in Holland 2 days ago, and won the Gala Tour de France in Luxcembourg last night ). Either he makes it, or, as I suppose Spaniards will catch up on him. There will be only 8 riders left probably, and Kim will win it in the sprint.
(well, that's what I dreamt last night, :D )

adamastor said:
Kim Kirchen, supported by Andy and Frank Schleck. The 3 will stay with the bunch until, say 4 rounds to go. Then Frank will set an attack in the steepest part, and go off. Italians and Spaniards will chase, once caught Andy will go for it strong. Much more difficult to catch up on him ( he came second in a reace in Holland 3 days ago, won in another criterium in Holland 2 days ago, and won the Gala Tour de France in Luxcembourg last night ). Either he makes it, or, as I suppose Spaniards will catch up on him. There will be only 8 riders left probably, and Kim will win it in the sprint.
Fantasist. Kirchen and the Schlecks hate one anothers guts. I reckon you've got a better chance of creating world harmony between dogs and cats.

An Italian will win IMO

classic1 said:
Fantasist. Kirchen and the Schlecks hate one anothers guts. I reckon you've got a better chance of creating world harmony between dogs and cats.

An Italian will win IMO
OMG... Kirchen could do it!!!...
biggrin.gif

Dog-and-cat-together-Photographic-Print-C12515394.jpeg

If Kirchen can rediscover his May - Middle July form he ***** this in.

Grater said:
If Kirchen can rediscover his May - Middle July form he ***** this in.

BWHAHAHA...how many starters do Luxumburg have?...3?....be hard pressed to compete with those with a full team...Bettini or O'grady

Hitchy said:
BWHAHAHA...how many starters do Luxumburg have?...3?....be hard pressed to compete with those with a full team...Bettini or O'grady
have you seen the course? much to many hills for o'grady, probly to many for bettini to. im thinking either contador or andy schleck, looking at the profile the finish is uphill to. i dont think valverde kirchen cunego etc will have come through le tour well enough to be much of a factor. how ever samuel sanchez seemed to improve through the tour, and maybe d'luca as an out side bet.

classic1 said:
Fantasist. Kirchen and the Schlecks hate one anothers guts...

An Italian will win IMO
True, but they're only 3, and they'll need to work together. That's why their plan will probably be the way I described. They know Andy is the strongest, but neither Schleck brother stands a chance in a sprint. So they'll try everything to stay in top 40 of the bunch at all times, not doing single work in the front. If there is an early break that succeeds, tough luck, but if at 4 or 5 rounds, there is some hope, they'll go for it, Frank first, then Andy if Frank caught. Finally Kirchen will do everything to follow chasers, and be ready for sprint. but I'm repeating myself :D.

Anyway, if they do it the way I describe, I can still show off by reminding you of what I wrote, if they don't, I'll forget to mention this:cool:.

Ummmm...to whoever was using the criteriums as evidence of andy schlecks strength...those are rigged for the enjoyment of spectacle and have nothing to do with any riders ability. That is why sastre can beat steegmans one up...

Could you please refresh my memory: when is the event in real time, and when (if at all) will it be on TV (US, EDT)?

Hitchy said:
how many are allowed per country? Isn't it 5? I prefer the 3 Luxembourgers to 5 Italians? Who will they be? Will they all ride for Bettini??? Will Australians reall ride for O'Grady???

I accept your opinion on Italians, Aussies or even Belgians and Spaniards. I'm just having a problem with your BWHAHAHA...Luxembourgers weren't that bad lately...

adamastor said:
You do realize that the post TdF crits are rigged?

edit: Tommy beat me to it, but I will leave my comment just for emphasis.

2004 Olympic results in here...

http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Cycling-at-the-2004-Summer-Olympics.html

O'Grady... (he must be itching to be allowed to race to win and not support..looked to be getting in some last minute training pulling the peleton in the last stages of the TDF).
Zabel.... (he was pulling himself over those mountains in the TDF in amazing style and should be able to hold on for this...if there is a sprint finish at the end he will be there...)

Of course I'd like Japan to improve on their 57th place last time....Yasutaka Tashiro here with me drafting behind him... ---> :eek:http://www.mcentyre.com/4d17.jpg He was the pace setter for this race... (I came 5th).

Teams with 5 riders should have an advantage over others and there are not that many fielding 5.
Algeria 1
Argentina 3
Australia 5
Austria 2
Belgium 5
White Russia 3
Brazil 2
Bulgaria 2
Canada 3
Chile 2
China 1
Columbia 3
Costa Rica 1
Croatia 3
Cuba 1
Czech 2
Denmark 3
Salvador 1
Spain 5
Estonia 2
France 5
United Kingdom 4
Germany 5
Chinese Hong Kong 1
Hungary 2
Iran 3
Ireland 2
Italy 5
Japan 2
Kazakhstan 2
Korea 1
Latvia 2
Libya 1
Lithuania 2
Luxembourg 3
Moldova 1
Mexico 1
Namibia 1
Holland 5
Norway 4
New Zealand 3
Poland 3
Portugal 3
South Africa 3
Russia 5
Serbia 2
Slovenia 4
Switzerland 2
Slovakia 3
Sweden 3
Tunisia 1
Ukraine 4
United States 5
Uzbekistan 1
Venezuela 1
Places by event 145
Maximum Quota 145

JAPANic said:
2004 Olympic results in here...

http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Cycling-at-the-2004-Summer-Olympics.html

O'Grady... (he must be itching to be allowed to race to win and not support..looked to be getting in some last minute training pulling the peleton in the last stages of the TDF).
Zabel.... (he was pulling himself over those mountains in the TDF in amazing style and should be able to hold on for this...if there is a sprint finish at the end he will be there...)

Of course I'd like Japan to improve on their 57th place last time....Yasutaka Tashiro here with me drafting behind him... ---> :eek:http://www.mcentyre.com/4d17.jpg He was the pace setter for this race... (I came 5th).

Teams with 5 riders should have an advantage over others and there are not that many fielding 5.

White Russia 3
WTF country is "White Russia"??..
confused.gif

Crankyfeet said:
WTF country is "White Russia"??..
confused.gif

Belarus or an alcoholic cocktail....White Russian recipe
2 oz vodka
1 oz coffee liqueur
light cream

JAPANic said:
Belarus or an alcoholic cocktail....
Of course.
rolleyes.gif

And thanks for changing "Great Britain" to "United Kingdom"... and "Netherlands" to "Holland"... and "Hong Kong SAR" to "Chinese Hong Kong". I never would have guessed them without your help...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Crankyfeet said:
Of course.
rolleyes.gif

And thanks for changing "Great Britain" to "United Kingdom"... and "Netherlands" to "Holland"... and "Hong Kong SAR" to "Chinese Hong Kong". I never would have guessed them without your help...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't type em, I just copy & paste em...

Not a Valv fan by any means but with a strong Spanish team and his affinity for and the ability to peak for big one day races, me thinks Valv will be wearing gold or at least podium.

adamastor said:
how many are allowed per country? Isn't it 5? I prefer the 3 Luxembourgers to 5 Italians? Who will they be? Will they all ride for Bettini??? Will Australians reall ride for O'Grady???

I accept your opinion on Italians, Aussies or even Belgians and Spaniards. I'm just having a problem with your BWHAHAHA...Luxembourgers weren't that bad lately...

Nah, luxumburgers are going OK, which would be the reason that they won't be allowed to get away...plus being only 3 against teams of 5 will make it very tough. The Aussies will work for whoever the nominated leader is, probably cadel or O'grady