Olympic Women's Road Race picks

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > 3. Oenone Wood
    >
    > Cheers, Andy
    > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I hope
    she doesn't medal.

    1. Melchers
    2. Cookie
    3. Van Moo

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > > 3. Oenone Wood
    > >
    > > Cheers, Andy
    > > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I

    hope
    > she doesn't medal.
    >
    > 1. Melchers
    > 2. Cookie
    > 3. Van Moo

    You're probably right but I'll go with my Webcor clubmate, Christine
    Thorburn, and also because most of our coach's riders are going well this
    summer.

    -Warren

  4. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <[email protected]yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > > 3. Oenone Wood
    > >
    > > Cheers, Andy
    > > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I hope
    > she doesn't medal.
    >
    > 1. Melchers
    > 2. Cookie
    > 3. Van Moo

    1. Katie Mactier
    2. Nicole Cooke
    3. Oenone (Wa-Neen?)

    -Ken

  5. "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > > 3. Oenone Wood
    > >
    > > Cheers, Andy
    > > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I hope
    > she doesn't medal.
    >
    > 1. Melchers
    > 2. Cookie
    > 3. Van Moo

    Come on Bruce, to thine own self be true - you don't like Suzanne
    cause she's ugly (even for a cyclist).

    Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    strategy.

    -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

  6. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Ronaldo Jeremiah wrote:

    > Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    > for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    > There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    > strategy.
    >
    > -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

    one of my favorite posts on the subject
    http://www.google.com/groups?&[email protected]

    but it's not smart ass, so probably not suitable for this group.

    heather

  7. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > > > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > > > 3. Oenone Wood
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Andy
    > > > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    > > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I

    hope
    > > she doesn't medal.
    > >
    > > 1. Melchers
    > > 2. Cookie
    > > 3. Van Moo

    > Come on Bruce, to thine own self be true - you don't like Suzanne
    > cause she's ugly (even for a cyclist).
    >
    > Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    > for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    > There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    > strategy.
    >
    > -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

    She looks like an Ostrich with that long neck sticking out. A friend of mine
    still want to know if Skaggy is a genetic experiment gone bad. He only saw
    her once on the video but he picked up on it right away. Thing is if
    Lung-Skag pulls that crap on Melchers one more time, she will probably get a
    backfist right in the kisser. I undestand Melchers is has had it up to here
    with Lung-Skag. Neck high. I'd love to catch that on tape. Sets your VCR's
    or DVD recorders early on the west coast. 4am on USA channel I think.

  8. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ronaldo Jeremiah wrote:
    > >

    > > Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    > > for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    > > There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    > > strategy.
    > >
    > > -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

    > one of my favorite posts on the subject

    http://www.google.com/groups?&[email protected]

    > but it's not smart ass, so probably not suitable for this group.
    >
    > heather

    Which brings STP to mind. Never mind, I'm not going to ask.

  9. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    Interesting choice given that Katie is a track rider (3000m pursuit).

    1. Oenone Wood
    2. Susanne Ljungskog
    3. Nicole Cooke

  10. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3f4[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:

    > "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > 1. Nicole Cooke
    > > > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > > > 3. Oenone Wood
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Andy
    > > > www.stirling-tri.co.uk

    > > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I hope
    > > she doesn't medal.
    > >
    > > 1. Melchers
    > > 2. Cookie
    > > 3. Van Moo

    > Come on Bruce, to thine own self be true - you don't like Suzanne
    > cause she's ugly (even for a cyclist).
    >
    > Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    > for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    > There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    > strategy.
    >
    > -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

    I figure what Susanne Ljungskog is being accused of by Bruce is called
    "having good tactical sense." That, and having the strength to take
    advantage of what it gets her, which seems to be consistently good position
    at the end of a race. Strong is good, smart is good, strong and smart is
    even better.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    So far, so good, so what?

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  11. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > K. J. Papai Wrote:
    > >
    > > 1. Katie Mactier
    > > 2. Nicole Cooke
    > > 3. Oenone (Wa-Neen?)
    > >

    > Interesting choice given that Katie is a track rider (3000m pursuit).

    I assumed she was on the CAN road team as she's pretty good there.
    She looked great last year in San Francisco.

    -Ken

    > 1. Oenone Wood
    > 2. Susanne Ljungskog
    > 3. Nicole Cooke

  12. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:
    >
    > > "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > > > I like to just pick Moo cow and Milkers but I'll throw cookie in too.
    > > > Milkers is better sprinter then Cookie. Lung-Skag is a wheel sucker, I

    hope
    > > > she doesn't medal.
    > > >
    > > > 1. Melchers
    > > > 2. Cookie
    > > > 3. Van Moo

    > > Come on Bruce, to thine own self be true - you don't like Suzanne
    > > cause she's ugly (even for a cyclist).
    > >
    > > Which leads me to my second point - why do some cyclists have disdain
    > > for 'wheelsuckers'? If you can't drop them, they deserve to win.
    > > There is always marathon running for those folks who can't handle
    > > strategy.
    > >
    > > -RJ, wheelsucker deluxe

    > I figure what Susanne Ljungskog is being accused of by Bruce is called
    > "having good tactical sense." That, and having the strength to take
    > advantage of what it gets her, which seems to be consistently good

    position
    > at the end of a race. Strong is good, smart is good, strong and smart is
    > even better.

    Actually Farm Frites team accused Sus of trying to take Mirjam out at the
    worlds when she crashed. They either wanted or attempted to file a protest.
    They certainly complained about it. Last year world brough more of the same
    comlpaints from Mirjam and crew and again it seems that Sus darted into
    Mirjams line nearly making contact causing Mirjam to adjust again and lose
    momentum. Based on her frustration, I assume that if it happens again maybe
    Mirjam might come unglued. Sus is a wheelsucker deluxe if you watch the
    previous worlds. Mirjam did all the work at the end. Cooke did the work
    previously to pull back Longo. If she's such a stud to race with the men
    like in the (SO) then why can't she do some pulling. She is after all world
    champion.

  13. "Sierraman" <[email protected]> writes:

    > > I figure what Susanne Ljungskog is being accused of by Bruce is called
    > > "having good tactical sense." That, and having the strength to take
    > > advantage of what it gets her, which seems to be consistently good

    > position
    > > at the end of a race. Strong is good, smart is good, strong and smart is
    > > even better.

    > Actually Farm Frites team accused Sus of trying to take Mirjam out at the
    > worlds when she crashed. They either wanted or attempted to file a protest.
    > They certainly complained about it. Last year world brough more of the same
    > comlpaints from Mirjam and crew and again it seems that Sus darted into
    > Mirjams line nearly making contact causing Mirjam to adjust again and lose
    > momentum. Based on her frustration, I assume that if it happens again maybe
    > Mirjam might come unglued. Sus is a wheelsucker deluxe if you watch the
    > previous worlds. Mirjam did all the work at the end. Cooke did the work
    > previously to pull back Longo. If she's such a stud to race with the men
    > like in the (SO) then why can't she do some pulling. She is after all world
    > champion.

    Well there do seem to be a coupla unwritten rulez that come into play here:

    (1) They pay the winner on the Ligne Droit

    (2) If you Didn't Work, Don't Sprint

    :)

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  14. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Sierraman wrote:

    > Which brings STP to mind. Never mind, I'm not going to ask.

    no stp this year. if you're gonna do 8 hour training sessions, your
    heart has to be really into it, and now that i own a house and have a
    teenager, i just don't have the urge to work that hard.

    back to racing- i was always a wheel sucker, mainly because i felt
    really self conscious on the front, and mainly because others were
    stronger so it was all i could do to hold on.

    i mostly did local races, so everyone knew my style, but once i went to
    a big out of state race, and about 5 hours into it, this guy asked me,
    "so is it some kind of goal of yours to sit on the back for the entire 6 hours??"

    so i told him, yeah, that's how i raced, but not to worry, i couldn't
    sprint, so i didn't try to beat people on the line.

    to which my friend (same er doctor as i mentioned in other post) added,
    "yeah, instead she just waits for you to blow up and then leaves you in
    the dust." lol.

  15. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:6100cab2.0408120[email protected]
    > patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > K. J. Papai Wrote:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Katie Mactier
    > > > 2. Nicole Cooke
    > > > 3. Oenone (Wa-Neen?)
    > > >

    > > Interesting choice given that Katie is a track rider (3000m pursuit).

    > I assumed she was on the CAN road team as she's pretty good there.

    You must be thinking of somebody else - Mactier is from Australia.

    Andy Coggan

  16. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:54:12 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Well there do seem to be a coupla unwritten rulez that come into play here:
    >
    >(1) They pay the winner on the Ligne Droit
    >
    >(2) If you Didn't Work, Don't Sprint

    Are you talking about bike racing? The objective is to place as
    highly as possible. If that involves not working and then sprinting,
    that's the right way to do it.

    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  17. On 08/12/2004 09:04 AM, in article
    [email protected], "K. J. Papai"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> K. J. Papai Wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Katie Mactier
    >>> 2. Nicole Cooke
    >>> 3. Oenone (Wa-Neen?)
    >>>

    >> Interesting choice given that Katie is a track rider (3000m pursuit).

    > I assumed she was on the CAN road team as she's pretty good there.
    > She looked great last year in San Francisco.

    Even more interesting that you'd think she's on the Canadian road team, when
    she's Australian.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  18. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: "Steven L. Sheffield" [email protected]

    >Even more interesting that you'd think she's on the Canadian road team, when
    >she's Australian.

    Hey Jeanson, has a US license as so nicely pointed out by DeCanio. Not that
    it's any reflection on Mactier but a lot of people seem to end up wherever they
    can get a slot.
    Bill C

  19. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    I'm going candyass and picking a Canadian female for a medal in the RR. I'm
    thinking Lyne for bronze, but I wouldn't bet against palmer-Komar either.
    Bill C

  20. MMan37x

    MMan37x Guest

    1. Melchers