Olympics: Biggest scam in sports??

Crankyfeet said:
I wish they'd do the same thing with their swimmers. They're butt ugly.
Yea, but that syncro diver of theirs makes up for a lot...
el041104038.jpg

missile said:
And if they'll cheat on something as small as this, well...
...parading around 10 year old girls as 16 year olds is childs play considering what they are doing in terms of performance "enhancement"

thoughtforfood said:
...parading around 10 year old girls as 16 year olds is childs play considering what they are doing in terms of performance "enhancement"
I'm honestly curious, what specifically?

drm said:
I'm honestly curious, what specifically?
I think he's referring to the double entendre on "performance enhancement"... as in (1) doping... and (2) the using of another substitute girl's voice (or face... whichever way you want to look at it)... which was the story to which he originally linked.

Crankyfeet said:
I think he's referring to the double entendre on "performance enhancement"... as in (1) doping... and (2) the using of another substitute girl's voice (or face... whichever way you want to look at it)... which was the story to which he originally linked.
Ahh, didn't put two and two together. Thanks.

thoughtforfood said:

right this is much worse than kid's pageants coughJon Benet Ramsaycough

thoughtforfood said:
shes18.jpg

The early Olympics sound a lot more exciting. They had:

Underwater swimming (1900): Swimmers were awarded points for how far they went and how long they stayed under water.

Swimming obstacle race (1900): Racers had to swim through the River Seine, climb up and down a pole, then go over and under several boats.

Live pigeon shooting (1900): The birds were released and shooters tried to kill as many as possible.

Equestrian high jump (1900): Riders see who can jump the highest on horseback.

Equestrian long jump (1900): Long jumping on horseback.

Tug-of-war (1900-1920): Two teams of eight try to pull a rope six feet; if neither team reaches the mark after five minutes, the team that pulls the farthest wins.

Plunge diving (1904): From a standing position, divers see how far they can go without taking a stroke.

Duelling pistol (1906): Shooters fired at mannequins wearing frock coats and bull's-eyes on their chests.

I bet those equestrian events were pretty tough on the horses. I imagine they often had to consult the Far Side's Big Book of Horse Medicine.

Bro Deal said:
Fake fireworks. Fake singing. Fake spectators. This whole Olympics has been a fraud.
I bet the gold medals aren't even real gold.

[actually... it is probably the one thing that isn't fake. China loves its gold]

Did anyone see the womens weightlifting in Beijing yesterday?

Not that I am a weightligting fan .............but there was a Chinese women who won the gold medal yesterday 69kg category.
Liu Chunhong not only won the womens gold medal, she came back out after winning the medal added 9kgs to the bars and broke the world record "just to say thank you to all her Chinese supporters" don't you know!

http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/weightlifting/n214537487.shtml

limerickman said:
Did anyone see the womens weightlifting in Beijing yesterday?

Not that I am a weightligting fan .............but there was a Chinese women who won the gold medal yesterday 69kg category.
Liu Chunhong not only won the womens gold medal, she came back out after winning the medal added 9kgs to the bars and broke the world record "just to say thank you to all her Chinese supporters" don't you know!

http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/weightlifting/n214537487.shtml
From the article:

"China has now won a gold medal in every Weightlifting weight class they have competed in at the Beijing Games."

And we descend ever deeper into farce.

I am starting to wonder what long lasting damage this Olympics will do. There have been so many WTF moments that there has to be a serious loss of credibility.

Bro Deal said:
From the article:

"China has now won a gold medal in every Weightlifting weight class they have competed in at the Beijing Games."

I am starting to wonder what long lasting damage this Olympics will do. There have been so many WTF moments that there has to be a serious loss of credibility.
Well, weightlifting is one sport that can match or exceed the association with dope (in comparison to cycling). So, hardly surprising! In fact, there was an interesting news article today WADA's Fahey said that weightlifting and cycling risked being excluded from the Olympic program: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/08/14/weightlifting.doping.ap/index.html I love the comment of the weightlifting federation's president on how choosing sports of the Olympic program is "outside the scope of his (Fahey's) competence". :D

Bro Deal said:
From the article:

...and you don't mention Michael Phelps?? Olympic and World Records left and right...give me a break...:rolleyes: