Olympics Spoiler!!!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    In what race, hippy?!? The wheelie thing, put it down to either the Robbie Influence or the Aussie Childhood Riding Culture. :D

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Bayley does this all the time

    i witnessed him doing this in his race against the french guy or was it Bos during the world champs and its rather easy to do on a fixed if you 'burst' momentarily,
    (as i found out up a hill the other day LOL!)

    Have seen a few mentions of his KFC and coke diet (apparently all the athletes have been given vouchers for unlimited coke till they realised how much was being drunk. They put a cieling of 50 per person per day, which apparently Bailey replied to "Yep. that outta do me!" )

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
    > Bayley does this all the time

    Yeah, as does McEwan it seems..

    > i witnessed him doing this in his race against the french guy or was it
    > Bos during the world champs and its rather easy to do on a fixed if you
    > 'burst' momentarily, (as i found out up a hill the other day LOL!)

    Garne I think. Bos was too close at the Worlds.
    Hmm.. I've not tried, but I don't know about being easy..
    Hit 60+ and then lean back and pop the front up on the
    flat? Like I said, I've not tried, but I'm not sure it's easy.
    Hills already putting your weight back.. maybe that helps?

    > Have seen a few mentions of his KFC and coke diet (apparently all the
    > athletes have been given vouchers for unlimited coke till they realised
    > how much was being drunk. They put a cieling of 50 per person per day,
    > which apparently Bailey replied to "Yep. that outta do me!" )

    Urgh.. yuck.. I'm on unleaded (pepsi max) and even
    then 2 cans a day can make me feel dodgy. Wonder
    what's in the KFC that makes him fast? :)

    hippy

  5. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    been wondering about that since KFC doesn't sell coke.

  6. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004

    Isn't KFC owned by PepsiCo????

  7. Stuart Park

    Stuart Park Guest

    This newsgroup has been a bit quiet about the Olympics over the last
    couple of weeks.. which is surprising considering how brilliant the
    Australian cycling team is doing in Athens!! (or is everyone too busy
    watching the events to write messages?)

    Some of those events were amazing to watch - especially the team
    pursuit, who looked like their wheels were glued together! :)
    (it must take a lot of skill to ride so close to each other..)

    I've been talking to a couple of people, trying to work out how much
    each of those bicycles would be worth - any ideas?

    Stuart Park
    Melbourne, Australia

    > -- SPOILER WARNING --
    >

    > Well, Bayley got his revenge for the Melbourne Worlds...
    > http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/articles/2004/08/25/1093246544605.html
    >
    > Woo Woo Woo!
    >
    > hippy's gonna have to beat him though, at the
    > next Olympics.. ;-)
    >
    > hippy
    > P.S. What is it with Aussies and wheelies over the line? :)

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Stuart Park" <[email protected]
    > This newsgroup has been a bit quiet about the Olympics over the last
    > couple of weeks.. which is surprising considering how brilliant the
    > Australian cycling team is doing in Athens!! (or is everyone too busy
    > watching the events to write messages?)

    I've actually managed to miss ALL of it thanks to
    other stuff being on..

    > Some of those events were amazing to watch - especially the team
    > pursuit, who looked like their wheels were glued together! :)
    > (it must take a lot of skill to ride so close to each other..)

    Yes. :)

    > I've been talking to a couple of people, trying to work out how much
    > each of those bicycles would be worth - any ideas?

    ~$7k for one of the BT pursuit frames I think, plus
    $5k for the Campagnolo Gihbli(sp?) wheelset plus
    another couple of k for the driveline, bars, pedals,
    post and saddle. Cheap eh? ;-)

    hippy

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Stuart Park" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been talking to a couple of people, trying to work out how much
    > each of those bicycles would be worth - any ideas?

    You can probably hunt around the companies' Web sites -- bikes used in
    the Olympics have to also be on public sale.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Stuart Park" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been talking to a couple of people, trying to work out how much
    > > each of those bicycles would be worth - any ideas?

    > You can probably hunt around the companies' Web sites -- bikes used in
    > the Olympics have to also be on public sale.

    "The frames are directly available in Australia from BT in Melbourne
    (61 3 9459 3525) and in the USA, try www.usauzziesales.com. The
    price? In the USA, the official distributor lists the frame and fork at
    US$4395."
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2004/features/BT_road

    hippy

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    So if your bike's called 'vegemite', what would you call a fixie built up outta one of dem?

    'Plastic-fantastic'
    'curly-surly'
    'i-cum-from-de-landownunder'

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
    > hippy Wrote:
    > > "The frames are directly available in Australia from BT in Melbourne
    > > (61 3 9459 3525) and in the USA, try www.usauzziesales.com. The
    > > price? In the USA, the official distributor lists the frame and fork
    > > at US$4395."
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2004/features/BT_road

    > So if your bike's called 'vegemite', what would you call a fixie built
    > up outta one of dem?
    >
    > 'Plastic-fantastic'
    > 'curly-surly'
    > 'i-cum-from-de-landownunder'

    IBBW - I Better Bloody Win!
    Emptied The Bank
    Stiff One
    BT - Bloody Tops!
    I'm Broke
    If Only I Had Legs To Match
    Hope I Don't Crash
    Aussie Bike Aussie Boy
    Holy Crap That Guy's Riding a BT Around Town!! ;-)
    I Live On KFC Too

    What about Vitamin Injection? :p

    Hmm.. my brain ain't pushing on all pedal strokes
    today.. I've got nothing better.

    hippy

  13. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:27:19 +1000
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > hippy Wrote:
    >>
    >> "The frames are directly available in Australia from BT in Melbourne
    >> (61 3 9459 3525) and in the USA, try www.usauzziesales.com. The
    >> price? In the USA, the official distributor lists the frame and fork
    >> at
    >> US$4395."
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2004/features/BT_road
    >>
    >> hippy

    > So if your bike's called 'vegemite', what would you call a fixie built
    > up outta one of dem?

    "conspicuous consumption"

    Zebee

  14. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "hippy" wrote in message ...

    > Urgh.. yuck.. I'm on unleaded (pepsi max) and even
    > then 2 cans a day can make me feel dodgy. Wonder
    > what's in the KFC that makes him fast? :)
    >
    > hippy

    Chicken Growth Hormones ?? :)

    Parbs

  15. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    What's with that rear wheel flick Ryan Bailey did in a couple of his races?

    DaveB

  16. Stephen Holt

    Stephen Holt Guest

    "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Stuart Park" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been talking to a couple of people, trying to work out how much
    > > each of those bicycles would be worth - any ideas?

    > You can probably hunt around the companies' Web sites -- bikes used in
    > the Olympics have to also be on public sale.

    I saw and interview with one of the British track cycling coaching staff.
    He had said that they had made all their own bikes to their own design.
    Some company associated with Formula One made all the carbon fibre bits and
    pieces for them. You may notice that their bikes are plain black with no
    logos or stickers on them.

    Don't know how this fits with the above statement.

    Stephen.

    > --
    > Shane Stanley

  17. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    It's to unnerve the opponent and put them off coming around too close.
    Make them take a wider line takes them longer to pass/slows them down.

    hippy

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Stephen Holt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > You can probably hunt around the companies' Web sites -- bikes used in
    > > the Olympics have to also be on public sale.
    > >

    > I saw and interview with one of the British track cycling coaching staff.
    > He had said that they had made all their own bikes to their own design.
    > Some company associated with Formula One made all the carbon fibre bits and
    > pieces for them. You may notice that their bikes are plain black with no
    > logos or stickers on them.
    >
    > Don't know how this fits with the above statement.

    Me either. I guess I should say that I was quoting cyclingnews.com.
    Maybe they can't put a brand on them if they're not for sale.

    --
    Shane Stanley

  19. "Shane Stanley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Stephen Holt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I saw and interview with one of the British track cycling coaching

    staff.
    > > He had said that they had made all their own bikes to their own design.
    > > Some company associated with Formula One made all the carbon fibre bits

    and
    > > pieces for them. You may notice that their bikes are plain black with

    no
    > > logos or stickers on them.
    > >
    > > Don't know how this fits with the above statement.

    > Me either. I guess I should say that I was quoting cyclingnews.com.
    > Maybe they can't put a brand on them if they're not for sale.
    >
    > --
    > Shane Stanley

    From Cyling News regarding the Olympics

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug23news2

    "One thing is for certain, the UCI stipulates that any machine used in
    competition must be commercially available, even if the price tags may be a
    little stratospheric for the weekend warrior."

    Marty