Omelet

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Terry, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    sour cream.
    Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    Tags:

  2. tsr3

    tsr3 Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    I've had such an omelet at IHOP many times. It's great--try stuffing
    it with hash-browns also, for a true gall bladder blowout!

    --r3

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    A "common" omelet is simply eggs cooked and folded over, with some cheese
    sprinkled in the middle (I'll have to consult with Julia about this). I
    like mine with bacon, spinach and brie. I see no sense in topping an omelet
    with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.

    But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
    opinion.

    Jill

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    >[snip]. I see no sense in topping an omelet
    > with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.
    >
    > But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
    > opinion.

    Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
    the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
    diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
    fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
    creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

  5. Reg

    Reg Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
    > the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
    > diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
    > fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
    > creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

    I had snowpea greens for the first time the other day. Spinach-like,
    with a bit more flavor. Very nice. I'll be back for more.

    Are you a fan of the greens?

    --
    Reg

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    Reg wrote:

    > I had snowpea greens for the first time the other day. Spinach-like,
    > with a bit more flavor. Very nice. I'll be back for more.
    >
    > Are you a fan of the greens?

    You mean the shoots? They're okay, I guess. Very delicate. I don't
    know how they grow and harvest the plants to maximize harvesting those
    things. Picking the peapods is about the limit of my gardening skill.
    -aem

  7. "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    We like crisp crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, diced tomatoes, chopped
    green onions. Top with sour cream and salsa. Avocado also fits in very
    nicely with the above.
    Janet

  8. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the salsa is
    uncommon.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    <lol> It sounds delicious, but there is no such thing as a "common"
    omelet. I usually use leftovers or anything in the frige that needs to
    be used!

    "Common" omelet ingredients to me would include:

    Ham
    Cheese
    Bacon
    Avocado
    Tomato
    Veggie medlies
    Summer squash
    Onions
    Garlic
    Chili peppers fresh cooked or canned
    Black Olives
    Leftover cooked meats to include
    beef strips, pork strips, sausage,
    cooked chicken, etc.
    Spinach
    Shallots
    Bok Choy
    Mushrooms of all sorts such as
    Oyster, white button, shitake
    or Portabello.

    I think you get the idea. <G>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  10. George

    George Guest

    aem wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >>[snip]. I see no sense in topping an omelet
    >>with salsa unless you just wish to hide the taste of everything else.
    >>
    >>But then again, I hate salsa in any way, shape or form. Again, just my
    >>opinion.

    > Never say never. One of our favorites when we have snowpeas growing in
    > the garden is to cook snowpeas briefly in butter (sliced on the
    > diagonal if large), then pour beaten eggs over. When you top that with
    > fresh salsa you get a great contrast of taste and texture -- soft
    > creamy eggs, crunchy green snowpea, and tangy fresh salsa. -aem

    We do something similar only use strips of red and green bell peppers.
    Nice texture and flavor contrasts as you described.

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    >> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
    >> and sour cream.
    >> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.
    >>

    > I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
    > salsa is uncommon.

    It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came in a
    jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa, and
    picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with! :)

  12. On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:36:09 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The Bubbo wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
    >>> and sour cream.
    >>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    >> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
    >> salsa is uncommon.

    >It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came in a
    >jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa, and
    >picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with! :)

    I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
    More for everyone else! :D

    Peace,
    Carol

  13. On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:36:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
    >>> and sour cream.
    >>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.
    >>>

    >> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
    >> salsa is uncommon.

    > It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came
    > in a jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa,
    > and picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with! :)

    Okay, hold still so I can aim! :) I love salsa and picante sauce, but I
    don't like any tomato products in or on my omelettes. I do sometimes like a
    bit of hot sauce sprinkled on.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  14. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa
    >>> and sour cream.
    >>> Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.
    >>>

    >> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
    >> salsa is uncommon.

    > It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it
    > came in a jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike
    > salsa, and picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with! :)

    I've been doing egg-white spinach, tomato and onion omelettes with some
    parmesan and some drips of tabasco or Cholula on top. Top of the Pops,
    imho.

    Andy

  15. "Terry" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > I just had a Ham and Cheese Omelet with onions, covered with salsa and
    > sour cream.
    > Is this a common omelet? It sure is good.

    It's just my opinion but an omelet can have just about anything in it you
    want. Sometimes I make a garbage omelet with whatever is in the fridge.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  16. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:36:09 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The Bubbo wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I've had it without the salsa a number of times, I can't imagine the
    > >> salsa is uncommon.

    > >It's not uncommon, I simply do not like salsa. I don't care if it came in a
    > >jar from Texas, or New York City, or homemade... I dislike salsa, and
    > >picante sauce, too. Shoot me and get it over with! :)

    > I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
    > More for everyone else! :D

    You probably wouldn't like huevos ranchero. Heat up a couple of
    tortillas. Put on a plate and put fried eggs on top. Pour heated fresh
    tomato salsa over.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  17. On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:29:33 -0700, Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
    >> More for everyone else! :D

    >You probably wouldn't like huevos ranchero. Heat up a couple of
    >tortillas. Put on a plate and put fried eggs on top. Pour heated fresh
    >tomato salsa over.

    You're absolutely right on that. Huevos ranchero was the term I was
    thinking of, but I had NO idea how to spell it.

    MORE FOR YOU!

    Peace,
    Carol

  18. Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > I like salsa, but the thought of it on eggs is very unsettling to me.
    > More for everyone else! :D
    >
    > Peace,
    > Carol

    Salsa on eggs is good.

    As a last minute replacement for pasta sauce on macoroni it isn't that bad
    either.

    --
    -Alan