OMG - Help Please !!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gravelmuncher, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    OK, this is bad.

    I bought an '05 pre-loved carbon MTB yesterday - from a bike store. The store and owner is known by many. He gave me an amazing deal on frame and brakes, and laced a new disc hub into my wheel for peanuts. It came with a scratchy Race-Face aluminium seatpost - which didn't concern me at all, as I was only gonna pull it out and put my Titec gear in.

    And so here we arrive at my disaster. The clamp was loose, but the post was tight. I wriggled it - tight. I fitted my saddle for more leverage - tight. I wriggled harder - tight. I sprayed RP7 around the post and slots, wriggled - tight. Hmm. I removed the saddle and clamped 2 screwdrivers into the saddle-rail channels - tight. I SWUNG of the damn screwdrivers - tight. I grabbed it with VISE-GRIPS and swung off it whilst ALSO swinging off a screwdriver with my other hand - TIGHT.

    This is where I kinda lost my head.

    I figured that it HAD to give soon, and seeing that the post was stuffed now anyways, I drilled a hole through the post about 20mm above the clamp. I inserted a LONG screwdriver through this hole, and twisted either end.

    This is where I ended up with the top half of the post in my lap - snapped.

    I've spent most of yesterday evening and most of today seeping Penetrene around the post, and wriggling the remaining 20mm of post with the vise grips. I don't beleive that it has even moved 1/10 of a mm. Late this afternoon I rigged up a long bolt with a washer and nut at one end - which I fed into the wounded post, and when in position the washer covered the BASE of the post (inside the tube) and allowed me to hammer the post from the inside-out. Great idea - no result. I hit it with enough force to omlette the washer, yet not shift the post.

    This is the point where I sit here - SHATTERED. I have no more ideas. Has ANYBODY ever experienced this with a CF frame ?? Does anybody know where I can get some help with this. I realise that I may well have made my problem 100 times worse by snapping the post, but am I lumped with a write-off ??

    :( gm :(

    Tags:

  2. parawolf

    parawolf New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Get a dremel and cut a line down the inside perhaps?

  3. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    I'd take it back to the shop to see if they can help.

  4. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Mar 11, 6:34 pm, gravelmuncher <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > OK, this is bad.
    >
    > I bought an '05 pre-loved carbon MTB yesterday - from a bike store.
    > The store and owner is known by many. He gave me an amazing deal on
    > frame and brakes, and laced a new disc hub into my wheel for peanuts.
    > It came with a scratchy Race-Face aluminium seatpost - which didn't
    > concern me at all, as I was only gonna pull it out and put my Titec
    > gear in.
    >
    > And so here we arrive at my disaster. The clamp was loose, but the
    > post was tight. I wriggled it - tight. I fitted my saddle for more
    > leverage - tight. I wriggled harder - tight. I sprayed RP7 around the
    > post and slots, wriggled - tight. Hmm. I removed the saddle and
    > clamped 2 screwdrivers into the saddle-rail channels - tight. I SWUNG
    > of the damn screwdrivers - tight. I grabbed it with VISE-GRIPS and
    > swung off it whilst ALSO swinging off a screwdriver with my other hand
    > - TIGHT.
    >
    > This is where I kinda lost my head.
    >
    > I figured that it HAD to give soon, and seeing that the post was
    > stuffed now anyways, I drilled a hole through the post about 20mm above
    > the clamp. I inserted a LONG screwdriver through this hole, and twisted
    > either end.
    >
    > This is where I ended up with the top half of the post in my lap -
    > snapped.
    >
    > I've spent most of yesterday evening and most of today seeping
    > Penetrene around the post, and wriggling the remaining 20mm of post
    > with the vise grips. I don't beleive that it has even moved 1/10 of a
    > mm. Late this afternoon I rigged up a long bolt with a washer and nut
    > at one end - which I fed into the wounded post, and when in position
    > the washer covered the BASE of the post (inside the tube) and allowed
    > me to hammer the post from the inside-out. Great idea - no result. I
    > hit it with enough force to omlette the washer, yet not shift the
    > post.
    >
    > This is the point where I sit here - SHATTERED. I have no more ideas.
    > Has ANYBODY ever experienced this with a CF frame ?? Does anybody know
    > where I can get some help with this. I realise that I may well have
    > made my problem 100 times worse by snapping the post, but am I lumped
    > with a write-off ??
    >
    > :( gm :(
    >
    > --
    > gravelmuncher

    Post this onto rec.bicycles.tech . It's full of very experienced bike
    shop owners and wrenches and they are bound to have the answer.

    Good luck! Jeez, keep your cool mate.

    Donga

  5. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Thanks Donga, i'll do it right away.

    gm :(

  6. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Mar 11, 6:34 pm, gravelmuncher <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > OK, this is bad.
    >
    > I bought an '05 pre-loved carbon MTB yesterday - from a bike store.
    > The store and owner is known by many. He gave me an amazing deal on
    > frame and brakes, and laced a new disc hub into my wheel for peanuts.
    > It came with a scratchy Race-Face aluminium seatpost - which didn't
    > concern me at all, as I was only gonna pull it out and put my Titec
    > gear in.
    >
    > And so here we arrive at my disaster. The clamp was loose, but the
    > post was tight. I wriggled it - tight. I fitted my saddle for more
    > leverage - tight. I wriggled harder - tight. I sprayed RP7 around the
    > post and slots, wriggled - tight. Hmm. I removed the saddle and
    > clamped 2 screwdrivers into the saddle-rail channels - tight. I SWUNG
    > of the damn screwdrivers - tight. I grabbed it with VISE-GRIPS and
    > swung off it whilst ALSO swinging off a screwdriver with my other hand
    > - TIGHT.
    >
    > This is where I kinda lost my head.
    >
    > I figured that it HAD to give soon, and seeing that the post was
    > stuffed now anyways, I drilled a hole through the post about 20mm above
    > the clamp. I inserted a LONG screwdriver through this hole, and twisted
    > either end.
    >
    > This is where I ended up with the top half of the post in my lap -
    > snapped.
    >
    > I've spent most of yesterday evening and most of today seeping
    > Penetrene around the post, and wriggling the remaining 20mm of post
    > with the vise grips. I don't beleive that it has even moved 1/10 of a
    > mm. Late this afternoon I rigged up a long bolt with a washer and nut
    > at one end - which I fed into the wounded post, and when in position
    > the washer covered the BASE of the post (inside the tube) and allowed
    > me to hammer the post from the inside-out. Great idea - no result. I
    > hit it with enough force to omlette the washer, yet not shift the
    > post.
    >
    > This is the point where I sit here - SHATTERED. I have no more ideas.
    > Has ANYBODY ever experienced this with a CF frame ?? Does anybody know
    > where I can get some help with this. I realise that I may well have
    > made my problem 100 times worse by snapping the post, but am I lumped
    > with a write-off ??
    >
    > :( gm :(
    >
    > --
    > gravelmuncher

    How far into the frame is the post? Could you hacksaw off the top of
    the post and then saw the inside of the post?

  7. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Mate, there's about 120mm still in the post. I was entertaining the thought of doing just how you said, with four hacksawed-slots around the post. But I was worried about scoring the carbon, and even with the cut's I'd figured it'd STILL be stuck AND with the remaining bit of post gone there'd be nothing left to have any purchase on at all.

    gm

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Take it back! Please don't compound an already bad situation.

  9. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    >> How far into the frame is the post? Could you hacksaw off the top of
    >> the post and then saw the inside of the post?

    > Mate, there's about 120mm still in the post. I was entertaining the
    > thought of doing just how you said, but figure it'd STILL be stuck.
    >
    > gm

    Don't do it! I've been down this path with a fork that was stuck. The
    only thing that got it out was a blowtorch. But you're talking CF/alu
    not steel/alu so that's not an option. Get it back to the shop, or if
    you're in melb maybe talk the boys at Abbotsford Cycles.

    DaveB

  10. Friday

    Friday Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    > OK, this is bad.
    >
    > I bought an '05 pre-loved carbon MTB yesterday - from a bike store.
    > The store and owner is known by many. He gave me an amazing deal on
    > frame and brakes, and laced a new disc hub into my wheel for peanuts.
    > It came with a scratchy Race-Face aluminium seatpost - which didn't
    > concern me at all, as I was only gonna pull it out and put my Titec
    > gear in.
    >
    > And so here we arrive at my disaster. The clamp was loose, but the
    > post was tight. I wriggled it - tight. I fitted my saddle for more
    > leverage - tight. I wriggled harder - tight. I sprayed RP7 around the
    > post and slots, wriggled - tight. Hmm. I removed the saddle and
    > clamped 2 screwdrivers into the saddle-rail channels - tight. I SWUNG
    > of the damn screwdrivers - tight. I grabbed it with VISE-GRIPS and
    > swung off it whilst ALSO swinging off a screwdriver with my other hand
    > - TIGHT.
    >
    > This is where I kinda lost my head.
    >
    > I figured that it HAD to give soon, and seeing that the post was
    > stuffed now anyways, I drilled a hole through the post about 20mm above
    > the clamp. I inserted a LONG screwdriver through this hole, and twisted
    > either end.
    >
    > This is where I ended up with the top half of the post in my lap -
    > snapped.
    >
    > I've spent most of yesterday evening and most of today seeping
    > Penetrene around the post, and wriggling the remaining 20mm of post
    > with the vise grips. I don't beleive that it has even moved 1/10 of a
    > mm. Late this afternoon I rigged up a long bolt with a washer and nut
    > at one end - which I fed into the wounded post, and when in position
    > the washer covered the BASE of the post (inside the tube) and allowed
    > me to hammer the post from the inside-out. Great idea - no result. I
    > hit it with enough force to omlette the washer, yet not shift the
    > post.
    >
    > This is the point where I sit here - SHATTERED. I have no more ideas.
    > Has ANYBODY ever experienced this with a CF frame ?? Does anybody know
    > where I can get some help with this. I realise that I may well have
    > made my problem 100 times worse by snapping the post, but am I lumped
    > with a write-off ??
    >
    > :( gm :(

    Try cooling (freezing) it. Aluminum has a high temperature co-efficient.
    It should shrink more than the carbon fibre.

    friday

  11. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Thankyou to all who have offered their advice. The LEGENDARY store owner has replied to me personally after viewing this thread, and has offered to help me with the problem.

    gm

  12. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Just to let you know - my nightmare has officially ended. With a most ingenious twist, said LEGENDARY LBS owner has extracted the post.

    Now, I admit freely to buying stuff off ebay occasionally. However, in this instance, words cannot describe the feeling of relief that I experienced today when this guy took my problem on - and indeed made it HIS problem. This experience has proved to me that, whatever kind of bargain you think you're getting at auction, it compares NOUGHT to the experience and assistance offered by an honest, professional bike store.

    Which, in my most recent adventure, was absolutely PRICELESS.

    Thanks again Kerry. I wish you every success.

    gm

  13. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gravelmuncher wrote:
    > Just to let you know - my nightmare has officially ended. With a most
    > ingenious twist, said LEGENDARY LBS owner has extracted the post.
    >
    > Now, I admit freely to buying stuff off ebay occasionally. However, in
    > this instance, words cannot describe the feeling of relief that I
    > experienced today when this guy took my problem on - and indeed made it
    > HIS problem. This experience has proved to me that, whatever kind of
    > bargain you think you're getting at auction, it compares NOUGHT to the
    > experience and assistance offered by an honest, professional bike
    > store.
    >
    > Which, in my most recent adventure, was absolutely PRICELESS.
    >
    > Thanks again Kerry. I wish you every success.
    >
    > gm

    Come on then - how'd they do it? Saw vertically through
    remaining post? Put post stump in vice and twist frame?
    Wrap towel around frame and soak in hot water whilst
    blocking post with something and filling with iced water?
    If the post is a thin enough alloy, you could squash it and
    fold it (kinda heart shaped x-section) to get it out.

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.