Omron Pedometer

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Palmag72, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Palmag72

    Palmag72 Guest

    I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so complex -can anyone tell me how
    many walking steps make a mile?

    Tags:

  2. Leo

    Leo Guest

    "PalmaG72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so
    complex
    > -can anyone tell me how many walking steps make a mile?

    depends on length of stride.. measure that.. walk about ten steps and measure/ divide by 10 and you
    get stride length.. mine is 2 feet..

    divide length of mile in feet by stride..5,280/2

    = 2,640 steps for me...

    leo

  3. Bj

    Bj Guest

    depends on how long your stride is -- 18"? 3ft? The calibration usually involves walking <x> steps
    and then adjusting the meter. You could do several runs to get an average, &/or do longer
    calibration sets to get less error.

    "PalmaG72" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so
    complex
    > -can anyone tell me how many walking steps make a mile?

  4. Palmag72

    Palmag72 Guest

    Leo - thanks for your quick reply - my neighbor measured my stride and I forgot to write it down - I
    hope he remembers so he could tell me - My other pedometer (no battery) is so slow - took a week to
    tell me a walk was a mile

  5. SPeacock

    SPeacock Guest

    PalmaG72 wrote:

    > I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so complex -can anyone tell me
    > how many walking steps make a mile?

    The Romans used to get a gent with the correct stride to keep the troops going at the correct
    'pace'. His 'stride', or Roman Pace was, from left to left, exactly the correct length to make a
    mile (mille = 1000) in 1000 paces.

    So... If you have the correct left to left (or right to right) foot stride or pace then you can
    count the number of paces in 36 seconds and divide by 10 to get the MPH. I leave it as an exercise
    for the reader to figure out how that works (and also to convert to metric). If you have 33 paces in
    36 seconds then you are going about 3.3 MPH - assuming that you can make 1000 paces per mile.

    If you measure your actual pace then you can make the needed corrections to the rule of
    thumb formula.

    This does not work that well on uneven or going up/down hill a lot.