Omron Pedometer

Palmag72

Guest
I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so complex -can anyone tell me how
many walking steps make a mile?

"PalmaG72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so
complex
> -can anyone tell me how many walking steps make a mile?

depends on length of stride.. measure that.. walk about ten steps and measure/ divide by 10 and you
get stride length.. mine is 2 feet..

divide length of mile in feet by stride..5,280/2

= 2,640 steps for me...

leo

depends on how long your stride is -- 18"? 3ft? The calibration usually involves walking <x> steps
and then adjusting the meter. You could do several runs to get an average, &/or do longer
calibration sets to get less error.

"PalmaG72" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so
complex
> -can anyone tell me how many walking steps make a mile?

Leo - thanks for your quick reply - my neighbor measured my stride and I forgot to write it down - I
hope he remembers so he could tell me - My other pedometer (no battery) is so slow - took a week to
tell me a walk was a mile

PalmaG72 wrote:

> I bought an Omron Pedometer - had my neighbor adjust it but it is so complex -can anyone tell me
> how many walking steps make a mile?

The Romans used to get a gent with the correct stride to keep the troops going at the correct
'pace'. His 'stride', or Roman Pace was, from left to left, exactly the correct length to make a
mile (mille = 1000) in 1000 paces.

So... If you have the correct left to left (or right to right) foot stride or pace then you can
count the number of paces in 36 seconds and divide by 10 to get the MPH. I leave it as an exercise
for the reader to figure out how that works (and also to convert to metric). If you have 33 paces in
36 seconds then you are going about 3.3 MPH - assuming that you can make 1000 paces per mile.

If you measure your actual pace then you can make the needed corrections to the rule of
thumb formula.

This does not work that well on uneven or going up/down hill a lot.