On a Roll

~patches~

Guest
I'm in the mood to catch up from not being able to cook much for a week
and a half so today I set about preserving and cooking.

Last night: I canned up 9 pints of roasted tomato sauce and made a
really rich beef stock.

Today: I canned up the beef stock - 8 pints. I prefer it canned to
frozen as it is ready to use. While the stock was processing, I put a
whole chicken on the grill for roasting. Since the grill was on, I
decided to add a nice pot of baked beans that will be canned in about an
hour or so. Once the beans were going, I decided to can up the green
beans and okra. At four jars total it was hardly worth running the
canner but okra is so hard to come by here and the beans are still going
full tilt. I swear next year I'm going to try growing okra! While
waiting for the pressure canner to depressurize, I started the 3 huge
heads of cauliflower for freezing.

Tonight: I'm finishing up the cauliflower then doing up 4 lg heads of
broccoli for freezing. I'll can up the baked beans. I'll make some
gravy from the chicken drippings. I'm thinking of doing a batch of hot
sauce from the BBB since I have an abundance of hot peppers and a good
basket full of tomatoes to use up. We'll see as I'll be running out of
steam pretty soon ;)

Dinner: DH is away so I'm going to have some of the roasted chicken,
cauliflower with cheese sauce and perhaps beans or maybe even a potato.

On Wed 07 Sep 2005 03:03:47p, ~patches~ wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm in the mood to catch up from not being able to cook much for a week
> and a half so today I set about preserving and cooking.
>
> Last night: I canned up 9 pints of roasted tomato sauce and made a
> really rich beef stock.
>
> Today: I canned up the beef stock - 8 pints. I prefer it canned to
> frozen as it is ready to use. While the stock was processing, I put a
> whole chicken on the grill for roasting. Since the grill was on, I
> decided to add a nice pot of baked beans that will be canned in about an
> hour or so. Once the beans were going, I decided to can up the green
> beans and okra. At four jars total it was hardly worth running the
> canner but okra is so hard to come by here and the beans are still going
> full tilt. I swear next year I'm going to try growing okra! While
> waiting for the pressure canner to depressurize, I started the 3 huge
> heads of cauliflower for freezing.
>
> Tonight: I'm finishing up the cauliflower then doing up 4 lg heads of
> broccoli for freezing. I'll can up the baked beans. I'll make some
> gravy from the chicken drippings. I'm thinking of doing a batch of hot
> sauce from the BBB since I have an abundance of hot peppers and a good
> basket full of tomatoes to use up. We'll see as I'll be running out of
> steam pretty soon ;)

ACK! You made me so tired! :)

> Dinner: DH is away so I'm going to have some of the roasted chicken,
> cauliflower with cheese sauce and perhaps beans or maybe even a potato.

That sounds good!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm in the mood to catch up from not being able to cook much for a week
> and a half so today I set about preserving and cooking.
>
> Last night: I canned up 9 pints of roasted tomato sauce and made a really
> rich beef stock.
>
> Today: I canned up the beef stock - 8 pints. I prefer it canned to
> frozen as it is ready to use. While the stock was processing, I put a
> whole chicken on the grill for roasting. Since the grill was on, I
> decided to add a nice pot of baked beans that will be canned in about an
> hour or so. Once the beans were going, I decided to can up the green
> beans and okra. At four jars total it was hardly worth running the canner
> but okra is so hard to come by here and the beans are still going full
> tilt. I swear next year I'm going to try growing okra! While waiting for
> the pressure canner to depressurize, I started the 3 huge heads of
> cauliflower for freezing.
>
> Tonight: I'm finishing up the cauliflower then doing up 4 lg heads of
> broccoli for freezing. I'll can up the baked beans. I'll make some gravy
> from the chicken drippings. I'm thinking of doing a batch of hot sauce
> from the BBB since I have an abundance of hot peppers and a good basket
> full of tomatoes to use up. We'll see as I'll be running out of steam
> pretty soon ;)
>
> Dinner: DH is away so I'm going to have some of the roasted chicken,
> cauliflower with cheese sauce and perhaps beans or maybe even a potato.

Dear Patches:
I love the way you say, I canned 'up.' I wonder where you are from --
that's something that I would say.
My DH did grown okra for about 5 years here in Virginia until he got
arthritis -- but it was very prolific and we had a little bit almost
everyday during the summer, just hot stirfried, not breaded, nothing.
Sometimes added a little soy sauce on our plates.
I admire your canning abilities; I tried it one summer years ago and without
a/c, it's a tribute to one's stamina.

My dinner tonight was dal (red pink lentils w/tumeric, ginger, dundicut
pepper, asaoefetida & cumin seeds), curried coconut rice, and cucumber/onion
raita with a glass of wine. On to a movie and some sweets.
Dee Dee

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:03:47 -0400, ~patches~
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm in the mood to catch up from not being able to cook much for a week
>and a half so today I set about preserving and cooking.

I thought this was going to be a post about a sandwich :)

Sue(tm)

"~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm in the mood to catch up from not being able to cook much for a week
> and a half so today I set about preserving and cooking.
>
> Last night: I canned up 9 pints of roasted tomato sauce and made a
> really rich beef stock.
>
> Today: I canned up the beef stock - 8 pints. I prefer it canned to
> frozen as it is ready to use. While the stock was processing, I put a
> whole chicken on the grill for roasting. Since the grill was on, I
> decided to add a nice pot of baked beans that will be canned in about an
> hour or so. Once the beans were going, I decided to can up the green
> beans and okra. At four jars total it was hardly worth running the
> canner but okra is so hard to come by here and the beans are still going
> full tilt. I swear next year I'm going to try growing okra! While
> waiting for the pressure canner to depressurize, I started the 3 huge
> heads of cauliflower for freezing.
>
> Tonight: I'm finishing up the cauliflower then doing up 4 lg heads of
> broccoli for freezing. I'll can up the baked beans. I'll make some
> gravy from the chicken drippings. I'm thinking of doing a batch of hot
> sauce from the BBB since I have an abundance of hot peppers and a good
> basket full of tomatoes to use up. We'll see as I'll be running out of
> steam pretty soon ;)
>
> Dinner: DH is away so I'm going to have some of the roasted chicken,
> cauliflower with cheese sauce and perhaps beans or maybe even a potato.

I see the new crystal meth habit is working out really well for you ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:15:59 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:

> I see the new crystal meth habit is working out really well for you ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe

Not funny. Please think twice before posting, because that was a
cruel thing to say.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:15:59 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:
> >
> > I see the new crystal meth habit is working out really well for you

',;~}~

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Not funny.

So don't laugh.

Maybe you didn't find it funny - that does not mean that no one else did, or
that it was inherantly 'not funny' - just that you did not find it that way.

> Please think twice before posting, because that was a
> cruel thing to say.

No it was not a cruel thing to say. How could it have been? I posted it in a
good humoured, good natured way, a jocular comment on the amount of energy
it must have taken to get such an incredible amount done. Do you think that
Patches or anyone reading it would take my comment and believe Patches to
have such a drug problem?!?

C'mon - Heck, it's not like it was even pointed at you.

I urge you to find a way to become less over-sensitive on the behalf of
others - it will do your blood pressure and/or nerves a whole world of good.
Trust me!

Be wise and well my dear.

Shaun aRe
--
Life is the dream you wake up to.

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:15:59 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>>> I see the new crystal meth habit is working out really well for you

> ',;~}~
>

>>> Shaun aRe
>>>

>>Not funny.

> So don't laugh.
>
> Maybe you didn't find it funny - that does not mean that no one else did, or
> that it was inherantly 'not funny' - just that you did not find it that way.

I didn't find it funny either.

>>Please think twice before posting, because that was a
>>cruel thing to say.

> No it was not a cruel thing to say. How could it have been? I posted it in a
> good humoured, good natured way, a jocular comment on the amount of energy
> it must have taken to get such an incredible amount done. Do you think that
> Patches or anyone reading it would take my comment and believe Patches to
> have such a drug problem?!?
>
> C'mon - Heck, it's not like it was even pointed at you.

No, but it was directed at me. Yes it takes a lot of energy and yes a
lot of work for the amount of cooking I posted about. Obviously you
were the only interested poster and you did take the time to post a
cruel and undeserved comment. I take great pride in my cooking and
don't feel like being referred to as some type of druggie. It was a
legitimate cooking thread. Sorry, but your comment was in very bad
taste. Am I upset, perhaps on the surface enough to say something but
not enough to let it bother me. That's why we have killfiles for people
who tend to try dumping the apple cart. Have a great day. Goodbye.

> I urge you to find a way to become less over-sensitive on the behalf of
> others - it will do your blood pressure and/or nerves a whole world of good.
> Trust me!
>
> Be wise and well my dear.
>

> Shaun aRe
> --
> Life is the dream you wake up to.

"~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:

> > No it was not a cruel thing to say. How could it have been? I posted it

in a
> > good humoured, good natured way, a jocular comment on the amount of

energy
> > it must have taken to get such an incredible amount done. Do you think

that
> > Patches or anyone reading it would take my comment and believe Patches

> > have such a drug problem?!?
> >
> > C'mon - Heck, it's not like it was even pointed at you.

> No, but it was directed at me. Yes it takes a lot of energy and yes a
> lot of work for the amount of cooking I posted about. Obviously you
> were the only interested poster and you did take the time to post a
> cruel and undeserved comment.

Why do you feel it was 'cruel'?

> I take great pride in my cooking and
> don't feel like being referred to as some type of druggie.

And so you should take great pride in it - I was astounded at how much you
had achieved in that amount of time. I hadn't figured you for such a
sensitive type.

> It was a
> legitimate cooking thread. Sorry, but your comment was in very bad
> taste. Am I upset, perhaps on the surface enough to say something but
> not enough to let it bother me. That's why we have killfiles for people
> who tend to try dumping the apple cart. Have a great day. Goodbye.

Whatever - it is of course your choice to KF me, as it is also *your choice*
to take ofence.

Shaun aRe