on Atkins, but...

Norma

Guest
I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly closely.
I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free. I've
never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above benefits. I
could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely
enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how
to kick start? Thanks

ddgm

> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
> closely.
> I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
> low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free.
> I've never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above
> benefits. I could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not
> following it closely enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of
> eggs, and meat, and green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener.
> Any suggestions on how to kick start? Thanks
>
> ddgm

Some people think they are following it closely, but upon examination, it
turns out that they are using a lot of caffeine (which stalls some people),
or Aspartame (ditto), or coffee (ditto). You also didn't say how long you
have been doing the diet.

Pat in TX

Norma wrote:
:: I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
:: closely. I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that
:: high protein, low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am
:: almost migraine free. I've never lost any weight, but I stay with it
:: because of the above benefits. I could stand to lose abut 20 lbs,
:: but maybe I'm just not following it closely enough. I have the book.
:: and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and green salad. No
:: starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how to kick
:: start? Thanks

Daily exercise. Walking, weight lifting.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Norma" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote:

> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly closely.
> I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
> low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free. I've
> never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above benefits. I
> could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely
> enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
> green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how
> to kick start? Thanks
>
> ddgm

Are you exercising? :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Hi Pat. I"ve been doing it now for about 3 months. I was on it for about 2
1/2 years a couple of years ago, and it was the same thing. I felt much
better but didn't lose any weight. I stopped gradually over time ( lost my
mom, etc) and started getting the pain from the hernia and was back up to a
migraine a week. Seem my body doesn't like carbs much. Nothing else has ever
cut back on the frequency. I've only had 1 headache since going back to
Atkins. My typical day is -
-1/2 cup egg salad with hellmans on lettuce.
-1 decaf coffee a day with one splenda and table cream
-coleslaw about 1/2 cup
-either chicken breast or a pork chop (or 2) fried in olive oil,
-a bowl of special K for a snack, (with cream)
-and lots of water through the day.
-some days I have bacon, and/or cheese

I work standing, so don't get much time during the day for exercise, and
right now you are taking your life in your hands to try walking outside(
very icy around here) my exercise consists of climbing the stairs and
practising 2-3 times a day Polynesian dancing. probably about 5 minutes or
so each time. (Just started this a few months ago.)

ddgm
"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
>> closely.
>> I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
>> low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free.
>> I've never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above
>> benefits. I could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not
>> following it closely enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of
>> eggs, and meat, and green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener.
>> Any suggestions on how to kick start? Thanks
>>
>> ddgm

> Some people think they are following it closely, but upon examination, it
> turns out that they are using a lot of caffeine (which stalls some
> people), or Aspartame (ditto), or coffee (ditto). You also didn't say how
> long you have been doing the diet.
>
> Pat in TX

Hi Roger,
my exercise consists of climbing the stairs several times a day and probably
5 minutes or so of Polynesian dancing. believe me, that is harder than it
looks! I will try weight lifting of some sort as soon as my tennis elbow
subsides.
Thanks.

D.D.G.M.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Norma wrote:
> :: I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
> :: closely. I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that
> :: high protein, low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am
> :: almost migraine free. I've never lost any weight, but I stay with it
> :: because of the above benefits. I could stand to lose abut 20 lbs,
> :: but maybe I'm just not following it closely enough. I have the book.
> :: and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and green salad. No
> :: starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how to kick
> :: start? Thanks
>
> Daily exercise. Walking, weight lifting.

Hi Om, I am trying to exercise as much as I can. mostly dancing and climbing
the stairs.

--
In Star love and friendship,
Norma Woods
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Norma" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
>> closely.
>> I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
>> low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free.
>> I've
>> never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above benefits.
>> could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it
>> closely
>> enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
>> green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on
>> how
>> to kick start? Thanks
>>
>> ddgm
>>

> Are you exercising? :)
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> Nicholson

Oops, sorry I should have mentioned that I changed my sig to ddgm.

Norma
news:[email protected]...

ddgm wrote:

> -a bowl of special K for a snack, (with cream)

That's probably your major staller.

--
Lizard Gumbo

Ah shoot! I will stop that then. Darn it! LOL

ddgm
news:[email protected]...

"Norma" <ddgm@sympatico> wrote:

> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly closely.
> I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
> low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free. I've
> never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above benefits. I
> could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely
> enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
> green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how
> to kick start? Thanks

Calories still count. If you eat too many of them, you won't lose
weight.

says...
> ddgm wrote:
>
> > -a bowl of special K for a snack, (with cream)

> That's probably your major staller.

You might also check on the contents of the coleslaw. It can be LOADED
with sugar, depending upon how it's made.

--
Saffire
205/133/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

Dancing is good, though. Can you increase that? Also, if you have one of
those swiss balls, you can use it to do wall squats and hamstring exercises.
That way, you can workout the large muscles in your legs.

ddgm wrote:
:: Hi Roger,
:: my exercise consists of climbing the stairs several times a day and
:: probably 5 minutes or so of Polynesian dancing. believe me, that is
:: harder than it looks! I will try weight lifting of some sort as soon
:: as my tennis elbow subsides.
:: Thanks.
::
::
:: D.D.G.M.
::
::: Norma wrote:
::::: I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
::::: closely. I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found
::::: that high protein, low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I
::::: am almost migraine free. I've never lost any weight, but I stay
::::: with it because of the above benefits. I could stand to lose abut
::::: 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely enough. I
::::: have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
::::: green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any
::::: suggestions on how to kick start? Thanks
:::
::: Daily exercise. Walking, weight lifting.

Apparently Norma and ddgm are one and the same? If so, this is quite
amazing. She's says she's been on Atkins this time for 3 months and
was on it for 2 1/2 years previously, without being able to lose
weight, despite following Atkins closely and consuming 20-30g or carbs
a day. Yet, the first sample menu includes a bowl of Special K as a
snack?

And if she's that far off course, it's very likely that there are other
things wrong here. Like it leaves me wondering what she means by "very
little sweetner." Normally, I would think that probably means very
little artificial sweetner, but after the above, who knows.

Get the book, read it and follow the plan. It works.

Hi Saffire,
I just checked the label on the bottle of dressing - 3g sugars.

ddgm
"Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> says...
>> ddgm wrote:
>>
>> > -a bowl of special K for a snack, (with cream)

>> That's probably your major staller.

> You might also check on the contents of the coleslaw. It can be LOADED
> with sugar, depending upon how it's made.
>
> --
> Saffire
> 205/133/125
> Atkins since 6/14/03
> Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333
>
> *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
> in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

sorry Roger, what is a 'Swiss ball'?
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dancing is good, though. Can you increase that? Also, if you have one of
> those swiss balls, you can use it to do wall squats and hamstring
> exercises. That way, you can workout the large muscles in your legs.
>
> ddgm wrote:
> :: Hi Roger,
> :: my exercise consists of climbing the stairs several times a day and
> :: probably 5 minutes or so of Polynesian dancing. believe me, that is
> :: harder than it looks! I will try weight lifting of some sort as soon
> :: as my tennis elbow subsides.
> :: Thanks.
> ::
> ::
> :: D.D.G.M.
> ::
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: Norma wrote:
> ::::: I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
> ::::: closely. I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found
> ::::: that high protein, low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I
> ::::: am almost migraine free. I've never lost any weight, but I stay
> ::::: with it because of the above benefits. I could stand to lose abut
> ::::: 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely enough. I
> ::::: have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
> ::::: green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any
> ::::: suggestions on how to kick start? Thanks
> :::
> ::: Daily exercise. Walking, weight lifting.

I have a feeling that I am under rather than over with the calories. Maybe I
should try to eat more! I don't have much of an appetite, which is another
thing I noticed before with Atkins.
"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1hc7gsl.1apcuxs69zyicN%[email protected]...

> Calories still count. If you eat too many of them, you won't lose
> weight.

In article <[email protected]>,
"ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote:

> Hi Om, I am trying to exercise as much as I can. mostly dancing and climbing
> the stairs.

Polynesian dancing is EXCELLENT exercize, but you need to increase it to
a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes sustained per day. :)

That sounds like a helluva lot of fun.
I've considered belly dancing, I just need to find a good tape.

You might consider giving up the "special K". It might be stalling you,
and get your carbs from more leafy greens instead. A higher fiber diet
causes the gut to burn more calories just to digest the stuff. <G>

Avoid the gassers tho'. That's misery.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Thanks,
I have the book, and followed it religiously those 2 years, yet didn't lose.
I write down everything that I eat, and I use one packet of Splenda with my
coffee in the morning, and one packet of splenda with the one bowl of
special K - that's it. (and yes, Norma and ddgm are one and the same. I
munged my identity only because I am trying to rid myself of some spam, and
right now can't change my address.) age mid 50s, height 5'2", weight 150lbs.
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Apparently Norma and ddgm are one and the same? If so, this is quite
> amazing. She's says she's been on Atkins this time for 3 months and
> was on it for 2 1/2 years previously, without being able to lose
> weight, despite following Atkins closely and consuming 20-30g or carbs
> a day. Yet, the first sample menu includes a bowl of Special K as a
> snack?
>
> And if she's that far off course, it's very likely that there are other
> things wrong here. Like it leaves me wondering what she means by "very
> little sweetner." Normally, I would think that probably means very
> little artificial sweetner, but after the above, who knows.
>
> Get the book, read it and follow the plan. It works.

In article <1hc7gsl.1apcuxs69zyicN%[email protected]>,
[email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:

> "Norma" <ddgm@sympatico> wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly closely.
> > I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high protein,
> > low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine free. I've
> > never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above benefits. I
> > could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not following it closely
> > enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of eggs, and meat, and
> > green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener. Any suggestions on how
> > to kick start? Thanks

> Calories still count. If you eat too many of them, you won't lose
> weight.

Truer words were never spoken. :)

No matter WHAT diet you follow, calories still count.
(Altho' due to biochemistry, some calories count more than others.....)

That's why Lyle's PSMF works better for me than Atkins.
Atkins preaches a bit too much fat, but that is very much a personal
opinion! Don't take it as gospel. <G>

It's just that since fat contains 9 calories per gram while protein and
carbs contain only 4 calories per gram, it's easier to cut total
calories by cutting fat, and it allows you to eat more volume.

My personal savior lately has been Shirataki.