on Atkins, but...

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me here. I will take your
suggestions and get on track.

not lately, but I will speak to the doc about that, next time I see him.
Thanks for the suggestion.
news:[email protected]...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:>
> My body responds the same to starch of ANY kind the same way it responds
> to sugar.
>
> But I had to learn that, and it took me damned near 10 years. :-(

I have the same response--I'm back on OWL right now, and were I to eat
the occasional bowl of Special K (or an equivalent amount of any grain-
or potato-based carbs), I not only wouldn't be losing weight, but I'd
probably gain it back. I can't eat that stuff at all--not even in
moderation, not even while on Maintenance (as I discovered over the
holidays).

It sounds like Norma can maintain while eating Special K, but not while
losing weight. And the dressing on the cole slaw doesn't help.

Also, while I don't know how much heavy cream Norma's using on the
cereal, I do know that it's whoppingly high in calories. A quarter-cup
of heavy cream is 205 calories. One cup of Special K is 115 calories.
That's a 320-calorie snack. Worse, it has roughly 24g of carbs (net!)
and *less than one gram* of fiber. Bad! You have to eat a lot of
veggies to get to 24g net. However, in the process you get plenty of
fiber and nutrients. I don't see any vegetables other than lettuce and
1/2 cup of cabbage in on the sample menu Norma provided, and that's a
big problem.

And if she's using more than 1/4 cup of cream, well--that's a hell of a
lot of calories, without a correspondingly large nutritional payoff.
While Atkins de-emphasized counting calories, and it's true that you
can eat more calories when doing Atkins properly than you can on a
low-fat diet, there are limits.

That said, there are plenty of other snacks you can eat that are just
as satisfying, are lower in carbs, possibly lower in calories, and more
nutritious than Special K.

For Induction/early OWL snacks, I like celery or halved red/green
peppers with tuna salad or cream cheese, hard-boiled or devilled eggs
(made without sweet relish), deli meats (roast beef, ham, or turkey,
not bologna or other Mystery Meat), raw veggies with blue cheese
dressing, or even a 1/4-lb hamburger patty with some sliced tomato. A
small salad with chopped egg, bacon, cheese, chicken, or any other
low-carb protein source, plus dressing (with no sugar!) is good, too. I
sometimes make homemade chicken-vegetable soup and heat up a big mug
full in the microwave--it makes a great snack on a cold day.

So my biggest piece of advice to Norma is to start getting carbs from
fresh vegetables, and learn to cook them and make them a major part of
your diet. Counting carbs is only part of it; the quality of the carbs
matters, too. And vegetables are much better for you than processed
cereal.

In article <[email protected]>,
"ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Heheheheh.....
> > If you think Polynesian dancing does not work out the legs.......
> > --
> > Peace, Om.

> This is true! LOL doesn't do a lot for the upper body though. I did just get
> one of those balls that come in the cereal box given to me.

Nah... Just do Poly' dancing for the lower legs and Tai Chi for the
upper body. ;-)

Seriously tho', working the larger muscle groups burns the most
calories, and working lower body still benefits the upper due to the
overall physiology of the human body.

I know that sounds odd, but it works.
--

"Baby Strange" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:>
> > My body responds the same to starch of ANY kind the same way it responds
> > to sugar.
> >
> > But I had to learn that, and it took me damned near 10 years. :-(

> I have the same response--I'm back on OWL right now, and were I to eat
> the occasional bowl of Special K (or an equivalent amount of any grain-
> or potato-based carbs), I not only wouldn't be losing weight, but I'd
> probably gain it back. I can't eat that stuff at all--not even in
> moderation, not even while on Maintenance (as I discovered over the
> holidays).
>
> It sounds like Norma can maintain while eating Special K, but not while
> losing weight. And the dressing on the cole slaw doesn't help.
>
> Also, while I don't know how much heavy cream Norma's using on the
> cereal, I do know that it's whoppingly high in calories. A quarter-cup
> of heavy cream is 205 calories. One cup of Special K is 115 calories.
> That's a 320-calorie snack. Worse, it has roughly 24g of carbs (net!)
> and *less than one gram* of fiber. Bad! You have to eat a lot of
> veggies to get to 24g net. However, in the process you get plenty of
> fiber and nutrients. I don't see any vegetables other than lettuce and
> 1/2 cup of cabbage in on the sample menu Norma provided, and that's a
> big problem.
>
> And if she's using more than 1/4 cup of cream, well--that's a hell of a
> lot of calories, without a correspondingly large nutritional payoff.
> While Atkins de-emphasized counting calories, and it's true that you
> can eat more calories when doing Atkins properly than you can on a
> low-fat diet, there are limits.
>
> That said, there are plenty of other snacks you can eat that are just
> as satisfying, are lower in carbs, possibly lower in calories, and more
> nutritious than Special K.
>
> For Induction/early OWL snacks, I like celery or halved red/green
> peppers with tuna salad or cream cheese, hard-boiled or devilled eggs
> (made without sweet relish), deli meats (roast beef, ham, or turkey,
> not bologna or other Mystery Meat), raw veggies with blue cheese
> dressing, or even a 1/4-lb hamburger patty with some sliced tomato. A
> small salad with chopped egg, bacon, cheese, chicken, or any other
> low-carb protein source, plus dressing (with no sugar!) is good, too. I
> sometimes make homemade chicken-vegetable soup and heat up a big mug
> full in the microwave--it makes a great snack on a cold day.
>
> So my biggest piece of advice to Norma is to start getting carbs from
> fresh vegetables, and learn to cook them and make them a major part of
> your diet. Counting carbs is only part of it; the quality of the carbs
> matters, too. And vegetables are much better for you than processed
> cereal.

I'll second that...
Fat really is over-rated.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
says...
> cheez, I never thought of measuring the serving. and you are right, that is
> too much isn't it? That clinches it, no more special K.

You need to get into the habit of measuring EVERYTHING, one way or
another. I usually WEIGH most things because things fit into cup
measures differently, depending on their shape, whereas grams or ounces
are the same regardless of the shape the item is. Of course, something
as light as puffy cereal can be a little flaky in the weighing dept.

Always read the labels on packaged foods and check for what THEY
consider to be a "serving". You'd be AMAZED at how small their servings
usually are. What you consider a serving might actually be 2-3 servings
as far as the nutritional panel goes. Also, even if they portion it out
somehow within the packaging, they may not be portioning it to match the
stated serving size. A Scharffen-Berger 99% (baking) chocolate bar says
it has SEVEN "servings", but the long, solid bar is scored into only
FIVE blocks, so I had to figure it out by the grams.

--
Saffire
205/133/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I'll second that...
> Fat really is over-rated.

I still eat lots of fat--I'm in my second week back on OWL right now,
looking to lose the last 20 pounds, and get about 60-65% of my calories
from it--but I don't often eat something that's just a big fat-bomb,
containing realtively little nutrient value in exchange for all those
calories. I don't go out of my way to avoid fat, but I don't slather
butter or mayonnaise on everything, either. I measure out salad
dressings, and I don't eat huge amounts of cheese. I do pay attention
to calories, and try to avoid "empty" calories whenever possible.

I think what screws many people up when they try Atkins is that they
latch onto the idea that they can eat all kinds of high-fat foods
normally forbidden on diets. In doing so, they lose sight of the fact
that Atkins *encourages* eating a lot more fresh vegetables. I see this
a lot with people who weren't veggie-eaters before trying Atkins, or
who say they dislike vegetables (corn and potatoes usually excepted).

Having been given permission to eat all the fat you want for the first
time in your life, it's easy to ignore where it says that you need to
eat your broccoli or asparagus or peppers, too. And that's where the
common miconceptions about Atkins--that it only allows you to eat bacon
and eggs, or that all carbs are to be avoided whenever possible--come
in. I didn't look at Atkins for several years because that was exactly
the sort of **** I'd heard, and it sounded like another crackpot crash
diet. It was only after reading the book and seeing that it eventually
allowed all the green and yellow vegetables I liked that I gave it a
shot. I've had family members get surprised when they see me eating big
salads--"I thought you were doing Atkins?" "I am!"

I admit that I'm a real veggie crusader, and not above bashing folks
over the head with a stalk of broccoli or pelting them with peppers to
make my point...[laughs]

In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
says...
> snort, I guess that's true ( and obvious if I really think about it)
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>I have a feeling that I am under rather than over with the calories. Maybe
> >>I should try to eat more!

> > That's how you got fat in the first place.

Norma, I recommend ignoring JC. He's the resident troll and he insults
EVERYONE. It's what he does. Responding to him just makes him feel
special. He's been uncharacteristically quiet for a while (I'm guessing
he forgot he wasn't on-line and started talking to people face-to-face
the way he talks to people here and someone finally beat the **** out of
him, putting him in a coma for a while).

--
Saffire
205/133/125
Atkins since 6/14/03

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

In article <[email protected]>,
"Baby Strange" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >

> > I'll second that...
> > Fat really is over-rated.

> I still eat lots of fat--I'm in my second week back on OWL right now,
> looking to lose the last 20 pounds, and get about 60-65% of my calories
> from it--but I don't often eat something that's just a big fat-bomb,
> containing realtively little nutrient value in exchange for all those
> calories. I don't go out of my way to avoid fat, but I don't slather
> butter or mayonnaise on everything, either. I measure out salad
> dressings, and I don't eat huge amounts of cheese. I do pay attention
> to calories, and try to avoid "empty" calories whenever possible.
>
> I think what screws many people up when they try Atkins is that they
> latch onto the idea that they can eat all kinds of high-fat foods
> normally forbidden on diets. In doing so, they lose sight of the fact
> that Atkins *encourages* eating a lot more fresh vegetables. I see this
> a lot with people who weren't veggie-eaters before trying Atkins, or
> who say they dislike vegetables (corn and potatoes usually excepted).
>
> Having been given permission to eat all the fat you want for the first
> time in your life, it's easy to ignore where it says that you need to
> eat your broccoli or asparagus or peppers, too. And that's where the
> common miconceptions about Atkins--that it only allows you to eat bacon
> and eggs, or that all carbs are to be avoided whenever possible--come
> in. I didn't look at Atkins for several years because that was exactly
> the sort of **** I'd heard, and it sounded like another crackpot crash
> diet. It was only after reading the book and seeing that it eventually
> allowed all the green and yellow vegetables I liked that I gave it a
> shot. I've had family members get surprised when they see me eating big
> salads--"I thought you were doing Atkins?" "I am!"
>
> I admit that I'm a real veggie crusader, and not above bashing folks
> over the head with a stalk of broccoli or pelting them with peppers to
> make my point...[laughs]

All excellent points......... :)

See, no matter WHAT diet you try, total calories in vs. calories burned
are still going to count.

And if you really read the entire book by Atkins (and I have), he
agrees......
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cheez, I never thought of measuring the serving. and you are right, that
> is too much isn't it? That clinches it, no more special K.
> ddgm

That dressing you said has 3 grams of carbs also has to be measured. Is that
1 tablespoon for 3 grams? If so, how many tablespoons of it are you using?

Pat in TX

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Have you had your thyroid checked?

>> Her thyroid causes uncontrolled eating of Special K?
>>

> Sweetheart, that item's been beaten to death already.
> I think she got the point.

IOW, you're not really sure if her thyroid has anything to do with the
situation...

"Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
> says...
>> snort, I guess that's true ( and obvious if I really think about it)
>> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > That's how you got fat in the first place.

> Norma, I recommend ignoring JC. He's the resident troll and he insults
> EVERYONE. It's what he does. Responding to him just makes him feel
> special. He's been uncharacteristically quiet for a while (I'm guessing
> he forgot he wasn't on-line and started talking to people face-to-face
> the way he talks to people here and someone finally beat the **** out of
> him, putting him in a coma for a while).

Wishful thinking on your part, you old wrinkle-bag.

In article <[email protected]>,

*****.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
>> > says...

>> > Norma, I recommend ignoring JC. He's the resident troll and he insults
>> > EVERYONE. It's what he does. Responding to him just makes him feel
>> > special. He's been uncharacteristically quiet for a while (I'm
>> > guessing
>> > he forgot he wasn't on-line and started talking to people face-to-face
>> > the way he talks to people here and someone finally beat the **** out
>> > of
>> > him, putting him in a coma for a while).
>> >

>> Wishful thinking on your part, you old wrinkle-bag.
>>

> *****.

Calling out for that which you cannot obtain, again?

Saffire wrote:

> You need to get into the habit of measuring EVERYTHING, one way or
> another. I usually WEIGH most things because things fit into cup
> measures differently, depending on their shape, whereas grams or ounces
> are the same regardless of the shape the item is. Of course, something
> as light as puffy cereal can be a little flaky in the weighing dept.

This is great advice--very often what we're used to thinking of as "one
serving" is *way* off base. I got quite a shock when I started
measuring out salad dressings and oils--I'd always used far more than I
thought.

I'd also like to suggest using FitDay (www.fitday.com) to keep track of
everything you eat. It's free, and does all the math for you. I've
found it incredibly helpful in keeping count of how many calories I've
been eating, and of what kind. I also use it to plan meals,
sometimes--if I'm debating between two choices for dinner, I'll enter
the ingredients and see which one is a better fit, both carb- and
calorie-wise. It's really helped me pay attention to what I'm eating,
and has helped steer me away from some of my excesses--I used to eat a
lot more cheese, for example, until I saw how many calories I was
actually eating!

There's other features you may find useful--for example, the journal's
a good place to record changes in weight or measurements, or even just
to vent...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Baby Strange" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > >

> > I'll second that...
> > Fat really is over-rated.

> I still eat lots of fat--I'm in my second week back on OWL right now,
> looking to lose the last 20 pounds, and get about 60-65% of my calories
> from it--but I don't often eat something that's just a big fat-bomb,
> containing realtively little nutrient value in exchange for all those
> calories. I don't go out of my way to avoid fat, but I don't slather
> butter or mayonnaise on everything, either. I measure out salad
> dressings, and I don't eat huge amounts of cheese. I do pay attention
> to calories, and try to avoid "empty" calories whenever possible.
>
> I think what screws many people up when they try Atkins is that they
> latch onto the idea that they can eat all kinds of high-fat foods
> normally forbidden on diets. In doing so, they lose sight of the fact
> that Atkins *encourages* eating a lot more fresh vegetables. I see this
> a lot with people who weren't veggie-eaters before trying Atkins, or
> who say they dislike vegetables (corn and potatoes usually excepted).

What's interesting to me is that I never used to like vegetables much,
whenever I tried low-fat diets and tried to fill up on steamed veggies.
So when I first got serious about low-carb, I did indeed eat a lot of
meat and cheese. But I started really _craving_ vegetables. And all
of a sudden, without having my tastebuds all messed up from sugary
treats, vegetables actually started to taste quite good! Fresh spinach
salads are sweet, even without sweet dressing. And I do have to also
add, for the sake of honesty, that broccoli, while quite good steamed
with a little butter and salt, is positively a decadent treat for me now
with melted cheese on it as well.

In article <[email protected]>,
Saffire <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
> says...
> > snort, I guess that's true ( and obvious if I really think about it)
> > "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > That's how you got fat in the first place.

> Norma, I recommend ignoring JC. He's the resident troll and he insults
> EVERYONE. It's what he does. Responding to him just makes him feel
> special. He's been uncharacteristically quiet for a while (I'm guessing
> he forgot he wasn't on-line and started talking to people face-to-face
> the way he talks to people here and someone finally beat the **** out of
> him, putting him in a coma for a while).

Seems like Norma did just fine with JC. She didn't choose to be
insulted, so he can't insult her. She's insult-proof, so she doesn't
have to worry about talking to JC or anyone else if she wants to.

I bet you're not lazy. Just none of those exercise equipment things
were a good fit for you and your preferences. The best exercise is
something that is fun for you. Most of those things advertised on tv
are all "Just 20 minutes a day!" or whatever, but that pretty much says
to me "Using this equipment really sucks and is boring, so you only have
to do it for a little while." There are so many fun things we can do
for exercise (like your dancing) so why in the world would anyone ever
choose something that's not fun? What's the point? I don't get it.
Keep on dancing.

In article <[email protected]>,
"ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote:

> Roger I think my hubby would kill me if I went and bought one of those! LOL
> I've have several pieces of equipment over the years. But I've never been
> able to make myself stick with any of them :-( just lazy at heart)
> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ddgm wrote:
> > :: sorry Roger, what is a 'Swiss ball'?
> >
> > http://www.stretchnow.com.au/training/fitball.htm
> >
> > Just one of many from google.

On 15 Mar 2006 11:39:50 -0800, "Baby Strange"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, while I don't know how much heavy cream Norma's using on the
>cereal, I do know that it's whoppingly high in calories. A quarter-cup
>of heavy cream is 205 calories. One cup of Special K is 115 calories.
>That's a 320-calorie snack. Worse, it has roughly 24g of carbs (net!)
>and *less than one gram* of fiber.

Special K comes in different flavours now. If she's eating Special K
with Soy, it has 210 calories per 1 cup serving. And 40 grams of
carbs. It does have a moderately better 5 grams of fiber, though.

Jo Anne

Thank you Baby Strange, all good advice and I appreciate it. Tomorrow, I
start again in earnest!
news:[email protected]...