on Atkins, but...

> Norma, I recommend ignoring JC. He's the resident troll and he insults
> EVERYONE. It's what he does. Responding to him just makes him feel
> special. He's been uncharacteristically quiet for a while (I'm guessing
> he forgot he wasn't on-line and started talking to people face-to-face
> the way he talks to people here and someone finally beat the **** out of
> him, putting him in a coma for a while).
>
> --

You could help by not quoting him in your posts. Otherwise, I wouldn't see
his rants at all....

Pat in TX

In article <[email protected]>,
"JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > *****.
> >

> Calling out for that which you cannot obtain, again?

<snork> You'd not believe the number of offers I've gotten off of
Austin.singles. ;-) And that's with a photograph.

Jealous???????
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Norma" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm hoping you can help here. I've been trying to follow it fairly
> closely. I'm between 20 and 30 grams of carbs daily. I've found that high
> protein, low carb helps me with my hiatus hernia, and I am almost migraine
> free. I've never lost any weight, but I stay with it because of the above
> benefits. I could stand to lose abut 20 lbs, but maybe I'm just not
> following it closely enough. I have the book. and I tend to eat a lot of
> eggs, and meat, and green salad. No starches, and very little sweetener.
> Any suggestions on how to kick start? Thanks
>
> ddgm

Exercise and try counting calories. I estimate calories and so far it works
pretty well.

"ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Saffire,
> I just checked the label on the bottle of dressing - 3g sugars.

I find any amount of sugar is a huge problem, just the taste of it increases
your appetite. Plus coleslaw is made with very starchy vegetables... the
carrots at least.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ddgm wrote:
>
>> -a bowl of special K for a snack, (with cream)

> According to the Special K web site, one serving of Special K has 22
> grams of carbohydrate.

You gotta love some of these posts huh? "I'm doing Atkins but I'm eating 4
snickers bars a day, plus a bottle of Coke and I can't seem to lose any
weight!"

"Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, ddgm@sympatico
> says...
>> cheez, I never thought of measuring the serving. and you are right, that
>> is
>> too much isn't it? That clinches it, no more special K.

> You need to get into the habit of measuring EVERYTHING, one way or
> another. I usually WEIGH most things because things fit into cup
> measures differently, depending on their shape, whereas grams or ounces
> are the same regardless of the shape the item is. Of course, something
> as light as puffy cereal can be a little flaky in the weighing dept.
>
> Always read the labels on packaged foods and check for what THEY
> consider to be a "serving". You'd be AMAZED at how small their servings
> usually are. What you consider a serving might actually be 2-3 servings
> as far as the nutritional panel goes. Also, even if they portion it out
> somehow within the packaging, they may not be portioning it to match the
> stated serving size. A Scharffen-Berger 99% (baking) chocolate bar says
> it has SEVEN "servings", but the long, solid bar is scored into only
> FIVE blocks, so I had to figure it out by the grams.

It's not a bad idea, although you don't have to do this. Personally I just
assume everything has more carbs than it says or I'm eating a larger serving
size and adjust my diet accordingly. Works like a charm.

Saffire wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: ddgm@sympatico says...
::: cheez, I never thought of measuring the serving. and you are right,
::: that is too much isn't it? That clinches it, no more special K.
::
[...]

I find this practice most frustrating and even dishonest for something like
a scored bar. Serving sizes should always be practical measure, IMO.

::
:: --
:: Saffire
:: 205/133/125
:: Atkins since 6/14/03
:: Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333
::
:: *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its
:: appearance in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

Joe the Aroma wrote:
:: "ddgm" <ddgm@sympatico,.ca> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::: Hi Saffire,
::: I just checked the label on the bottle of dressing - 3g sugars.
::
::
:: I find any amount of sugar is a huge problem, just the taste of it
:: increases your appetite. Plus coleslaw is made with very starchy
:: vegetables... the carrots at least.

Actually, typical not many calories or carbs from the tiny amount of carbs
in carrots. Added sugar can be a problem, though.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

:: <snork> You'd not believe the number of offers I've gotten off of
:: Austin.singles. ;-) And that's with a photograph.

Got links? :)

Joe the Aroma wrote:

:: You gotta love some of these posts huh? "I'm doing Atkins but I'm
:: eating 4 snickers bars a day, plus a bottle of Coke and I can't seem
:: to lose any weight!"

That's why our work is never done.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> :: <snork> You'd not believe the number of offers I've gotten off of
> :: Austin.singles. ;-) And that's with a photograph.
>
> Got links? :)

Heh! I do, but It is fully dressed... <G>

I'm still not quite ready to post "before" and "after" pics.
I have a ways to go. <sigh>

I am serious tho'. There are a number of nice men that don't mind a
"rubenesque" woman.
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
::
::: OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
:::
::::: <snork> You'd not believe the number of offers I've gotten off of
::::: Austin.singles. ;-) And that's with a photograph.
:::
::: Got links? :)
:::
:::
::
:: Heh! I do, but It is fully dressed... <G>

No probs...

::
:: I'm still not quite ready to post "before" and "after" pics.
:: I have a ways to go. <sigh>

I understand.

::
:: I am serious tho'. There are a number of nice men that don't mind a
:: "rubenesque" woman.

No question. Brains and nice personality are more important, especially
later down the road.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> :: In article <[email protected]>,
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::
> ::: OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> :::
> ::::: <snork> You'd not believe the number of offers I've gotten off of
> ::::: Austin.singles. ;-) And that's with a photograph.
> :::
> ::: Got links? :)
> :::
> :::
> ::
> :: Heh! I do, but It is fully dressed... <G>
>
> No probs...
>
> ::
> :: I'm still not quite ready to post "before" and "after" pics.
> :: I have a ways to go. <sigh>
>
> I understand.
>
> ::
> :: I am serious tho'. There are a number of nice men that don't mind a
> :: "rubenesque" woman.
>
> No question. Brains and nice personality are more important, especially
> later down the road.

Thank you! :) :) ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I have a ways to go. <sigh>
> >

> You don't say.
>

> It must be T3.

Yep...
It's the sequal to T2.

Arnold is a great role model.

Thanks for understanding!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

> You could help by not quoting him in your posts. Otherwise, I wouldn't see
> his rants at all....

Oops, that's usually what *I* say :) Sorry about that. He's been gone
for a while, so I've been out of practice.

--
Saffire
205/136/125

Susan wrote:

> I not only didn't lose weight when I tried Atkins, I gained 20lbs and
> slowed my metabolism terribly, due to the lowering of my active T3
> hormone on induction levels. This hormonal effect happens with
> ketogenic and also with very low calorie diets, both cause the body to
> downregulate metabolism.

There are studies hat show that going low enough in carbs
causes T3 to start falling after 2 weeks. Funny how the
directions state that OWL starts on day 15, that Induction
is very low in carbs, and OWL moves back up in carbs.
It adds up nicely as the standard process being designed
to handle T3 issues. Yet another reason to move on to OWL
on schedule.

> I lose better on about 50-60 net carbs per day, but now have to keep
> calories low and fat more moderate than before I tried Atkins.

The point of OWL is that each person has a carb level that
gives them their best loss and that the initial 20 is only an
undershoot to get nearly everyone into ketosis.

norma wrote:
> Thank you Baby Strange, all good advice and I appreciate it. Tomorrow, I
> start again in earnest!

You're welcome! Best of luck to you--let us know how it goes!