On flat tires

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Ok so I was riding today and got a flat when I hit a break in the road. I pulled over and started changing the tire, but I couldn't get the tire off the rim. It's a new wheel and apparently a little bigger than my old one. Now I was in a little bit of a pickle because I had no apparent way to get the tire off to put on a new tube. Then the idea hit me, qr levers are blunt levers. With the help of my qr levers I was able to fix my tire and ride home. Just some advice in case someone else lands unfortunately in the same position... I'm buying tire levers when I buy some more tubes.

With a little practice you can learn to roll the tires off and on with your thumb and fingers. I have been doing this for many years, it saves on "snake bites", plus elminates carrying additional tools. Put one bead on the wheel first, inflate tube just so it has a little form, put under tire and roll on with thumb and fingers. The last few inches is tough, but with practice comes success, and stronger fingers.

Originally posted by systecsol
With a little practice you can learn to roll the tires off and on with your thumb and fingers. I have been doing this for many years, it saves on "snake bites", plus elminates carrying additional tools. Put one bead on the wheel first, inflate tube just so it has a little form, put under tire and roll on with thumb and fingers. The last few inches is tough, but with practice comes success, and stronger fingers.

Yeah, I do this too but it doesn't always work. It depends a lot of your particular combination of rim and tire. Some tires fit so tightly that you're sure you won't be able to even put air into them. Best to at least do a trial while at home before hitting the road or trail without access to a set of levers.

:)

Yeah, I'm also a rock climber so I can quite confidently say it's not from lack of finger strength. I had always used that method with my old rims and never had any problems. It's definately the way to go if possible.

hi, i have been trying to find the soundtrack of american flyers.i have just found out that you can't get on cd.is there anybody out there got it on mp3 file.if so could you contact me please.
email me at [email protected]

Originally posted by brianmc30
hi, i have been trying to find the soundtrack of american flyers.i have just found out that you can't get on cd.is there anybody out there got it on mp3 file.if so could you contact me please.
email me at [email protected]

Hmmm, I guess I never really thought about using a CD as a tire lever. Does that work?

;)

Yes but why didn´t you have tyre levers with you ? it´s like not having patches or a pump - no weight but vital , like a multi tool .

Even with tyre leavers it can be difficult if its cold out and the tyres are new. Try a little spit on the edge of the tyre (eeeugh!!!).

Originally posted by hwttdz
Ok so I was riding today and got a flat when I hit a break in the road. I pulled over and started changing the tire, but I couldn't get the tire off the rim.

I hate getting a flat tyre, it's a real drag, especially as I am doing most of my cycling at night after work (roll on the light summer nights!). It normally involves me having to redirect the beams from my Cateye ABS25 onto the tyre in order to see what I am doing.

I have a set of plastic tyre levers because the metal ones run the risk of deforming the rim slightly, thereby making braking more hazardous. I always make sure that the inner tubes are well powdered because this seems to minimise the chances of them getting pinched between the tyre bead and rim.

I have to agree with the "roll on" method for getting your tyre back onto the wheel. When the tyre is very cold there is hardly any flexibility and so it can be really difficult to put back, but persevere. Using the tyre levers as little as possible should extend the life of your rims a bit ;)

Originally posted by hwttdz
Ok so I was riding today and got a flat when I hit a break in the road. I pulled over and started changing the tire, but I couldn't get the tire off the rim. It's a new wheel and apparently a little bigger than my old one. Now I was in a little bit of a pickle because I had no apparent way to get the tire off to put on a new tube. Then the idea hit me, qr levers are blunt levers. With the help of my qr levers I was able to fix my tire and ride home. Just some advice in case someone else lands unfortunately in the same position... I'm buying tire levers when I buy some more tubes.

My 2...OMG THERE'S NO CENT SIGHN ON MY KEYBOARD! JK.
I know in some circles this is unheard of, but I use tuffy strips in the tires of all my bikes. It won't prevent all flatting but it cuts down on a major amount of them. If your a weight concious rider you can get them in kevlar also.
BQ

Originally posted by bryanquinn
My 2...OMG THERE'S NO CENT SIGHN ON MY KEYBOARD! JK.
I know in some circles this is unheard of, but I use tuffy strips in the tires of all my bikes. It won't prevent all flatting but it cuts down on a major amount of them. If your a weight concious rider you can get them in kevlar also.
BQ

I've used Hutchinson tyres before and they have a kevlar insert. The only problem is that with hard riding I was amazed to see that they tyre separate from the kevlar insert - not good.

Try using using some of these : slime They are heavier than the average tube, but are supposed to help "puncture protect" your ride :)