on Lance and bents

Richard Ryan

Guest
I was at Interbike the year that Trek brought out their recumbent. Lance was at the Trek booth
signing autographs, there were hundreds of worshippers lined up all day. The recumbent was leaning
up against a wall with no information about the bike displayed and no one at the booth seemed
interested in talking about the bike. Some of you have read my rants in the past about the attitudes
of people in the bike industry. I'd say nothing has changed and probably never will. The .003% of
cyclists who race (and who all work in bike shops) still have an influence on the bike industry that
is way out of proportion to their numbers. **** Ryan

"richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in news:gaP%9.167169$AV4.4310@sccrnsc01:

>Some of you have read my rants in the past about the attitudes of people in the bike industry. I'd
>say nothing has changed and probably never will. The .003% of cyclists who race (and who all work
>in bike shops) still have an influence on the bike industry that is way out of proportion to their
>numbers. **** Ryan

Much like finance, government, hollywood, etc.

Fact is, the industry will build what the people want and the people want DFs.

Gene

Eugene Cottrell wrote:
> Fact is, the industry will build what the people want and the people want DFs.

If industry built what people wanted, there would be no need for salesmen.

"Wrong!" said the (technical) sales guy.

"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Eugene Cottrell wrote:
> > Fact is, the industry will build what the people want and the people
want
> > DFs.
>
> If industry built what people wanted, there would be no need for salesmen.

If industry built what people really wanted we'd all have Stepford wives.....I will now duck in case
BethF reads this.
---------------
"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Eugene Cottrell wrote:
> > Fact is, the industry will build what the people want and the people
want
> > DFs.
>
> If industry built what people wanted, there would be no need for salesmen.

It's a fad-driven business, and always was. One thing that drew me to recumbents in the first place
was that "fringe" thing. I guess if I'm honest, I have to say I like it that way. When everyone is
riding recumbents I'll be wanting to move on to something else. I have no real desire to convert
anyone except a couple of friends I ride with, and that's been accomplished. Doesn't bother me when
I get passed by 5 kids all dressed like Lance and riding Post Office bikes.

jim h wrote:
> It's a fad-driven business, and always was. One thing that drew me to recumbents in the first
> place was that "fringe" thing. I guess if I'm honest, I have to say I like it that way. When
> everyone is riding recumbents I'll be wanting to move on to something else. I have no real desire
> to convert anyone except a couple of friends I ride with, and that's been accomplished. Doesn't
> bother me when I get passed by 5 kids all dressed like Lance and riding Post Office bikes.

Aw, why'd you let those guys pass you? Now they'll get cocky and think they're bad to the bone, and
somebody'll have to take them down a notch. Wait, that sounds like fun! :) Thanks!

"Eugene Cottrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:vTW%[email protected]...
> Fact is, the industry will build what the people want and the people want DFs.
>
> Gene

Fact is, most people are unaware of recumbents, and the major reason for that is the attitudes of
the people in the industry. As demonstrated by the "Lance" article. The few shops that understand
the product and promote them are doing well with them. The example I always give is the success of
Wheel & Sprocket in Milwaukee. Last year they sold about 800 recumbents. I'd say that is a good
indication that when people are aware that there is an alternative to the DF bike they will want it.

**** Ryan

Richand Ryan says: "Fact is, most people are unaware of recumbents"

Isn't that the truth!!. I feel like the local distributor of happiness when I ride my Speed Machine
Clone. At least one out of 4 cars has a big reaction. Ear to ear grins of disbelief are common.
That's why I got bent in the first place. Speed is a bit overrated on a bent (IMHO) . Comfort is
there, at least compared to the problems on a conventional DF bike. There are drawbacks involved in
ease of riding (startup, visibility, slowspeed maneuverablity)

BUT, as Andre says "Image is everything!" We gots image.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

Wrong how? My point is not to bash salespeople. My point is that without salespeople, people will be
unaware of what is out there.

The allegation was made that the industry builds what people want. My point is that there are things
out there that the people are ignorant of. One purpose of sales people is to inform the public about
things that are out there that will be beneficial that they might not yet be aware of. No?

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It's a fad-driven business, and always was. One thing that drew me to recumbents in the first
> place was that "fringe" thing. I guess if I'm honest, I have to say I like it that way. When
> everyone is riding recumbents I'll be wanting to move on to something else. I have no real desire
> to convert anyone except a couple of friends I ride with, and that's been accomplished. Doesn't
> bother me when I get passed by 5 kids all dressed like Lance and riding Post Office bikes.

Because of back problems recumbents were my only option if I wanted to continue riding. But I also
agree with Jim that there is a certain element to being part of a select or different group. But,
with all due respect to the commentors like **** Ryan, pushing recumbents sometimes reminds me of
trying to feed steak to a suckling infant. I can tout the bikes all I want but the people who have
expressed real interest in what I ride are drawn not so much from what I say but their observations
of my riding experience. When I am faced with the glazed over, non-comprehending and "follow the
leader" type upright rider groups who haven't a clue about what I ride nor have they an interest I
always think of Mark Twain's quote (I paraphrase): "If you can get the fools on your side you will
have a majority with you whereever you go." So, until the epiphany of the DF crowd I will enjoy what
I ride and remain part of a small, but noticeable, and every growing pain-free sub-culture.

BIG mistake, Beth. You soon will be told. And THEN you will be ******.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

> Joshua, you are lucky I dont' know what a Stepford wife is.

Robert, assuming I am spelling "Stepford" correctly, anyone can use a search engine and look it up.
As for BethF...am not that worried her being in Alaska and my being NOT in Alaska. I remember
getting the Stepford Wives on Video a few years ago and making the comment to my wife that...gee
Hon, wouldn't it be great if technology really was that advanced that every man could have the
perfect made to order wife. Funny thing about my wife is that she doesn't get it at the time, she
smiles and nothing bothers her...then several hours or days later (she gets
it) and then I get it. It is like a light bulb goes on, followed by the line...Now I get it...you
*******. I've been married 35 years and found the secret to keeping a marriage working is to
Agree with (everything) my wife says...even when I have no idea what she is talking about.
-------
"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> BIG mistake, Beth. You soon will be told. And THEN you will be ******.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush
>
> > Joshua, you are lucky I dont' know what a Stepford wife is.
> >

>> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote

>> I've been married 35 years and found the secret to keeping a marriage
working is to Agree with (everything) my wife says...even when I have no idea what she is
talking about.

You sometimes know what she's talking about. I am impressed.

Out of apparently nowhere, mine would get thoroughly ******, clench her teeth and say nothing. When
I asked her what she was angry about she'd glare at me, then snap back: "If you don't know you're
even worse than I thought."

> > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

Joshua...

> If industry built what people really wanted we'd all have Stepford wives

I know that you were joking (I think) so I don't know why that statement bugs me. I guess it is that
I feel I am being classed with the slobs on the corner that have the big leer and 'elevator eyes'
yelling, "Yousuh! Yousuh! Look at them jugs!" every time a mature female walks by. I feel like they
think all men are in the same club and they were elected president.

I think the Stepford men hadn't the courage to be *men*. They were frightened to death of each
other, of peer pressure and of confident capable women. I really don't see myself in that role.

In my years of observing women, the human race and myself I have come to some rather cynical
conclusions about all of them. But I find that while I cannot remake myself I can aspire to
goals/behaviour I respect. Yeah, I have to pick myself up and aspire some more lots of times but I,
and many many more guys are dedicated to getting it right as often as possible.

I know you know that.. I think it's the strong Chamomile tea I am finishing. Look quick, because you
will seldom see me in a serious mood.

This may or may not have any connection at all with the topic of discussion.
:)

Tis Strange the effect I'm having on people lately. As for my own years of observing women, the
human race and myself...I came to the conclusion long ago that everyone is F..king Nuts and I'm the
only sane one in the lot...no wait, I may have got that backwards. As for your aspirations to
achieve a state of being someone who is closer to the ideals you respect. It all sounds too
complicated for me to try. My few remaining aspirations include finding the "perfect" mountain with
a brothel on top and a nicely paved road that goes for miles and miles and I don't have a Greyhound
Bus on my tail. To be strapped into a 1978 MASA Slingshot (which is of course the perfect tadpole)
or I find Tom Sherman's Dragonflyer re-orphaned, lost and abandoned...now where did I leave those
bolt cutters. After this ride I will retire to the Pacific side of Costa Rica and live next to a
brothel and a Brew Pub. Oh yeah and of course I still intend to cross Saskatchewan strapped into a
Twin Jet Low Racer...just have to locate the perfect 200 mile stretch of flat highway with a
brothel at starting point. Come to think of it...the person I aspired to be most like years ago was
"Betti Page", just could not keep my seams straight and those friggin garter belts kept riding up.
Then I moved to British Columbia Canada to become a Lumberjack...(space left open
here................for Mikael to do the chorus). Seriously though, after a particularly bad
incident in another country when I was 19. I adopted a non-violent Buddhist lifestyle for quite a
while and did the whole...aspire to be a better human being routine and much of who and what I am
today is a result of my flirtation with Buddhism...so be warned people, you flirt with Buddhism and
you too can end up just like
me...be afraid, be very afraid.
--------------
"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Joshua...
>
> > If industry built what people really wanted we'd all have Stepford wives
>
> I know that you were joking (I think) so I don't know why that statement bugs me. I guess it is
> that I feel I am being classed with the slobs on the corner that have the big leer and 'elevator
> eyes' yelling, "Yousuh! Yousuh! Look at them jugs!" every time a mature female walks by. I feel
> like they think all men are in the same club and they were elected president.
>
> I think the Stepford men hadn't the courage to be *men*. They were frightened to death of each
> other, of peer pressure and of confident capable women. I really don't see myself in that role.
>
> In my years of observing women, the human race and myself I have come to some rather cynical
> conclusions about all of them. But I find that while I cannot remake myself I can aspire to
> goals/behaviour I respect. Yeah, I have to pick myself up and aspire some more lots of times but
> I, and many many more guys are dedicated to getting it right as often as possible.
>
> I know you know that.. I think it's the strong Chamomile tea I am finishing. Look quick, because
> you will seldom see me in a serious mood.
>
> This may or may not have any connection at all with the topic of discussion.
> :)

> I came to the conclusion long ago that everyone is F..king Nuts and I'm the only sane one
> in the lot

Wow! You wrote a lot! And all about brothels too..

You realize, as do alla the guys on here, that I wuz just trying to score some points with Beth.
How'd I do, Beth? Guess I didn't do so good. Either she didn't bother to read it or it was so dang
obvious she just ignored it. Or maybe its cuz she's a lady and we haven't been introduced...

****:

Design an event that's a good spectator sport, lends itself to endorsements and advertising, appeals
to youth, and uses recumbents. Preferably not *too* bloody, but bloody fast. That should do it.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.