On-One Inbred vs Orange P7 - thoughts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm looking for a good, robust all purpose steel bike for commutting, shopping and lugguage
    carrying, lots of rough country roads and trails and some light off-road cycling. Ideally I'd like
    at 48 toothed large chainring and something with rack mounts (mudguard mounts would be handy but not
    essential).

    One option is to custom build up from an On-One geared Inbred frame which would mean I could get
    just the spec. I want, the frame seems to fit the bill and has rack and mudguard mounts. The
    downside to this is that my mechanical skills are extremely limited and so I'd need to add in the
    cost of getting a mechanic to build it for me. Secondly there's the added cost of buying individual
    compontents retail which could mean extra expense compared to a stock bike.

    The other possibility that I like the look of is the Deore speced. rigid option Orange P7 which
    looks a good alround workhorse. The P7 has a 5 year guarantee compared to the Inbred's which is
    only 2 (this may not mean anything but it does add confidence). The downside with this is not being
    able to change specced. components so there'd be a compact chainset (although I probably wouldn't
    notice the differance between 44 and 48 teeth). The P7 doesn't have mudguard mounts but this isn't
    a major flaw.

    I was wondering what people thought about these two options or whether anyone else might have other
    suggestions. I'd be limited to about £700 max. as a budget (the P7 just squeaks in).

    I was also wondering whether anyone could tell me whether the P7 has rack mounts. It's spec. chart
    on Orange's web site say it has pannier eyelets but I don't know quite what this means, I've emailed
    Orange a couple of time but had no response.

    Thanks for any thoughts, Kind Regards Paul

    Tags:

  2. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The other possibility that I like the look of is the Deore speced. rigid option Orange P7 which
    > looks a good alround workhorse....... .......................The downside with this is not being
    > able to change specced. components so there'd be a compact chainset (although I probably wouldn't
    > notice the differance between 44 and 48 teeth). The P7 doesn't have mudguard mounts but this isn't
    > a major flaw.

    If you visited an Orange dealer, they might discuss the option of swapping the chainset to a ratio
    you preferred. Might find it is a no, or low-cost option at the dealer ?

    > I was also wondering whether anyone could tell me whether the P7 has rack mounts. It's spec. chart
    > on Orange's web site say it has pannier eyelets
    but
    > I don't know quite what this means, I've emailed Orange a couple of time
    but
    > had no response.

    The frame has tapped bosses in the following places: one (each side) near the drop-out one (each
    side) on the tube below the seat-post, before it splits to the two rear forks one (in centre) of
    tube above crown of rear forks. You can just make them out on the picture on the website.

    I find Orange respond to the telephone in normal business hours. However, I think they only sell
    through authorised dealers, so you'll need to go to a shop to buy.

    NC.

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:56:59 +0100, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a good, robust all purpose steel bike for commutting, shopping and lugguage
    >carrying, lots of rough country roads and trails and some light off-road cycling.

    >I was wondering what people thought about these two options or whether anyone else might have other
    >suggestions. I'd be limited to about £700 max. as a budget (the P7 just squeaks in).
    >
    >I was also wondering whether anyone could tell me whether the P7 has rack mounts. It's spec. chart
    >on Orange's web site say it has pannier eyelets but I don't know quite what this means, I've
    >emailed Orange a couple of time but had no response.

    Looking at the photo on the Orange website it looks like the rear has a single pannier/mudguard
    mount on the dropout. My old Clockwork had a threaded hole in the single tube at the top of the
    seatstays for the other mudguard/pannier fixing, looking at the P7 photo, it appears they still have
    this. As far as Orange build quality goes, they're top notch. I had a Clockwork for 6 years and
    raced it the entire time. Never had a problem with it other than me scratching the paintwork.

    Have you considered just buying the P7 frame? But it would swallow half your budget straight off.
    Another possibility, just on the frame, would be a 2002 Rock Lobster 853 frame from Merlin Cycles at
    the grand sum of 170 quid. I've just got one of these instead of a P7 and I'm very impressed. Light,
    flickable, responsive and quick. Dunno about strength yet as it's only been on the trail for a month
    of so but it's already taken some big hits without problem. Only issue for you would be it doesn't
    have any pannier or mudguard mounts so you'd have to find some other way of fixing them.

    In fact Merlin do a built bike around the 2003 version of the RL 853 frame for 699 with Marzocchi
    forks, a full Deore groupset and Easton trimmings.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks for the thoughts. It'll be a while yet before I buy so there's plenty of time for me to look
    around and compare options. The P7 is tempting though but the Inbred frame is also getting some
    great reviews.

    I have thought of just buying a frame (the On-One Inbred for example) but my mechanical skills are
    limited so I'd have to add in the cost of the build up. Also I guess that, due to mass marketing,
    the cost of buying components retail would be expensive compared with what I'd pay for them as part
    of a stock bike.

    Moving components across from my current bike would be an option but it's a £260 Dawes Chilliwack
    (don't get me wrong, it's an excellent bike for the money) so they're not top notch - Acera 8 speed
    drive and assorted unbranded odds n' sods which will need upgrading pretty soon. It might be better
    just to bite the bullet and get a fully built up bike.

    I'll check out the nearest Orange dealer and see whether an alternative chainset would be possible
    (a non-compact Deore 510 might be an option as it's 26/36/48).

    Thanks again for the thoughts,

    Kind Regards, Paul.

  5. feckless

    feckless New Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2003
    You could always take a look at the Kona Lava Dome. This has very similar geometry to the Inbred (like, almost identical), is a little lighter, has rack and mudguard mounts and costs about £600.

    It comes with a Marzocchi bouncy fork, but most dealers would swap that for a Kona P2 rigid fork if you asked nicely (you may even get some skinny road tyres and mudguards into the bargain, since the p2 fork is quite cheap).

    You get a mostly Deore groupset, with Mavic rims (actually pretty good) and Avid brakes.

    You'll only have a 44 tooth big ring up front, but that can always be changed later.

    Mat

  6. Steve R

    Steve R Guest

    Paul:
    > One option is to custom build up from an On-One geared Inbred frame which would mean I could get
    > just the spec. I want, the frame seems to fit the bill and has rack and mudguard mounts. The
    > downside to this is that my mechanical skills are extremely limited and so I'd need to add in the
    > cost of getting a mechanic to build it for me. Secondly there's the added cost of buying
    > individual compontents retail which could mean extra expense compared to a stock bike.

    Planet X/On One stuff is fine and will be cheaper than list with a frame. Ask directly and you may
    get a deal. You could beg to get anything you're particularly scared of, like the headset/BB,
    ready fitted.

    > The other possibility that I like the look of is the Deore speced. rigid option Orange P7 which
    > looks a good alround workhorse.

    Also a fine bike.

    > The P7 has a 5 year guarantee compared to the Inbred's which is only 2

    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I've seen Inbreds ridden pretty hard and never heard of a
    broken one. And remember you're dealing with the designer direct. Any genuine problems (within
    reason), he'll sort you out regardless of the small print.

    Steve

  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Yep, there's certainly plenty to think about. It'll be a while before I've pulled together enough
    cash to buy so there will be time to think.

    The Inbred certainly looks good and was top of the list until I looked at the P7, now things are a
    bit closer and the Kona Lava Dome has also been suggested. I agree that warantees aren't something
    to worry too much about but it's nice to feel that the manufacturers are confident enough in their
    product to give a long warantee period and it does give that extra little bit of reassurance.

    Being a bit limited in the mechanics department and, I suppose, the finer points of bikes in general
    there is also something reassuring about getting a bike sized correctly by, and having the backup
    of, an official dealer relatively locally which getting the Orange would provide (the nearest Orange
    dealer is about 20 mile away) that said On-One have been tops at answering queries via email, I
    haven't had a response from Orange yet.

    The P7 frame is more expensive than the Inbred but the rigid forks are cheaper. Frame and fork
    prices combined makes the prices pretty similar so I guess that specing an Inbred to a similar level
    to the P7 would make it more expensive.

    As I say, lots to think about (and a fair bit more saving to do also), I suppose the key factor for
    me would be the strength and longevity of a frame (it's a big investment for me) and this isn't
    really something that you can tell from the spec. sheets, I suppose the in this respect the Inbred
    or P7 would be pretty much the same.

    Anyway, many thanks for the input.

    Kind Regards, Paul