On taking risks

Most if not all studies show that bike paths are riskier than riding in the road where you have more visibility to motorist and you have the right of way.

Most of the roads I ride on are without shoulders. Those that have shoulders usually have lots of debris which makes it impractical to ride there. So I usually end up riding in the right-hand tire track. This position makes me highly visible to motorists, and establishes my right-of-way. I will move over for cars only if my safety is not compromised, which means that I am not moving onto an unsafe road surface or encouraging the cars to squeeze me.

The last time I rode on a shoulder, a car (properly) pulled off, well in front of me, to park at a garage sale. This left me without a clear forward path, and with a line of cars in the traffic lane for which I no longer had the right of way. I had to stop and wait for the cars to go by before I could continue. If I had been in the traffic lane where I belonged, the cars would have had to wait for ME, not the other way around.

I'm not a blogger and would rather not post to one.

blazingpedals said:
Most if not all studies show that bike paths are riskier than riding in the road where you have more visibility to motorist and you have the right of way.

Most of the roads I ride on are without shoulders. Those that have shoulders usually have lots of debris which makes it impractical to ride there. So I usually end up riding in the right-hand tire track. This position makes me highly visible to motorists, and establishes my right-of-way. I will move over for cars only if my safety is not compromised, which means that I am not moving onto an unsafe road surface or encouraging the cars to squeeze me.

The last time I rode on a shoulder, a car (properly) pulled off, well in front of me, to park at a garage sale. This left me without a clear forward path, and with a line of cars in the traffic lane for which I no longer had the right of way. I had to stop and wait for the cars to go by before I could continue. If I had been in the traffic lane where I belonged, the cars would have had to wait for ME, not the other way around.

I'm not a blogger and would rather not post to one.
I agree with you. I spend as much time in the traffic lane as I do in the bike lane. especially this time of year when all the leaves are falling and my lane is clogged up with debris. I haven't felt at risk all that much as long as I remember that I am the slowest vehicle on the road.

Thanks for your response.