On the bike after 5 weeks -- but....

Pinky

Guest
I tried my bike out about an hour ago. It is cold but bright and sunny and I
do need to get started with my spring training.
I thought I might be able to do a gentle 10 kms but sadly I found that I
couldn't cope with the aches and pains of my injuries -- admittedly hugely
reduced but still very uncomfortable under the minor stress caused by trying
to pedal my velo up hill. I turned round and coasted back home. Hopefully
another week will do it --- making the 6 weeks in all that the Doctors said
it would take! I suppose being that bit older also adds to the time needed
for repair!
I must admit to getting a bit depressed about this and I need to get out on
the bike to blow some of the accumulated mental debris away. By this time
last year I had well over 1600 kms on the clock! and my new bike has only
some 300 kms to date not having moved for 5 week virtually to the hour!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> the bike to blow some of the accumulated mental debris away. By this time
> last year I had well over 1600 kms on the clock! and my new bike has only
> some 300 kms to date not having moved for 5 week virtually to the hour!

Trevor,

I know the feeling! Cycling is so much a part of your life that not being
able to do it just feels wrong, and the unusual aches and pains don't help.

I well remember having written on my plaster by a very empathic friend "all
things must pass". They did. They will.

Just keep looking forward to those glorious days out on the bike, and don't
lose faith. You will do it!

in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I tried my bike out about an hour ago. It is cold but bright and sunny
> and I do need to get started with my spring training.
> I thought I might be able to do a gentle 10 kms but sadly I found that
> I couldn't cope with the aches and pains of my injuries -- admittedly
> hugely reduced but still very uncomfortable under the minor stress
> caused by trying to pedal my velo up hill.

As you'll remember, in October I broke my back, and I was off the bike
for 120 days. Last weekend I took part in a cyclo-cross race - not very
seriously, starting last and finishing _way_ last - but I did it. I've
just got in from a club run round the Red Route at Kirroughtree.

I bailed out about half way round because a friend was suffering from
stomach pains, and as I'm not that fit I was holding people back - but
even doing half the red route is not bad. It does come back. It comes
back remarkably quickly. My legs are good - muscle fitness came back
very quickly - but my heart and lungs aren't pumping enough oxygen yet.
I know you're a wee bit older than me, but I'm fifty. If I can do it,
you can.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.