On the bike after 5 weeks -- but....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pinky, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    I tried my bike out about an hour ago. It is cold but bright and sunny and I
    do need to get started with my spring training.
    I thought I might be able to do a gentle 10 kms but sadly I found that I
    couldn't cope with the aches and pains of my injuries -- admittedly hugely
    reduced but still very uncomfortable under the minor stress caused by trying
    to pedal my velo up hill. I turned round and coasted back home. Hopefully
    another week will do it --- making the 6 weeks in all that the Doctors said
    it would take! I suppose being that bit older also adds to the time needed
    for repair!
    I must admit to getting a bit depressed about this and I need to get out on
    the bike to blow some of the accumulated mental debris away. By this time
    last year I had well over 1600 kms on the clock! and my new bike has only
    some 300 kms to date not having moved for 5 week virtually to the hour!

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

    Tags:

  2. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > the bike to blow some of the accumulated mental debris away. By this time
    > last year I had well over 1600 kms on the clock! and my new bike has only
    > some 300 kms to date not having moved for 5 week virtually to the hour!

    Trevor,

    I know the feeling! Cycling is so much a part of your life that not being
    able to do it just feels wrong, and the unusual aches and pains don't help.

    I well remember having written on my plaster by a very empathic friend "all
    things must pass". They did. They will.

    Just keep looking forward to those glorious days out on the bike, and don't
    lose faith. You will do it!

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Pinky
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I tried my bike out about an hour ago. It is cold but bright and sunny
    > and I do need to get started with my spring training.
    > I thought I might be able to do a gentle 10 kms but sadly I found that
    > I couldn't cope with the aches and pains of my injuries -- admittedly
    > hugely reduced but still very uncomfortable under the minor stress
    > caused by trying to pedal my velo up hill.

    As you'll remember, in October I broke my back, and I was off the bike
    for 120 days. Last weekend I took part in a cyclo-cross race - not very
    seriously, starting last and finishing _way_ last - but I did it. I've
    just got in from a club run round the Red Route at Kirroughtree.

    I bailed out about half way round because a friend was suffering from
    stomach pains, and as I'm not that fit I was holding people back - but
    even doing half the red route is not bad. It does come back. It comes
    back remarkably quickly. My legs are good - muscle fitness came back
    very quickly - but my heart and lungs aren't pumping enough oxygen yet.
    I know you're a wee bit older than me, but I'm fifty. If I can do it,
    you can.

    ;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.