On the clipless pedals bandwagon..

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Jules, Nov 20, 2005.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".

    But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.

    WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego
    the 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.

    Been scouring ebay and the like, but haven't yet found anything that
    screams "bargain".

    I know this stuff wears out, too, (I ride daily) so the prices of this
    simple stuff seems all the more extortionate.

    Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands
    that do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy
    local ;-)

    Thanks
    Jules

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Jules wrote:
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >
    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego
    > the 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.

    You can buy crap clipless pedals for not much. Want a GVBR bike to go
    with it?
    google away ...

  3. dej

    dej Guest

    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Jules

    i use these shoes for commuting / wearing at work..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LAKE-LX60-L...28333QQcategoryZ22686QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

    i think they were $48aussie after postage and currency conversion..
    you should be able to buy some double sided spd's from probikekit fairly
    cheap as well.
    It may cost about $110 for the lot?
    Those shoes are comfee enough to wear all day and the cleats only hit the
    ground when you walk in gravel etc..

  4. Hey Jules,

    I was in Rebel Sport (up in Brisbane - I assume that they price
    nationally though...??) - and they still have their "Go-on" cycling
    shoes on a pretty good special (about $100 for carbon-soled).

    I bought a pair a few months ago. I obviously can't comment on their
    longevity yet, but they are going well so far!!

    I bought a set of Exus pedals (Look compats) about 12 years ago. They
    are certainly not *bling*, and are probably pretty heavy compared to
    current models, but apart from a few scratches they are still going
    strong. So you could probably count the pedals as a one-off cost!!

    Good luck!!
    Abby

  5. On 2005-11-20, Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.

    That's about right, yes ...

    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego
    > the 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.

    Consider, though, how long these things are expected to last. I'm about
    to replace my ancient shoes -- they date back to around '96 or '97 --
    and I'll get a couple of sets of pedals whilst I'm at it, just so that
    the pedals on both my bikes match.

    If you want to snarf my old pedal set, you're welcome to; the cleats are
    a bit old and grungy, but they're still good. You'll have to get
    appropriate shoes, though; no sane person would pay money for my old
    shoes. I'll probably be buying in a week or two (probably Friday week.)

  6. Jules

    Jules Guest

    > You can buy crap clipless pedals for not much. Want a GVBR bike to go
    > with it?

    Cool, that's the answer I was looking for. Where? How much?

    > google away ...

    Yeah... er... tried that.

  7. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Jules wrote:
    > > You can buy crap clipless pedals for not much. Want a GVBR bike to go
    > > with it?

    > Cool, that's the answer I was looking for. Where? How much?

    The cheapest shoes I've seen that will take cleats are around $100 -
    but I didn't look all that hard. Lake have some cheap SPD compatible
    shoes.

    Cleats ... BBB make some*, as do a few others (WP? I can't remember?)
    that are very similar to SPDs and cheaper. It may be worthwhile
    looking for secondhand ones or old stock clearouts - eg my LBS is
    flogging off cheap old Lake shoes - I can't tell you what they're worth
    off the top of my head, but you may get a cheap pair of reasonably good
    shoes. I think I've seen basic SPD-like pedals & cleats for ~$80.
    Second hand SPD cleats & pedals may be easier to find than you think,
    too.

    * that's not true, BBB don't make anything. They brand things. I have
    no idea who makes BBB components - like Nike ... they just put their
    stickers on anonymous components and sell them hard.

  8. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:19:14 +1100, Jules wrote:

    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around
    > $90.

    Pedals @ $73
    http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=1451

    Shoes <$100
    http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=1394

    http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=3089

    As has been said elsewhere in the thread, these things last a long time,
    and the better ones last longer. You can get in for sub $200 here, but
    consider jumping another few dollars for the shoes.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's

  9. On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:19:14 +1100, Jules wrote:

    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.

    I paid $120 for Shimano's road-style SPD shoes, and I've seen SPD pedals
    that people say they only paid about $30 for. They don't spin very freely,
    though, so I'd recommend Shimano's for around the price you mention.

    Because SPD cleats are metal and protected by being recessed, they
    last ages. The initial expense is definitely worth it, and the ongoing is
    minimal.

  10. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Jules wrote:

    > Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands
    > that do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy
    > local ;-)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jules

    Have a look at http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/ under Lake shoes.
    They do a MTB shoe/SPD pedal combo for $150.

    DaveB

  11. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Even amongst the shimanos there is quality difference, my 324s lasted way longer than the older, cheaper pair.

    till

  12. jim

    jim Guest

    Import them from any number of the uk online retailers? lots with runouts /
    end of season sales etc

    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >
    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego the
    > 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.
    >
    > Been scouring ebay and the like, but haven't yet found anything that
    > screams "bargain".
    >
    > I know this stuff wears out, too, (I ride daily) so the prices of this
    > simple stuff seems all the more extortionate.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands that
    > do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy local ;-)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jules

  13. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.

    Jules, check this NZ mob out.....they do pretty good prices ($92 for shoes
    and pedals) and they only charge $9 for delivery to Aust for orders under
    $300. My last order was delivered in about 4 days or so.

    http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/PROD/shoes_mtb-apparel/MEXCOM-1

    Ride On,

    Gags

  14. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >
    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego the
    > 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.
    >
    > Been scouring ebay and the like, but haven't yet found anything that
    > screams "bargain".
    >
    > I know this stuff wears out, too, (I ride daily) so the prices of this
    > simple stuff seems all the more extortionate.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands that
    > do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy local ;-)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jules

    I picked up a pair of Shimano branded SPD pedals and cleats from gemma k for
    $43. They're out there.

  15. Steve

    Steve Guest

    You have to look a bit harder ,
    Wellgo Spd pedals are currently dirt cheap now $49( including the cleats
    :) ) mainly due to the fact that the Malaysian-made Shimano pedals have
    come down in price. You can always ring us up , pay us & I can send them
    Australiawide. 08 93377670 (W.S.T.!!! -3hrs)
    Steve
    IDEAL Cycles

  16. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You have to look a bit harder ,
    > Wellgo Spd pedals are currently dirt cheap now $49( including the cleats
    > :) ) mainly due to the fact that the Malaysian-made Shimano pedals have
    > come down in price. You can always ring us up , pay us & I can send them
    > Australiawide. 08 93377670 (W.S.T.!!! -3hrs)
    > Steve
    > IDEAL Cycles

    I paid less for genuine Shimano pedals and cleats, including shipping. Why
    should I have looked harder?

  17. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >
    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego
    > the 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.
    >
    > Been scouring ebay and the like, but haven't yet found anything that
    > screams "bargain".
    >
    > I know this stuff wears out, too, (I ride daily) so the prices of this
    > simple stuff seems all the more extortionate.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands
    > that do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy
    > local ;-)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jules

    MTB or road? What shoe size are you? I ask because I have some shoes (brand
    new), SPD 535s and cleats (used) I'm happy to sell (MTB stuff) since I've
    switched to Time pedals on all my bikes.

    Give me a hoy if you're interested... pangloss(at)iinet.net.au I'm in Perth.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  18. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > I paid less for genuine Shimano pedals and cleats, including shipping. Why
    > should I have looked harder?

    Was actually replying to the top post rather than yours.
    But as you were asking , its a name thing rather than a quality issue , one
    is made in Taiwan ...the other in Malaysia . In that case I know which
    country I'd be wanting my money going to !

  19. jim

    jim Guest

    ....and on a related matter I've just upgraded my bike and along with it a
    shift from ultegra to keo pedals. I am keeping the old bike for dodgy
    weather etc. I don't want to keep switching cleats over and am looking for
    some cheap road shoes. Any directions?

    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Having been a regular, unattached pedal cyclist for a lot of years now,
    > I'm more and more regularly aching to be "clipped-in".
    >
    > But I'm also a cheap-arse, and am mighty unimpressed that shoes seem to
    > start at $150 and Shimano SPD clipless pedal thingies start at around $90.
    >
    > WTF? You can buy (crap, sure) bikes for that money. I could also rego the
    > 50cc scooter in the shed for less than that.
    >
    > Been scouring ebay and the like, but haven't yet found anything that
    > screams "bargain".
    >
    > I know this stuff wears out, too, (I ride daily) so the prices of this
    > simple stuff seems all the more extortionate.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I should buy them? Any cheap Chinese brands that
    > do the job? I'm a net exporter, so I don't feel the need to buy local ;-)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jules

  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > But as you were asking , its a name thing rather than a quality issue
    > , one is made in Taiwan ...the other in Malaysia . In that case I know
    > which country I'd be wanting my money going to !

    Well, don't keep us in suspense. Which?

    Theo