on the counter

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by readandpostrosie, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Tags:

  2. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:34:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    readandpostrosie?

    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Almost all fruits except grapes and cherries. As far as veggies, winter
    squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:%[email protected]:

    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    I put all fruits in a big fruit bowl on the table. I'll put peaches (if
    ripe), grapes, cherries and sometimes pears (if ripe) in the fridge.
    Lessee, tangerines, oranges and apples are left on the table also.

    Vegetables are a toss up according to season.

    None of it lasts long around here.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  4. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]
    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Bananas

    Canteloupe & Honeydew melons, until they're ripe.

    Mangos & kiwis, until they're ripe.

    Pineapples, until they're ripe

    Oranges, but just one or two at a time, because sometimes they taste better
    at room temperature.

    Tomatoes, until they're ripe.

  5. -L.

    -L. Guest

    readandpostrosie wrote:
    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, winter squash, citrus, melons,
    apples, pears, bananas, pineapples, probably more I can't think of...

    -L.

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    readandpostrosie wrote:

    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    I'm assuming you mean fresh and it depends on what's in season. Fresh
    produce from the garden is left in a huge wicker basket until needed or
    processed if need be. The only veggie from the garden that I would put
    in the crisper is excess cucumber. Lettuces are picked as needed and
    stood cut end down in a bowl of water until serving. I do the same with
    a lot of the fresh herbs too. Store bought produce in the off season
    tends to be put in the fridge with the exception of tomatoes or
    something like zucchini that is going to be used that night. Tomatoes
    go into a basket sitting on a stove burner. Fruit basket left on the
    counter or table - apples, bananas, pears, grapes. Another basket holds
    citrus but sometimes I put some in the crisper too. I also have baskets
    for potatoes, onions, and squashes in the kitchen. Garlic is kept in a
    clay garlic keeper on the counter. Fresh ginger goes in a small produce
    catch all basket. Horseradish root goes in there too when I can find
    it. I have a container of bean sprouts on the go most of the time but
    that is kept in a cupboard. Melons are normally put in the fridge but
    most berries aren't.

    PS. I have so many fruit and veggies baskets out and not just on the
    counter so I've included them. I think that should give you a good idea
    of what we leave out and what we refrigerate. I've likely missed something.

  7. modom

    modom Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:34:03 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Right now: avocados, onions, garlic, tomatoes, jalapenos, shallots,
    apples.
    --
    modom

  8. In article <%[email protected]>,
    "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
    They go black fast if refrigerated.

    All else is.

    Fruit flies are a problem here.

    Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > readandpostrosie wrote:
    >
    > > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
    > >

    > I'm assuming you mean fresh and it depends on what's in season. Fresh
    > produce from the garden is left in a huge wicker basket until needed or
    > processed if need be. The only veggie from the garden that I would put
    > in the crisper is excess cucumber. Lettuces are picked as needed and
    > stood cut end down in a bowl of water until serving. I do the same with
    > a lot of the fresh herbs too. Store bought produce in the off season
    > tends to be put in the fridge with the exception of tomatoes or
    > something like zucchini that is going to be used that night. Tomatoes
    > go into a basket sitting on a stove burner. Fruit basket left on the
    > counter or table - apples, bananas, pears, grapes. Another basket holds
    > citrus but sometimes I put some in the crisper too. I also have baskets
    > for potatoes, onions, and squashes in the kitchen. Garlic is kept in a
    > clay garlic keeper on the counter. Fresh ginger goes in a small produce
    > catch all basket. Horseradish root goes in there too when I can find
    > it. I have a container of bean sprouts on the go most of the time but
    > that is kept in a cupboard. Melons are normally put in the fridge but
    > most berries aren't.
    >
    > PS. I have so many fruit and veggies baskets out and not just on the
    > counter so I've included them. I think that should give you a good idea
    > of what we leave out and what we refrigerate. I've likely missed something.

    Are you an Aries perchance? ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  10. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 11:49:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    OmManiPadmeOmelet?

    > In article <%[email protected]>,
    > "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
    >>

    > Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
    > They go black fast if refrigerated.

    While it's true that the skin turns black, the flesh inside does not. If
    you're bananas are at the stage of ripeness you like, refrigerating them
    will slow down the process considerably, enough to continue enjoying them
    exactly they way you like them. Pay no attention to the skin. :)

    > All else is.
    >
    > Fruit flies are a problem here.
    >
    > Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  11. Peter A

    Peter A Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Wayne
    Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
    > On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:34:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > readandpostrosie?
    >
    > > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    > Almost all fruits except grapes and cherries. As far as veggies, winter
    > squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Potatoes and onions go in a dark drawer - light is not good for them.
    Tomatoes on the counter for sure - chilling degrades the flavor. Squash
    too. Other veg in the fridge. Almost all fruit on the counter (in a
    fruit bowl actually) but like Wayne I refrigerate cherries and grapes.

    Peter Aitken

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>readandpostrosie wrote:
    >>

    >>>what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
    >>>

    ><snip>
    >
    > Are you an Aries perchance? ;-)

    Nope, Gemini.

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Thu 23 Mar 2006 11:49:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet?
    >
    > > In article <%[email protected]>,
    > > "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
    > >>

    > > Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
    > > They go black fast if refrigerated.

    > While it's true that the skin turns black, the flesh inside does not. If
    > you're bananas are at the stage of ripeness you like, refrigerating them
    > will slow down the process considerably, enough to continue enjoying them
    > exactly they way you like them. Pay no attention to the skin. :)
    >
    > > All else is.
    > >
    > > Fruit flies are a problem here.
    > >
    > > Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.

    Heh! 'nannas get eaten so fast here, it does not matter.
    They are separated and put into a large bowl and covered with a screen
    lid to keep the FF out.

    I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart unit that I support. Refrigerator space is
    rarely an issue. <G>

    I got it for free but I had to replace the compresser last fall. $900.00
    but I don't give a damn. That's what Visa is for!

    Should be good for another 25 years now like the last compresser was.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  14. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:34:03 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Potatoes, onions, sweet potato and garlic go in wire baskets in the
    cupboard under the sink because light doesn't do them any favours...
    if we happen to buy leek or any root vegetables (aside from carrots)
    they go in there too.

    Bananas, apples and citrus fruits go in a wire basket on the counter.
    Everything else goes in the fridge. Things get overripe awfully fast
    in Florida, even in an air-conditioned apartment!

  15. In article <%[email protected]>,
    "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    Tomatoes, always, unless cut. I've got a plastic container of
    strawberries that are going to be on the counter tonight (the store
    doesn't refrigerate them, either). Bananas. Oranges. Apples.
    Avocadoes.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!

  16. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    readandpostrosie wrote:
    > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

    tomatoes, eggplant, bananas, plantains, avocados, onions and garlic
    (at least that is what is on my counter right now)

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  17. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
    > >

    > Bananas
    >
    > Canteloupe & Honeydew melons, until they're ripe.
    >
    > Mangos & kiwis, until they're ripe.
    >
    > Pineapples, until they're ripe
    >
    > Oranges, but just one or two at a time, because sometimes they taste better
    > at room temperature.
    >
    > Tomatoes, until they're ripe.

    Refrigerating bananas has no bearing on teh flesh except to extend it's
    shelf life, only the
    skins will blacken. Frozen bananas are excellent, especially dipped in
    chocolate... store wrapped in waxed paper.

    I don't leave any fruits or veggies on my counter except to ripen,
    except tomatoes, cold kills their flavor. Many fruits do not ripen
    once picked, like citrus (which should always be kept refrigerated) and
    pineapple. Pineapple does not ripen once picked... except for canned
    very few have ever tasted ripe pineapple unless one happens to live
    whrere pineapple is grown... left out on the counter what you're eating
    is pineapple that has fermented/rotted, not ripened. The pineapple
    most folks buy at the stupidmarket is underripe, fully rippened does
    not ship well. Unless eaten immediately pineapple should be stored in
    the fridge for up to three days. Before eating leave pineapple out on
    the counter for about eight hours, set upside down (leaves down), this
    will redistribute whatever natural sugars are present.

    Fresh pineapple contains a natural tenderizer (an enzyme called
    bromelain), puree the skins and core to make a marinade for tougher
    cuts of beef. Never suck the flesh that adheres to the inside of
    pineapple skin, between the bromelain and sharp barbs your lips will
    become terribly shredded, I guarantee anyone that does this once will
    never do it a second time.

    Sheldon

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    > As far as veggies, winter
    > squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

    Oh, squash and avocados. I have a glut of avocados right now, anyone
    have any good ideas of what to do with them, not just guacamole. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  19. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> As far as veggies, winter
    >> squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

    > Oh, squash and avocados. I have a glut of avocados right now, anyone
    > have any good ideas of what to do with them, not just guacamole. Thanks.

    Avocado slices on serious whole wheat bread with slivers of cheddar cheese
    and bean sprouts. Yum. Maybe a little mayo, if you like.