on the counter

readandpostrosie

Guest
what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:34:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
readandpostrosie?

> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Almost all fruits except grapes and cherries. As far as veggies, winter
squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:%[email protected]:

> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

I put all fruits in a big fruit bowl on the table. I'll put peaches (if
ripe), grapes, cherries and sometimes pears (if ripe) in the fridge.
Lessee, tangerines, oranges and apples are left on the table also.

Vegetables are a toss up according to season.

None of it lasts long around here.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

"readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Bananas

Canteloupe & Honeydew melons, until they're ripe.

Mangos & kiwis, until they're ripe.

Pineapples, until they're ripe

Oranges, but just one or two at a time, because sometimes they taste better
at room temperature.

Tomatoes, until they're ripe.

readandpostrosie wrote:
> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, winter squash, citrus, melons,
apples, pears, bananas, pineapples, probably more I can't think of...

-L.

readandpostrosie wrote:

> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

I'm assuming you mean fresh and it depends on what's in season. Fresh
produce from the garden is left in a huge wicker basket until needed or
processed if need be. The only veggie from the garden that I would put
in the crisper is excess cucumber. Lettuces are picked as needed and
stood cut end down in a bowl of water until serving. I do the same with
a lot of the fresh herbs too. Store bought produce in the off season
tends to be put in the fridge with the exception of tomatoes or
something like zucchini that is going to be used that night. Tomatoes
go into a basket sitting on a stove burner. Fruit basket left on the
counter or table - apples, bananas, pears, grapes. Another basket holds
citrus but sometimes I put some in the crisper too. I also have baskets
for potatoes, onions, and squashes in the kitchen. Garlic is kept in a
clay garlic keeper on the counter. Fresh ginger goes in a small produce
catch all basket. Horseradish root goes in there too when I can find
it. I have a container of bean sprouts on the go most of the time but
that is kept in a cupboard. Melons are normally put in the fridge but
most berries aren't.

PS. I have so many fruit and veggies baskets out and not just on the
counter so I've included them. I think that should give you a good idea
of what we leave out and what we refrigerate. I've likely missed something.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:34:03 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Right now: avocados, onions, garlic, tomatoes, jalapenos, shallots,
apples.
--
modom

In article <%[email protected]>,
"readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
They go black fast if refrigerated.

All else is.

Fruit flies are a problem here.

Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

> readandpostrosie wrote:
>
> > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
> >

> I'm assuming you mean fresh and it depends on what's in season. Fresh
> produce from the garden is left in a huge wicker basket until needed or
> processed if need be. The only veggie from the garden that I would put
> in the crisper is excess cucumber. Lettuces are picked as needed and
> stood cut end down in a bowl of water until serving. I do the same with
> a lot of the fresh herbs too. Store bought produce in the off season
> tends to be put in the fridge with the exception of tomatoes or
> something like zucchini that is going to be used that night. Tomatoes
> go into a basket sitting on a stove burner. Fruit basket left on the
> counter or table - apples, bananas, pears, grapes. Another basket holds
> citrus but sometimes I put some in the crisper too. I also have baskets
> for potatoes, onions, and squashes in the kitchen. Garlic is kept in a
> clay garlic keeper on the counter. Fresh ginger goes in a small produce
> catch all basket. Horseradish root goes in there too when I can find
> it. I have a container of bean sprouts on the go most of the time but
> that is kept in a cupboard. Melons are normally put in the fridge but
> most berries aren't.
>
> PS. I have so many fruit and veggies baskets out and not just on the
> counter so I've included them. I think that should give you a good idea
> of what we leave out and what we refrigerate. I've likely missed something.

Are you an Aries perchance? ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 11:49:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmeOmelet?

> In article <%[email protected]>,
> "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
>>

> Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
> They go black fast if refrigerated.

While it's true that the skin turns black, the flesh inside does not. If
you're bananas are at the stage of ripeness you like, refrigerating them
will slow down the process considerably, enough to continue enjoying them
exactly they way you like them. Pay no attention to the skin. :)

> All else is.
>
> Fruit flies are a problem here.
>
> Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne
Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:34:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> readandpostrosie?
>
> > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

> Almost all fruits except grapes and cherries. As far as veggies, winter
> squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

Potatoes and onions go in a dark drawer - light is not good for them.
Tomatoes on the counter for sure - chilling degrades the flavor. Squash
too. Other veg in the fridge. Almost all fruit on the counter (in a
fruit bowl actually) but like Wayne I refrigerate cherries and grapes.

Peter Aitken

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>readandpostrosie wrote:
>>

>>>what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
>>>

><snip>
>
> Are you an Aries perchance? ;-)

Nope, Gemini.

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 11:49:52a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> OmManiPadmeOmelet?
>
> > In article <%[email protected]>,
> > "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
> >>

> > Bannanas... That's pretty much it.
> > They go black fast if refrigerated.

> While it's true that the skin turns black, the flesh inside does not. If
> you're bananas are at the stage of ripeness you like, refrigerating them
> will slow down the process considerably, enough to continue enjoying them
> exactly they way you like them. Pay no attention to the skin. :)
>
> > All else is.
> >
> > Fruit flies are a problem here.
> >
> > Oh, and winter squashes if I don't have 'frige room.

Heh! 'nannas get eaten so fast here, it does not matter.
They are separated and put into a large bowl and covered with a screen
lid to keep the FF out.

I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart unit that I support. Refrigerator space is
rarely an issue. <G>

I got it for free but I had to replace the compresser last fall. $900.00
but I don't give a damn. That's what Visa is for!

Should be good for another 25 years now like the last compresser was.
--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Potatoes, onions, sweet potato and garlic go in wire baskets in the
cupboard under the sink because light doesn't do them any favours...
if we happen to buy leek or any root vegetables (aside from carrots)
they go in there too.

Bananas, apples and citrus fruits go in a wire basket on the counter.
Everything else goes in the fridge. Things get overripe awfully fast
in Florida, even in an air-conditioned apartment!

In article <%[email protected]>,
"readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

Tomatoes, always, unless cut. I've got a plastic container of
strawberries that are going to be on the counter tonight (the store
doesn't refrigerate them, either). Bananas. Oranges. Apples.
Avocadoes.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!

readandpostrosie wrote:
> what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?

tomatoes, eggplant, bananas, plantains, avocados, onions and garlic
(at least that is what is on my counter right now)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "readandpostrosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > what fruits/veggies do you all leave on the counter?
> >

> Bananas
>
> Canteloupe & Honeydew melons, until they're ripe.
>
> Mangos & kiwis, until they're ripe.
>
> Pineapples, until they're ripe
>
> Oranges, but just one or two at a time, because sometimes they taste better
> at room temperature.
>
> Tomatoes, until they're ripe.

Refrigerating bananas has no bearing on teh flesh except to extend it's
shelf life, only the
skins will blacken. Frozen bananas are excellent, especially dipped in
chocolate... store wrapped in waxed paper.

I don't leave any fruits or veggies on my counter except to ripen,
except tomatoes, cold kills their flavor. Many fruits do not ripen
once picked, like citrus (which should always be kept refrigerated) and
pineapple. Pineapple does not ripen once picked... except for canned
very few have ever tasted ripe pineapple unless one happens to live
whrere pineapple is grown... left out on the counter what you're eating
is pineapple that has fermented/rotted, not ripened. The pineapple
most folks buy at the stupidmarket is underripe, fully rippened does
not ship well. Unless eaten immediately pineapple should be stored in
the fridge for up to three days. Before eating leave pineapple out on
the counter for about eight hours, set upside down (leaves down), this
will redistribute whatever natural sugars are present.

Fresh pineapple contains a natural tenderizer (an enzyme called
bromelain), puree the skins and core to make a marinade for tougher
cuts of beef. Never suck the flesh that adheres to the inside of
pineapple skin, between the bromelain and sharp barbs your lips will
become terribly shredded, I guarantee anyone that does this once will
never do it a second time.

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as veggies, winter
> squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

Oh, squash and avocados. I have a glut of avocados right now, anyone
have any good ideas of what to do with them, not just guacamole. Thanks.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as veggies, winter
>> squash, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, for starters.

> Oh, squash and avocados. I have a glut of avocados right now, anyone
> have any good ideas of what to do with them, not just guacamole. Thanks.

Avocado slices on serious whole wheat bread with slivers of cheddar cheese
and bean sprouts. Yum. Maybe a little mayo, if you like.