On using the most visible part of a commuter for safety - his/her backpack!

Thanks for your reply but 38 lumens is not even close to comparison to high end bike lights, in fact 40 lumen range of lights today are the bottom of the lumen rating and price as well, most modern higher end tail lights in America are putting out a minimum of 60 lumens and the one I have puts out 70, while the better ones are going over 100. Do I think a person needs a 100 plus lumen tail light? not really, but if you're LED's can go to 3 watts and you have them set for 1/2 a watt then why not bump the output to 1 watt each? This would match the output of the Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo (now considered a low end light mind you), and it would significantly increase the lighting and attract buyers like flies to fresh dead meat. The cost should be very minimal to do that, then simply increase the battery to 6,000amh for longer run time at the higher setting which also shouldn't cost much either.

Just thoughts that's all.
Hi Froze,
I liked the analogy :) . True - in fact, given that we do have some processing power, we can set the max output high and just let the user customize it on a scale of their liking. and you are right - LEDs aren't that costly these days - the main costs come into the industrial design required, certifications etc which remain the same irrespective of the output (at this level). I'll take that feedback. Thanks!

Gandharv

One of the factories in my town really encourages workers to bike to work. The only criteria is to have those yellow vests on themselves. These men usually just put them on their backpacks, so they are visible but also use the vests the company gives to them.

One of the factories in my town really encourages workers to bike to work. The only criteria is to have those yellow vests on themselves. These men usually just put them on their backpacks, so they are visible but also use the vests the company gives to them.

This is a good point. I also use a neon green vest when I commute but not on my regular rides unless I know I will be out at dusk or after dark. But I also put the vest over the backpack so the neon green is on the outside. I think if this pack pack were to succeed an assortment of color options should be offered, from neon green to camo to something that is more business suited type of look, etc. I don't think you need a lot of different color options but maybe 4 or 5 I would think would be plenty.

Also try to incorporate reflective strips or piping into the backpack, something not real obvious to the eye, but it could be a logo, or piping that runs up and down and or across, etc. Yes the pack pack has it's own lighting, but some reflective material might be useful should the batteries die on a ride, thus something is better than nothing would work in an emergency.

Also you may want to make the pack pack water resistant if you haven't already, with modern electronics being stored in pack packs this could be a major selling point?

Hi Cycle93, Froze,
Thanks. That is a fair point and actually , it came out during our testing. The pack does have reflective material that reflects from multiple angles like shown below:
clmleuymav5sbvailn8h.png

Sorry for the awkwardly taken photo (took it with flash to show the reflectors). And even the water-proofing, yes. I did use water-proof zippers and water-resistant material on the backpack:
kyt5xccibt4qqqj8gnhd.jpg

It should handle 1-2 hours of non-torrential rain quite easily. The biggest culprit ends up being the seams here - after a while, the water goes in through that but it takes time.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Gandharv

Nice job on the reflective and waterproofing abilities. I think you have a very marketable pack pack, I think if you just get the light output higher and a slightly higher amp hour battery to give the higher powered LED's the same run time they have now and it should sell like crazy.

I really like these kind of new gears, like the you just introduced.
They are well designed and also really useful!