On your bike! - leader in today's Grauniad

davek

Guest
There's a nice pro cycling leader in today's Grauniad that repeats the
statistic mentioned elsewhere about the Yoof Of Today preferring cycling
to football. See here:
<url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1297837,00.html>
or
<url:http://tinyurl.com/66vpx>

Some of it is quite amusing, eg:
"It has always been difficult to be bad at cycling. Nowadays it is
impossible. By selecting the lowest click in the lowest twist of the
lowest register, the most sportingly inept of us can sail uphill."

Also makes odd mention of "graphite" bikes. I thought bikes were made of
aluminium and graphite was what went in pencils.

d.

On 6/9/04 2:25 pm, in article [email protected], "davek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Also makes odd mention of "graphite" bikes. I thought bikes were made of
> aluminium and graphite was what went in pencils.

That's carbon fibre to you and me.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> That's carbon fibre to you and me.

Yes, I realise that now. It dawned on me soon after I posted - Gah!
Typical! Unfortunately, my brain works at a slower speed than my typing
fingers.

d.

davek wrote:
> There's a nice pro cycling leader in today's Grauniad that repeats the
> statistic mentioned elsewhere about the Yoof Of Today preferring
> cycling to football. See here:
> <url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1297837,00.html>
> or
> <url:http://tinyurl.com/66vpx>

A pity that none of the "Useful links" at the bottom of the page actually
points to a /cycling/ organisation...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:
> davek wrote:
>> There's a nice pro cycling leader in today's Grauniad that repeats
>> the statistic mentioned elsewhere about the Yoof Of Today preferring
>> cycling to football. See here:
>> <url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1297837,00.html>
>> or
>> <url:http://tinyurl.com/66vpx>

> A pity that none of the "Useful links" at the bottom of the page
> actually points to a /cycling/ organisation..

Looks like Grauniad's content (mis)managment system has this story filed
under 'transport' and spits out (ir)relevant footer links accordingly.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> writes:

>Looks like Grauniad's content (mis)managment system has this story filed
>under 'transport' and spits out (ir)relevant footer links accordingly.

Sort of like Ebay - I lost an auction on a book called 'building canoes in
fiber glass' and the email included links to similar items I might be
interested in, with titles like 'body building'...

Roos

in message <[email protected]>, davek
('[email protected]') wrote:

> There's a nice pro cycling leader in today's Grauniad that repeats the
> statistic mentioned elsewhere about the Yoof Of Today preferring
> cycling to football. See here:
> <url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,1297837,00.html>
> or
> <url:http://tinyurl.com/66vpx>

Amusingly, all the adverts linked from the story are for car insurance,
and the related Guardian resources are:

Special reports
Car industry in the UK
Transport in the UK
Oil and petrol

Useful links
Department for Transport
Motorists' Forum
The AA
International Road Federation

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some of it is quite amusing, eg:
> "It has always been difficult to be bad at cycling. Nowadays it is
> impossible. By selecting the lowest click in the lowest twist of the
> lowest register, the most sportingly inept of us can sail uphill."

Damn! I've spent all those years thinking that if I get fitter and stronger
I'll be able to ascend faster. Buggar!
Clearly I should just have studied Virenques gear changing technique. Darn!

Pete

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BD622612.1FB6F%[email protected]>...
> On 6/9/04 2:25 pm, in article [email protected], "davek"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Also makes odd mention of "graphite" bikes. I thought bikes were made of
> > aluminium and graphite was what went in pencils.

> That's carbon fibre to you and me.

In the context of squash & tennis rackets, CF is often referred to as
graphite, and has been for a good few years (rackets being one of the
earliest large-scale uses of CF in sports equipment).

David E. Belcher