ONCE - it's official

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Van Hoorebeeck, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season, after
    15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.

    With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.

    big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....

    Tags:

  2. > Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    > after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.

    So ends Beloki's career. Maybe we'll spot him herding goats next to the road in some future
    Vuelta stage.

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Can Postal scoop up any of their climbers to help Lance next year?????

    Van Hoorebeeck Bart wrote:

    >Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    >after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.
    >
    >With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    >quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.
    >
    >big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    > after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.
    >
    > With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    > quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.
    >
    > big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....

    I thought they were set for one more year? Any idea why the change?

  5. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    > > after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.
    >

    > So ends Beloki's career. Maybe we'll spot him herding goats next to
    the
    > road in some future Vuelta stage.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/aug03/aug04news2

    Rabobank interested in Beloki and Mayo

    In light of its ongoing lack of success in the overall classification of grand tours, the Rabobank
    team is looking for more options. According to De Telegraaf, team manager Jan Raas was in Spain
    last week to negotiate with Joseba Beloki and Iban Mayo, two riders who will be free next year.
    Mayo has already indicated his interest in Rabobank, and perhaps having Beloki as a teammate would
    seal the deal.

    De Telegraaf also reported that José-Antonio Pecharroman, winner of the Bicicleta Vasca and Volta a
    Catalunya, will sign for Quick.Step next season. Together with Juan Miguel Mercado, Pecharroman will
    strengthen the team in the mountains.

    Spanish professional cycling is in a little bit of a crisis at the moment, as two of its four
    division I teams (iBanesto and ONCE) will lose their title sponsors next year. While the top riders
    shouldn't have too many problems finding new employers, a number of Spanish riders will have to step
    down a division or two, or retire.

    <snip><end

  6. Bart

    Bart Guest

    the direction board is renewed.....

  7. Swj

    Swj Guest

    i wonder where Manolo Saiz will end up ? last i heard, ONCE was sponsoring until 2004 then Eroski
    would take over 2005 and on. i guess they changed their minds, they will be missed. although this
    could be an open door for kelme to pick it up again, ONCE is a team with some serious talent that
    many teams would love to get a hold of.

    shawn

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can Postal scoop up any of their climbers to help Lance next year?????
    >
    > Van Hoorebeeck Bart wrote:
    >
    > >Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    > >after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.
    > >
    > >With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    > >quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.
    > >
    > >big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....

  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Van Hoorebeeck Bart <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Today the foundation announced they quit the cycling team sponsoring at the end of the season,
    > after 15 years. Eroski won't step up to main sponsoring.
    >
    > With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    > quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.
    >
    > big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....

    I read today that Würth, already a minor sponsor of the team, may step up with Eroski to
    continue the team

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >> With ibanesto quitting as well, and Kelme having been on the edge already (and having lowered in
    >> quality), this is all pretty sad for Spanish cycling.
    >>
    >> big time transfer market opportunities for DSs.....
    >>

    >I thought they were set for one more year? Any idea why the change?

    Because they're tired of Manolo's race "tactics"...

  10. Bart schreef:

    > the direction board is renewed.....

    they see no point in further sponsoring as 98% of the Spanish population knows ONCE. they will focus
    on sponsoring more in line with their social aspirations, i.e. the Paralympics.

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "swj" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

    news:[email protected]...
    > i wonder where Manolo Saiz will end up ? last i heard, ONCE was
    sponsoring
    > until 2004 then Eroski would take over 2005 and on. i guess they changed their minds, they will be
    > missed. although this could be an open door for kelme to pick it up again, ONCE is a team with
    > some serious talent that
    many
    > teams would love to get a hold of.
    >
    > shawn

    Yeah, that is the last report I had too. Saiz is hoping to hold the team together. If the team is
    gone, I am sure he will be adrift (as aposed to taking a lower job for a while at another team).

  12. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bart schreef:
    >
    > > the direction board is renewed.....
    >
    > they see no point in further sponsoring as 98% of the Spanish population knows ONCE. they will
    > focus on sponsoring more in line with their social aspirations, i.e. the Paralympics.

    It makes sense. It is unfortunate but certainly possible to be too successful in sponsorship.