One absurd news story . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryan K. Walton

I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
even crazier comment:

"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
American soil."

UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the story:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html

-Bryan

On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> American soil."
>
> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
> the story:
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>
> -Bryan

What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
>the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
>coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
>pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
>even crazier comment:
>
>"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>American soil."
>
>UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the story:

Actually, there has been talk of this.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

"Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%[email protected]:

> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> American soil."
>
> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
> the story:

Didn't you catch the beginning of the next paragraph? The one that starts "The Tour may be an
international event but it should stay in France. If Americans can't get into it, phonying it up to
make it more appealing."

--
Wayne Menzie

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>
>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>> American soil."
>>
>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
>> the story:
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>
>> -Bryan
>
>What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

"Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
> the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
> coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
> pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
> even crazier comment:
>
> American soil."
>
> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.

Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques Goddet.
He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days in the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every
four years.

Benjo Maso

Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>
>>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>> American soil."
>>>
>>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
>>> story:
>>>
>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>>
>>> -Bryan
>>
>>What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

> A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

At least when he's playing, he's not pretending to conduct...

--------------020300040909050303090703 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

From what I remeber, official talk by the tour organization, not just some reporters... In NYC or
something?

Lindsay wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
>>I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
>>the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
>>coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
>>pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
>>even crazier comment:
>>
>>"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>American soil."
>>
>>UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
>>the story:
>>
>>
>
>Actually, there has been talk of this.
>
>Lindsay
>----------------------------
>"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
>difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
>remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."
>
>P.J. O'Rourke
>
>

--------------020300040909050303090703 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title> </head> <body>
From what I remeber, official talk by the tour organization, not just some reporters... In NYC
or something?<br> <br> Lindsay wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT,
"Bryan K. Walton" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:

</pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">I share the opinions of many in the United States who
complain about much of the news coverage of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so
thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I
would pass this on. This may be the most pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that
the writer misses John Tesh, there is an even crazier comment:

"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
American soil."

UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the story:
</pre> </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----> Actually, there has been talk of this.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke </pre> </blockquote> <br> </body> </html>

--------------020300040909050303090703--

benjo maso wrote:
>
> "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
> > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage
> > of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
> > coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
> > pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
> > even crazier comment:
> >
> > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> > American soil."
> >
> > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
>
> Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques Goddet.
> He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days in the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in
> every four years.
>
> Benjo Maso

North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana

--
English is the would's lingua franca

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> benjo maso wrote:
> >
> > "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:%[email protected]...
> > > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage
> > > of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's
> > > weekend coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be
> > > the most pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh,
> > > there is an even crazier comment:
> > >
> > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> > > American soil."
> > >
> > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
> >
> > Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques
> > Goddet. He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days
in
> > the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every four years.
> >
> > Benjo Maso
>
> North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana

Absolutely not. The French have always wanted to bring their language and culture everywhere. No use
bringing the Tour to nations where French culture is already well established. Goddet (whose English
by the way was excellent) was talking about New York, Moscow and Tokyo.

Benjo Maso

On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>
>>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>> American soil."
>>>
>>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
>>> story:
>>>
>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>>
>>> -Bryan
>>
>> What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
>
> A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > benjo maso wrote:
> > >
> > > "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:%[email protected]...
> > > > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news
> > > > coverage of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet.
> > > > CBS's weekend coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This
> > > > may be the most pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses
> > > > John Tesh, there is an even crazier comment:
> > > >
> > > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> > > > American soil."
> > > >
> > > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
> > >
> > > Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques
> > > Goddet. He wanted to bring the Tour for a few
days
> in
> > > the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every four years.
> > >
> > > Benjo Maso
> >
> > North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana
>
>
> Absolutely not. The French have always wanted to bring their language and culture everywhere. No
> use bringing the Tour to nations where French
culture
> is already well established. Goddet (whose English by the way was
excellent)
> was talking about New York, Moscow and Tokyo.
>
> Benjo Maso

Ben, where are you based?

Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>>
>>>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>>> American soil."
>>>>
>>>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
>>>> story:
>>>>
>>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>>>
>>>> -Bryan
>>>
>>> What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
>>
>> A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

> Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!

Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

Clovis Lark wrote:
> Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>
>
>>>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>>>>American soil."
>>>>>
>>>>>UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
>>>>>story:
>>>>>
>>>>>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>>>>
>>>>>-Bryan
>>>>
>>>>What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
>>>
>>>A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing
>
>
>>Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!
>
>
> Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

They should have a Masters category for piano gods.

Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clovis Lark wrote:
>> Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>
>>
>>>>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
>>>>>>American soil."
>>>>>>
>>>>>>UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
>>>>>>story:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
>>>>>>
>>>>>>-Bryan
>>>>>
>>>>>What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
>>>>
>>>>A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing
>>
>>
>>>Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!
>>
>>
>> Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

> They should have a Masters category for piano gods.

No need. these guys/gals define it...

Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> American soil."
>
> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.

Why not? TIOOYK frequently has stages that pass through other countries, include Ireland a few years
ago! This has been seriously considered by SdTdF before. It would probably start in the U.S., with
all the stages starting really early in the morning, then have a 1 day transfer overnight, followed
by a rest day, before continuing in France. The biggest problem is flying all the equipment and the
expense of duplicating things like team cars etc...

--
Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Dominic Richens wrote:
>
> Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> > American soil."
> >
> > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
>
> Why not? TIOOYK frequently has stages that pass through other countries, include Ireland a few
> years ago! This has been seriously considered by SdTdF before. It would probably start in the
> U.S., with all the stages starting really early in the morning, then have a 1 day transfer
> overnight, followed by a rest day, before continuing in France. The biggest problem is flying all
> the equipment and the expense of duplicating things like team cars etc...

The US is a large enough market to make such a move profitable if it's done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.