One absurd news story . . .

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bryan K. Walton, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
    the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
    coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
    pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
    even crazier comment:

    "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    American soil."

    UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the story:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html

    -Bryan

    Tags:

  2. Mike Speegle

    Mike Speegle Guest

    In news:Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> typed:

    > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > American soil."
    >
    > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
    > the story:
    >
    > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html

    That reporter forgets the Red Zinger and all the coverage it got. And still it failed due to
    lack of sponsorship. :-(
    --
    Mike

  3. Mason Verger

    Mason Verger Guest

    On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

    > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > American soil."
    >
    > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
    > the story:
    >
    > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
    >
    > -Bryan

    What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

  4. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
    >the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
    >coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
    >pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
    >even crazier comment:
    >
    >"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    >American soil."
    >
    >UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the story:

    Actually, there has been talk of this.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  5. Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie Guest

    "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%[email protected]:

    > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > American soil."
    >
    > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
    > the story:

    Didn't you catch the beginning of the next paragraph? The one that starts "The Tour may be an
    international event but it should stay in France. If Americans can't get into it, phonying it up to
    make it more appealing."

    --
    Wayne Menzie

  6. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
    >
    >> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    >> American soil."
    >>
    >> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
    >> the story:
    >>
    >> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
    >>
    >> -Bryan
    >
    >What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

    A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

  7. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
    > the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
    > coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
    > pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
    > even crazier comment:
    >
    > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > American soil."
    >
    > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.

    Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques Goddet.
    He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days in the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every
    four years.

    Benjo Maso

  8. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
    >>
    >>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    >>> American soil."
    >>>
    >>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
    >>> story:
    >>>
    >>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
    >>>
    >>> -Bryan
    >>
    >>What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?

    > A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

    At least when he's playing, he's not pretending to conduct...

  9. --------------020300040909050303090703 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    From what I remeber, official talk by the tour organization, not just some reporters... In NYC or
    something?

    Lindsay wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage of
    >>the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
    >>coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
    >>pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
    >>even crazier comment:
    >>
    >>"One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    >>American soil."
    >>
    >>UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
    >>the story:
    >>

    >Actually, there has been talk of this.
    >
    >Lindsay
    >----------------------------
    >"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    >difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    >remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."
    >
    >P.J. O'Rourke

    --------------020300040909050303090703 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    From what I remeber, official talk by the tour organization, not just some reporters... In NYC
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:09:47 GMT,
    "Bryan K. Walton" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:

[...]

  10. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    benjo maso wrote:

    > "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage
    > > of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's weekend
    > > coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most
    > > pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an
    > > even crazier comment:
    > >
    > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > > American soil."
    > >
    > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
    >
    > Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques Goddet.
    > He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days in the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in
    > every four years.
    >
    > Benjo Maso

    North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana

    --
    English is the would's lingua franca

  11. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "David Ryan" <bike[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > benjo maso wrote:
    > >
    > > "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:%[email protected]...
    > > > I share the opinions of many in the United States who complain about much of the news coverage
    > > > of the TDF here. I don't have OLN (unfortunately), so thank God for the Internet. CBS's
    > > > weekend coverage is a joke. However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be
    > > > the most pathetic news story ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh,
    > > > there is an even crazier comment:
    > > >
    > > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > > > American soil."
    > > >
    > > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
    > >
    > > Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques
    > > Goddet. He wanted to bring the Tour for a few days
    in
    > > the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every four years.
    > >
    > > Benjo Maso
    >
    > North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana

    Absolutely not. The French have always wanted to bring their language and culture everywhere. No use
    bringing the Tour to nations where French culture is already well established. Goddet (whose English
    by the way was excellent) was talking about New York, Moscow and Tokyo.

    Benjo Maso

  12. Mason Verger

    Mason Verger Guest

    On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:
    >>
    >>> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    >>> American soil."
    >>>
    >>> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to the
    >>> story:
    >>>
    >>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html
    >>>
    >>> -Bryan
    >>
    >> What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
    >
    > A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

    Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > benjo maso wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:%[email protected]...

    > > > Actually, it is an old plan, launched already in the early 1980's by Tour-director Jacques
    > > > Goddet. He wanted to bring the Tour for a few
    days
    > in
    > > > the USA, Russia, Japan or South-America once in every four years.
    > > >
    > > > Benjo Maso
    > >
    > > North America: St. Pierre & Miquelon, Quebec, Louisiana South America: French Guiana
    >

    > Absolutely not. The French have always wanted to bring their language and culture everywhere. No
    > use bringing the Tour to nations where French
    culture
    > is already well established. Goddet (whose English by the way was
    excellent)
    > was talking about New York, Moscow and Tokyo.
    >
    > Benjo Maso

    Ben, where are you based?

  14. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:18:40 GMT, "Mason Verger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On [GMT+0100=CET], Bryan K. Walton <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

    >>> What do you expect from morons who only follow Ichiro 24/7?
    >>
    >> A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing

    > Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!

    Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

  15. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

  16. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Clovis Lark wrote:
    > Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>A lot more than from morons who think Ashkenazy is the god of piano playing
    >

    >>Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!
    >

    > Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

    They should have a Masters category for piano gods.

  17. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Clovis Lark wrote:
    >> Mason Verger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On [GMT+0100=CET], Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> thought hard and spewed:

    >>>Ashkenazy was the god of piano playing, now it's Perrehia. Give the old man a break, he's 66!
    >>

    >> Apparently, you never heard Uchida or Pollini? And 66 ain't so old.

    > They should have a Masters category for piano gods.

    No need. these guys/gals define it...

  18. Bryan K. Walton wrote:
    > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > American soil."
    >
    > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.

    Why not? TIOOYK frequently has stages that pass through other countries, include Ireland a few years
    ago! This has been seriously considered by SdTdF before. It would probably start in the U.S., with
    all the stages starting really early in the morning, then have a 1 day transfer overnight, followed
    by a rest day, before continuing in France. The biggest problem is flying all the equipment and the
    expense of duplicating things like team cars etc...

    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

  19. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Dominic Richens wrote:

    > Bryan K. Walton wrote:
    > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
    > > American soil."
    > >
    > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
    >
    > Why not? TIOOYK frequently has stages that pass through other countries, include Ireland a few
    > years ago! This has been seriously considered by SdTdF before. It would probably start in the
    > U.S., with all the stages starting really early in the morning, then have a 1 day transfer
    > overnight, followed by a rest day, before continuing in France. The biggest problem is flying all
    > the equipment and the expense of duplicating things like team cars etc...

    The US is a large enough market to make such a move profitable if it's done right.