One absurd news story . . .

Using the same logic, Rubinstein and Horowitz should have been sent to the glue factory after 66,
and Kirsten Gum, being less than 66 years of age, should be allowed to flourish as an inept
commentator of OLN's Tour coverage.

news:<[email protected]>...

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:35:51 +0200, I wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:41:21 +0100, benjo maso wrote:
>> The Netherlands (5 miles from Amsterdam)
>
> An even bigger recommendation [...]

Oh, and that he's a Pantani and Ullrich supporter.

E.-me too

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dominic Richens wrote:
> >
> > Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> > > "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> > > American soil."
> > >
> > > UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments.
> >
> > Why not? TIOOYK frequently has stages that pass through other
countries,
> > include Ireland a few years ago! This has been seriously considered by SdTdF before. It would
> > probably start in the U.S., with all the stages starting really early in the morning, then have
> > a 1 day transfer
overnight,
> > followed by a rest day, before continuing in France. The biggest
problem is
> > flying all the equipment and the expense of duplicating things like team cars etc...
>
> The US is a large enough market to make such a move profitable if it's done right.

I disagree.

The Tour entourage is ~5000 people. Race logistics, teams support staff, yada, yada.

The logistics would be a nightmare. 5000 people transatlantic could be handled, but air freight for
the entire Tour caravan, the vehicles, etc.?

It would be hell for the support staff. The riders wouldn't fare to well either, sitting on the
plane that long on an off day. Can't see it ever happening unless the government decides to
subsidize it with military air transport.

Bryan wrote :
>... However, for laughs, I thought I would pass this on. This may be the most pathetic news story
>ever about the TDF. Never mind that the writer misses John Tesh, there is an even crazier comment:
>
> "One idea to bring in more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on
> American soil."
>
> UGGHH!! Reporters shouldn't be allowed to make such stupid comments. Here is the link to
> the story:
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/levesque/131526_leve19.html

Reads to me like the reporter was relaying someone else's goofy concept: "One idea to bring in
more American viewers is to have some stages of the Tour take place on American soil. The Tour
doesn't always stay completely in France, but Roger Williams, the head of OLN, told
CBS.MarketWatch.com that the likelihood of a U.S. segment is 50-50 at best.

The hope here is that it never gets past 20-80. The Tour may be an international event but it should
stay in France. If Americans can't get into it, phonying it up to make it more appealing (see Major
League Baseball, All-Star Game) will only cheapen something that's managed to last a century without
being ruined by an American network."

HTH --Karen M. visiting from r.b.m.