One-Armed Cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Diablo Scott, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    I used to see a one-armed guy riding in my town quite a bit. He looked
    quite experienced judging from his speed and handling skills. He think
    he had regular road bars but I doubt he ever had his hand too far away
    from the stem and I don't think he got out of the saddle very often
    either. He had some kind of shifter mechanism and a single brake lever
    that was all operable from the bar tops.

    I don't know if he was ever a two-armed rider but I always admired his
    devotion to cycling - his missing arm would have been much less of a
    handicap in any number of other sports. I also tried to imagine how
    he'd have to do things like emergency braking, fast corners, even
    blowing snot rockets. I haven't seen him in years, I hope he didn't quit.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    I remember that guy, a few years ago I recall seeing a one-arm cyclist
    riding the Grizzly Peak Century. He was on a Merlin ti road bike, but
    had a straight mt type bar with what looked like a mt bike bar-end on
    one side. The bike had 2 brake levers and either an STI or Ergo lever.
    The guy was in great shape and flew by us like we were standing still
    on his way up McEwen Road. Very inspirational! But, that was a few
    years ago. I too hope he's still riding!

  3. bfd

    bfd Guest

    I remember that guy, a few years ago I recall seeing a one-arm cyclist
    riding the Grizzly Peak Century. He was on a Merlin ti road bike, but
    had a straight mt type bar with what looked like a mt bike bar-end on
    one side. The bike had 2 brake levers and either an STI or Ergo lever.
    The guy was in great shape and flew by us like we were standing still
    on his way up McEwen Road. Very inspirational! But, that was a few
    years ago. I too hope he's still riding!

  4. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    Got a one-armed fellow here in Tallahassee who commutes by bike. I
    have never been in a situation where I could meet him and talk to him,
    though. I need to remedy that.

    Dick Durbin

  5. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    Scott,

    This world record holding amputee cyclist also lives in your area:
    http://www.doryselinger.com/

    I've seen him doing hill repeats on Diablo on at least one occasion.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Diablo Scott wrote:

    > I used to see a one-armed guy riding in my town quite a bit. He
    > looked quite experienced judging from his speed and handling skills.
    > He think he had regular road bars but I doubt he ever had his hand
    > too far away from the stem and I don't think he got out of the saddle
    > very often either. He had some kind of shifter mechanism and a
    > single brake lever that was all operable from the bar tops.
    >
    > I don't know if he was ever a two-armed rider but I always admired his
    > devotion to cycling - his missing arm would have been much less of a
    > handicap in any number of other sports. I also tried to imagine how
    > he'd have to do things like emergency braking, fast corners, even
    > blowing snot rockets. I haven't seen him in years, I hope he didn't
    > quit.

    When I was a kid there was a one-armed guy who rode his bike everywhere. He was
    a surfer, too, and often rode with a surfboard under his one arm. He had no
    trouble starting, stopping, and otherwise maneuvering no-hands. Of course this
    was on a beach cruiser bike with a coaster brake.

    Matt O.

  7. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

  8. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Diablo Scott wrote:

    > I used to see a one-armed guy riding in my town quite a bit. He

    looked
    > quite experienced judging from his speed and handling skills. He

    think
    > he had regular road bars but I doubt he ever had his hand too far

    away
    > from the stem and I don't think he got out of the saddle very often
    > either. He had some kind of shifter mechanism and a single brake

    lever
    > that was all operable from the bar tops.

    I used to have a neighbor in Austin, a man in his 60s whose right arm
    had been completely paralyzed since his youth. He rode a bicycle to
    work at the university every day.

    At 6'10" or so, he was noticeably taller even than I am. He had a
    custom-made Hujsak road bike frame, something like 72cm in size, that
    had a very short top tube so he could ride sitting straight up. He
    used tall handlebars like those from a Stingray, to which were attached
    a thumbshifter, a twist-grip shifter, and a twin-cable MTB brake lever,
    all on the left side. He would prop his paralyzed arm on the right
    handgrip, and it was not obvious when he was riding that he had a
    disability.

    Chalo Colina