One calf bigger than the other??

HellonWheels

Aug 1, 2003
For some time now its annoyed me that my right leg calf is obviously bigger than the left. In fact when I put on capri pants, the right leg calf is tighter.

What could be causing this? I ride my bike on weekends, and sometimes during the week, but 5 days/wk I do a lot on my exercise bike. Whats happening?

HellonWheels said:
For some time now its annoyed me that my right leg calf is obviously bigger than the left. In fact when I put on capri pants, the right leg calf is tighter.

What could be causing this? I ride my bike on weekends, and sometimes during the week, but 5 days/wk I do a lot on my exercise bike. Whats happening?

this is normal.
No-one is 100% symetrical.

yes! my left calf is exactly 1cm bigger than my right calf, its pisses me off too.

HellonWheels said:

Is this a new phenomomen or something you just noticed because you started wearing capris?

HellonWheels said:

My left calf is bigger and not out the back, but to the inside. Also, my left hamstrings are more developed. I am more pronated in the left leg, so maybe the orthoditics are responsible.

I never noticed this before, but others have been commenting too. I did notice the right calf was tighter when I went back to wearing pants (for a long time I only wore skirts for comfort, then after I lost a lot of weight I found full length pants felt okay again.)

But with any pants that go below the knee, I find the right calf is tighter. My husband says its the exercise I do, that because I'm righthanded, I tend to probably use more force in my right leg when I workout.

But if its happening to others too, then maybe it is normal?

yeah i had noticed it in the mirror. I recently had a health evaluation and my calf muscles were measured, it confirmed that my left calf was bigger than my right. the guy who carried out the evaluation said it was totally normal for slight differences in muscle size. i particularly think it looks weird, but people really dont notice until you point it out. my smaller calf(right) is definitely more cut/defined compared to my left calf which is just big?

a1086528 said:
yeah i had noticed it in the mirror. I recently had a health evaluation and my calf muscles were measured, it confirmed that my left calf was bigger than my right. the guy who carried out the evaluation said it was totally normal for slight differences in muscle size. i particularly think it looks weird, but people really dont notice until you point it out. my smaller calf(right) is definitely more cut/defined compared to my left calf which is just big?

At least I know its not just me! My husband said I need to consciously put more effort onto my left leg when cycling, to even things out. I'd rather get the right calf DOWN a bit than do that!

BTW are you lefthanded? I'm curious, since with you its the left calf that's bigger. If so it would give credence to what my husband said.

Guys and girls do not worry it is annoying having uneven quads and calfs....I am a left hander and my left side respond's much better to weight training come cycling.....It has something to do with the brain.i go to the gym and it does not matter how much i train the weaker leg it does not catch up....even my pt trainer at the gym say's it is normal to have uneven muscle definition...any of you guys get a chance to pickup a muscle mag at the shops check them out.it will make you realise that even the pro's have problems.....

At the end of the day if you are a lefty your left side is usually bigger and the same if you are a righty......

ta;)

Oky said:
Guys and girls do not worry it is annoying having uneven quads and calfs....I am a left hander and my left side respond's much better to weight training come cycling.....It has something to do with the brain.i go to the gym and it does not matter how much i train the weaker leg it does not catch up....even my pt trainer at the gym say's it is normal to have uneven muscle definition...any of you guys get a chance to pickup a muscle mag at the shops check them out.it will make you realise that even the pro's have problems.....

At the end of the day if you are a lefty your left side is usually bigger and the same if you are a righty......

ta;)
Work the inside of the calf by squeezing up on your big toe, and the outside of the calf by squeezing on your little toe.

Turning the feet in or out is not as effective as the "squeeze" technique described here!

Do you turn your foot in or out as you walk or pedal?.
when walking try to concentrate slightly on how you walk, maybe one foot goes more through the motion of Heel, toe and the other more flat footed,
even when your pedalling do you tend to turn your foot in or out, even Bounce up and down more on either of your legs or Wear very supportive shoes as you train.

however, one leg interval training should bring them both to somewhat an equal in strength and appearance, plus if you try to put a little more effort into turning the crank with your affected leg and a little less with the leg thats okey, it may loose a little or even stay as it is whilst the other catches up.

Chriopractors will pull on one leg claiming it is longer sometimes as well. Is this also normal?

"One leg is longer then the other." Frank Zappa

I did my ACL in about 20 years ago and that forced me to favor my left leg, which was always stronger anyway.

My left leg is much bigger than my right, (will tape measure it tonight). Since I've started cycling my weak right leg has improved a lot.

I also carry my heavy briefcase on the right side, and can't break the habit of switching.

My lower left back aches, probably form compensating. for the knee as well.

I think the only thing you can do, is stretch a lot, share the work load and when you can see a muslce is weaker than it's opposite is to work it a little bit harder, and adopt good posture at all times.

Swimming is a pretty good sport as well as cycling for sharing the workload.

I'm also left handed/footed, and I notice the effects of living in a right handers world on my balance as well.
For example:
Walking through the train station turnstiles the tickets must always be placed on the right side, which my body hates.

Do you favor one side of your body when walking? sitting? Using the PC? sleeping? People's faces are even differnet from left profile to right from always sleeping on one cheek on their pillows....

:eek:

Tits are another story!!!!

Ok, so what if Im RIGHT handed, I have a slight injury to my RIGHT knee and my LEFT calf is MUCH bigger!???

Well I am a right hander and my right part respond's much better to body building come cycling.It has something to do
with the mind.i go to the gym and it does not issue how much i practice the weaker leg it does not capture up.

Well I am a right hander and my right part respond's much better to body building come cycling.It has something to do with the mind.i go to the gym and it does not issue how much i practice the weaker leg it does not capture up.