One choice only

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Smudger, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Forks.

    Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?

    And why.

    I'll start.

    Steel - proven and comfortable(ish).

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:52:44 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Forks.
    >
    >Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
    >
    >And why.
    >
    >I'll start.
    >
    >Steel - proven and comfortable(ish).

    Alu - light and strong (and I've seen what happens when carbon forks break!)

    Cheers! Stephen

  3. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Carbon forks make me nervous too!

  4. "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:52:44 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Forks.
    > >
    > >Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
    > >
    > >And why.
    > >
    > >I'll start.
    > >
    > >Steel - proven and comfortable(ish).
    > >
    > Alu - light and strong (and I've seen what happens when carbon forks break!)

    Carbon - light and strong and great vibration damping. (Alu forks break too).

    F1 cars, world record breaking racing yachts and the like use carbon fibre for a reason - it's the
    best trade off between weight and strength.

    Russ

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > Forks.
    >
    > Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
    >
    > And why.

    Well, it all depends on the context. What's the bike for? My "one bike fits all" would be a tourer,
    so steel as that will last and be repairable. But a friend who only ever uses a bike for road racing
    would probably be better off on carbon.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > Forks. Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?

    Steel. Because I'm a Luddite and cast iron forks are no longer available
    :p

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    russell pinder wrote:

    > F1 cars, world record breaking racing yachts and the like use carbon fibre for a reason

    Team Philips.

    Next :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Smudger wrote: ) > Forks. ( >
    Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre? ) ( Steel. Because I'm a Luddite and cast iron forks are no
    longer available

    Wrought iron, with brass finials.

  9. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected].uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Smudger wrote: ) > Forks. ( > Steel,
    > aluminium or carbon fibre? ) ( Steel. Because I'm a Luddite and cast iron forks are no longer
    available

    > Wrought iron, with brass finials.

    bamboo

    clive

  10. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Smudger wrote:
    >
    >>Forks. Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
    >

    > Steel. Because I'm a Luddite and cast iron forks are no longer available

    Bamboo. Grow your own.

    james

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > > Smudger wrote:
    > >
    > >>Forks. Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
    > >

    > > Steel. Because I'm a Luddite and cast iron forks are no longer
    available

    > Bamboo. Grow your own.
    >
    > james

    Stone, carve your own!!

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Bamboo. Grow your own.
    >
    > http://www.bamboobike.com/body/mens_bikes.htm

    My LBS doesn't stock stainless liana cables, so that would be no good.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  14. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    Lobster Thermadore.

    Cook your own.

    This is getting silly. I'll think of something else to discuss.

  15. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    What's wrong with wood then?

    :)

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > What's wrong with wood then?

    It doesn't repair very well, and is very difficult to consistently mass produce with at high
    tolerances.

    That's a serious point: it's often thought that the reason it isn't used as much in many things
    these days (canoes, skis, for example) is it's inferior for the job if used properly, where
    it's actually the case that in many cases if it's done well it's a superb material, very strong
    and light.

    A couple of Velo Vision issues ago there was a picture of a 'bent with a beautiful wood tail
    fairing. It had wooden wheels as well, and it was a racing model.

  17. Smudger wrote:
    > What's wrong with wood then?
    >
    > :)

    Woodn't work

    I'll get my coat

    --
    Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

  18. russell pinder <[email protected]> wrote:
    >F1 cars, world record breaking racing yachts and the like use carbon fibre for a reason - it's the
    >best trade off between weight and strength.

    F1 teams have an effectively unlimited budget (compared to the cost of bicycles) and don't mind
    replacing kit after a weekend's use.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > That's a serious point: it's often thought that the reason it isn't used as much in many things
    > these days (canoes, skis, for example) is it's inferior for the job if used properly, where
    > it's actually the case that in many cases if it's done well it's a superb material, very strong
    > and light.

    Very true. My old sailing teacher had a yacht he built himself, cold moulded wooden hull. He was
    rammed by a mad Frenchman in the channel; the Frenchman's plastic boat went down like a stone but
    Bruce was able to make harbour in his wooden wonder.

    And talking of wooden wonders, the Mosquito was made of wood as well. You could load up a Mossie
    with 4,000lb and a crew of two, fly to Germany, drop said bomb, fly back, rearm and refuel and do
    the round trip again in less time (and with less fuel) than a Stirling with a crew of seven could do
    the trip. Not very PC, but a bloody good aeroplane.

    And there was a bloke at the Rickmansworth Aquadrome who built a Flying Fifteen with a cold-moulded
    hull (it looked like teak). That was one beautiful boat. He carved a spinnaker chute out of solid
    mahogany, as I recall. Mmmmmm - Nice!

    Good stuff, wood. Unfortunately most of the timber you can buy retail in the UK is evidently shipped
    as deck cargo on a submarine :-(

    --
    Guy
    ===