One choice only

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Smudger"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Forks.
>
> Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?

Silk. The hi-tech alternative. Commute to work on the Web.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

In message <[email protected]>, russell pinder
<[email protected]> writes

>"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:52:44 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Forks.
>> >
>> >Steel, aluminium or carbon fibre?
>> >

>> >Steel - proven and comfortable(ish).
>> >
>> Alu - light and strong (and I've seen what happens when carbon forks break!)
>
>Carbon - light and strong and great vibration damping. (Alu forks break too).
>
>F1 cars, world record breaking racing yachts and the like use carbon fibre for a reason - it's the
>best trade off between weight and strength.

And racing bikes.....

for such uses then the lightness etc. of carbon fibre is a real benefit. For many cyclists it isn't.

There is a bit on this in the latest CTC rag (about availability of carbon forks suitable for
touring) Chris Juden's argument against them for this sort of use is not so much with the carbon
fibre itself, but with the glued joints between the carbon and metal components, typically at the
fork crown. these can go without any warning
--
Chris French, Leeds

Smudger wrote:
> What's your coat made out of?

Carbon:) like my forks.

Carbon forks are obviously best as they have a reputation for sudden failure after a moderate
amount of use.

Thus they have to be inspected regularly, allowing me to tweak my bike at least weekly, then if
there is even so much as a hint of a scratch they are replaced (of if they are particularly dirty).
It would be churlish to just get forks since if they are worn out the rest of the bike is clearly
questionable. So the new forks come with a bike attached.

This logic allows for a new bike every few years on safety grounds. What is more the old bike can
not be sold as it would be morally wrong to sell a bike with a known defect. Simply repeat this
process until you reach the correct number of bikes.

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> russell pinder wrote:
>

>> F1 cars, world record breaking racing yachts and the like use carbon fibre for a reason
>
> Team Philips.
>
> Next :)

De Havilland Comet, Tay Bridge. Now we've crossed off all three materials, what's left?

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:02:01 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>De Havilland Comet, Tay Bridge. Now we've crossed off all three materials, what's left?

String. It will support the necessary compressive load, provided it's balanced by sufficient other
bits of string...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> String. It will support the necessary compressive load, provided it's balanced by sufficient other
> bits of string...

I was amazed to find the other day that they are still making Slingshot bikes, the ones with the
string downtube. http://www.slingshotbikes.com/