One complaint about TDF '05

Rudy

Sep 23, 2003
After watching "Chasing lance" on Discovery HD Channel, analog signal braodcast of TDF is a disappointment.

Though I'm thankful for having TDF on TV but I wish it was in HD. The image is just incredible in HD and such an event like this...it is worthy of HD.

Great point! It would be amazing to see in HD. I wonder if it has anything to do with how difficult it is to cover already. They always mention "beaming the signal from the motorcyle to the helicopter..."

I know that the HD equipment is suppose to be bulkier and heavier ..... thus while they're on those mopads/motorcycles, it would be a challenge to hold onto the equipments and follow the riders.
But everywhere else should not be a problem. Just think, we're witnessing perhaps one of the greatest cyclist ever, undoubtedly the greaest American cyclist ever and it's not on HD eventhough the technology is widely available.

I agree. I think the equipment would be an issue the other might be a technology one. The information from HD is much more than standard broadcast in strictly a kilobyte measure. I am not a digital video expert but I believe it would have to be. Factor in the five hours or so of daily broadcast, satellite time, getting video information from a remote location to central processing point and it can become a big band width issue. Most events I have seen broadcast in HD are static that is not moving through the country side. The current coverage is incredible but pictures still breack up regularly so I think the technology of transmission of that data from moving camera has just not caught up yet to the HD standard. It may be there but the investment in it has not been made yet. Anyway it hardly matters in my opinion I have never looked back and thought wouldn't it have been great to capture something another way. It is capturing the moment that is most important. Its not about the media or medium.

I've been burning everything off my Tivo box to DVD and the quality of the video comming from the helicopters in particular is very poor. Lots of pixelation problems. The video from the motorcycles is slightly better.

Well again...like I said...If you've seen the "Chasing Lance" programs on the Discovery HD Channel, you'll be amazed and wished that TDF would also be in HD.
BTW, on the Discovery HD they did show footage of follwing Lance through his workouts...which is moving pictures in HD.

Rudy said:
Well again...like I said...If you've seen the "Chasing Lance" programs on the Discovery HD Channel, you'll be amazed and wished that TDF would also be in HD.
BTW, on the Discovery HD they did show footage of follwing Lance through his workouts...which is moving pictures in HD.
Like I said. This was not a live event and was limited in time and not real time.