One day and away we go

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by IMKen, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    Leave for IM New Zealand tomorrow afternoon. I will be like my first IM as I have not done the
    distance since 98 and my bike accidents.

    Going in with about half my usual IM training but this one is for fun so placing has no importance,
    just want to finish standing up. Feel pretty good except that I am terrified of the swim in 63
    degree water. That will be shocking to this old temperature sensitive body. Glad I have a few days
    to acclimate before the race. Hope to get in 3 or 4 swims prior to Mar 6 to get the feel of a
    frozen face. I have a little trouble dealing with our winter water temp of 71 degrees. 24 years in
    Guam's 78 degree water spoiled me.

    Weather at Taupo has been storming and the mountains around the lake have a dusting of snow. I think
    I can handle the 54 degree air temp but oh, that water is something else. Will be praying for lots
    of sun next week but the forecast is not looking favorable. It will be a most interesting race for
    me.

    Hope to run into Gordo and a few other old friends,

    Ken @ Kauai

    Tags:

  2. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Have a good trip and great race Ken! Put your wetsuit on...;-)

    Marty

    "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%%[email protected]>...
    > Leave for IM New Zealand tomorrow afternoon. I will be like my first IM as I have not done the
    > distance since 98 and my bike accidents.
    >
    > Going in with about half my usual IM training but this one is for fun so placing has no
    > importance, just want to finish standing up. Feel pretty good except that I am terrified of the
    > swim in 63 degree water. That will be shocking to this old temperature sensitive body. Glad I
    > have a few days to acclimate before the race. Hope to get in 3 or 4 swims prior to Mar 6 to get
    > the feel of a frozen face. I have a little trouble dealing with our winter water temp of 71
    > degrees. 24 years in Guam's 78 degree water spoiled me.
    >
    > Weather at Taupo has been storming and the mountains around the lake have a dusting of snow. I
    > think I can handle the 54 degree air temp but oh, that water is something else. Will be praying
    > for lots of sun next week but the forecast is not looking favorable. It will be a most interesting
    > race for
    > me.
    >
    > Hope to run into Gordo and a few other old friends,
    >
    > Ken @ Kauai

  3. Tri4fun1

    Tri4fun1 Guest

    Have a great race, Tri-man

  4. "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:%%[email protected]:

    > Leave for IM New Zealand tomorrow afternoon. I will be like my first IM as I have not done the
    > distance since 98 and my bike accidents.
    >
    > Going in with about half my usual IM training but this one is for fun so placing has no
    > importance, just want to finish standing up. Feel pretty good except that I am terrified of the
    > swim in 63 degree water. That will be shocking to this old temperature sensitive body. Glad I
    > have a few days to acclimate before the race. Hope to get in 3 or 4 swims prior to Mar 6 to get
    > the feel of a frozen face. I have a little trouble dealing with our winter water temp of 71
    > degrees. 24 years in Guam's 78 degree water spoiled me.
    >
    > Weather at Taupo has been storming and the mountains around the lake have a dusting of snow. I
    > think I can handle the 54 degree air temp but oh, that water is something else. Will be praying
    > for lots of sun next week but the forecast is not looking favorable. It will be a most interesting
    > race for me.
    >
    > Hope to run into Gordo and a few other old friends,
    >
    > Ken @ Kauai

    Hope it's a great race, Ken!

    Tom

  5. Asweepay

    Asweepay Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:11:07 GMT, "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Leave for IM New Zealand tomorrow afternoon. I will be like my first IM as I have not done the
    >distance since 98 and my bike accidents.

    Good luck.

  6. M Kochanski

    M Kochanski Guest

    Good luck!

    Consider a neopreme(sp?) cap, or wear multiple swim caps, helps a little in the cold water.

    MK