one footed BC Wheeling

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by James_Potter, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    Is it possible to ride a BC Wheel one footed? My friend and I are having
    an argument on this, and I think it's possible, but he doesn't. are
    there any videos out there of someone doing it? Jeff? Ryan?

    thanks

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  2. TheoELind

    TheoELind Guest

    possible for a few seconds probably. mabey if the person was weightless.
    Any pressure down on one pedal will make the wheel lean that way, right
    into the leg, making for a painful dismount.

    --
    TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider

    Some things in life are bad/ They can really make you mad/ Other things
    just make you swear and curse/ When you're chewing on life's grisle/
    don't grumble- give a whistle/ and this'll help things turn out for the
    best.../ and.../ Always look on the bright side of life/ (whistle)/
    Always look on the bright side of life/ (whistle)

    Dave Lowell is my main man.
    TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

  3. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    i have done it for about 5 sec., it wasnt on porpuse but i had to do it
    for ballance.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    Murde Dosnt know what he's talking about, i have my soul, its right here
    next to me!
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  4. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I'm thinking it would be possible if you're turning, like in a really
    tight circle, so the wheel is leaning over a lot. That would put more
    weight on the footless side, methinks....

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  6. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    its true, it may have been more like 2-3 sec., i didnt land it either,
    it was a depsret help for ballance.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    Murde Dosnt know what he's talking about, i have my soul, its right here
    next to me!
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  7. KcTheAcy

    KcTheAcy Guest

  8. Mojoe

    Mojoe Guest

    Jeff Groves does it while getting up speed before jumping an obsticle in
    a Toque video I watched. He has one foot on it and pushes with the other
    foot like a skateboarder, then puts the other foot on. I don't know how
    he does it.

    Mojoe

    --
    Mojoe - Move to Iceland

    http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

    My Dad used to beat me with his PC.
    http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=55
    Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

  9. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Josue Barreto from Puerto Rico has a BC wheel that he can ride one
    footed. It has an extension that clamps to the leg below the knee for
    support so the wheel doesn't flop over when ridden one footed. I don't
    have a picture of Josue's wheel, but it's similar in design to the
    device pictured in 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/3thdt) except it's
    sparkly and more BC wheelish.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

    \"otherwise we'd just sit around a table and try to agree on what the
    fastest time for a 1 hour time trial should be.\" -- john_childs
    demonstrating a deep understanding of time

  10. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  11. weeble

    weeble Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *Josue Barreto from Puerto Rico has a BC wheel that he can ride one
    > footed. It has an extension that clamps to the leg below the knee for
    > support so the wheel doesn't flop over when ridden one footed. I
    > don't have a picture of Josue's wheel, but it's similar in design to
    > the device pictured in 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/3thdt) except
    > it's sparkly and more BC wheelish. *

    The video link in that thread was apparently dead and wouldn't work for
    me. The device shown in the still photo is the "Pedespeed," or something
    inspired by it, and is something that I've been interested in for quite
    some time. There is a charming Victorian-era picture of it here:

    http://www.jimskipper.com/victoria/2001-1/tech.html

    The photo shows the wheels mounted on the insides of the legs. The art
    image has the wheels outside, which I think would work better, as it
    would keep the wheels from colliding with each other. Someone needs to
    build a modern version of this, right now.

    Mr. Mustachio there is gonna need more than a boss hat and Michael
    Jackson moves to get in with those ladies, who've got a nice pairs
    routine of their own going on, thank you very much.

    I'm sure the date in the caption is a typo and should be 1875, not
    1975.

    I think I posted something a while back asking whether a two-sided
    version of Josue's BC would be workable. It would have a leg-brace on
    each side, so you could switch feet while riding it. I drew a picture...

    | Attachment filename: newbc.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/287537|

    weeble - There can be only one... wheel

    ==============
    Another Joe in MN
    Level 2 and holding
    ==============

    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  12. 'twounicycles' (http://twounicycles.googlepages.com/)

    --
    onewheelskate
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. thejdw

    thejdw Guest

    onewheelskate wrote:
    > 'twounicycles' (http://twounicycles.googlepages.com/)

    hahaha great :D

    --
    thejdw

    kington99 wrote:
    > A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    > just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage :)

    >>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<

    http://www.usenet.com

  14. ThisGuyIKnow

    ThisGuyIKnow Guest

    It would probably be possible by tilting the wheel sideways. A brace
    would be necessary to not have your weight against the side of the tire
    though. Everything has a theoretical balance point so you could lean
    your body to counteract the weight one side of the tire.

    --
    ThisGuyIKnow
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. timbob1907

    timbob1907 Guest

    Doesnt Jeff do it in Defect? he does it for a bit im sure. I cant bc
    and Im sure its really hard but its possible.

    --
    timbob1907

    fluxusmaximus wrote:
    > It looks like some deranged mad-man going berserk with a heavy metal
    > object.

    (\_/)
    O 0
    (><)This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature, help him on his way
    to world domination.
    'CarbonFibreSeat!'
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. timbob1907 wrote:
    > Doesnt Jeff do it in Defect? he does it for a bit im sure. I cant bc
    > and Im sure its really hard but its possible.

    Yeah but its really easy to do what Jeff did, he just took his foot off
    for a moment. It would be really hard to ride it fully one footed.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    Flatland is not street tricks on the ground.
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. Hazmat

    Hazmat Guest

    weeble wrote:
    > The video link in that thread was apparently dead and wouldn't work for
    > me. The device shown in the still photo is the "Pedespeed," or
    > something inspired by it, and is something that I've been interested in
    > for quite some time. There is a charming Victorian-era picture of it
    > here:
    >
    > http://www.jimskipper.com/victoria/2001-1/tech.html
    >
    > The photo shows the wheels mounted on the insides of the legs. The art
    > image has the wheels outside, which I think would work better, as it
    > would keep the wheels from colliding with each other. Someone needs to
    > build a modern version of this, right now.
    >
    > Mr. Mustachio there is gonna need more than a boss hat and Michael
    > Jackson moves to get in with those ladies, who've got a nice pairs
    > routine of their own going on, thank you very much.
    >
    > I'm sure the date in the caption is a typo and should be 1875, not
    > 1975.
    >
    > I think I posted something a while back asking whether a two-sided
    > version of Josue's BC would be workable. It would have a leg-brace on
    > each side, so you could switch feet while riding it. I drew a
    > picture...

    That's a very nice design. Not sure if it's ridable though but looks
    like fun either way. :D

    onewheelskate wrote:
    > 'twounicycles' (http://twounicycles.googlepages.com/)

    Very cool except for the ski pole thingys. :D

    --
    Hazmat

    *The Hazmat Poll*: *Please vote.
    *http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458
    *Hazmats Unicycle Design/Creation competition:D. :D
    *http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60806
    *poll *http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62030
    http://www.usenet.com