One footed riding

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Hermit, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Hermit

    Hermit Guest

    i started workign on riding one footed today, with a previous recond of
    1 and a half rotations, i have no reached 9 in a short 20 minute
    practive. I find it hard to keep going any tips on getting further?

    --
    Hermit - I changed the title...
    Hermit's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10430

  2. flyer

    flyer Guest

    Make sure that you give putting your foot up on the frame a try. Some
    people find it easier with their leg extended, but most are more
    comfortable with one up on the frame.

    Getting up speed while riding one footed is simply a matter of practice,
    and this is defintely a skill that is more practice than anything else.
    There's really not much in the way of technique to be described, since
    most of it is subconcious pedal pressures.

    Keep your arms out wide and keep going for it!

    --
    flyer - Level 5 Unicyclist
    flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

  3. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    just keep practicing. apply a little more pressure on the "downstroke"
    to get enough momentum on the pedal to come back up again. but good job,
    and just keep trying.

    but curiously, do you hold your arms out? i hold onto the handle... its
    just habit, it doesnt hurt if i take it off, it's just habit...

    --
    abbabibble - uhh...

    Cheers,
    Mat.
    -----------------------
    "1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
    wonder why we would do it."

    -someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
    if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

    "maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME!" ---fcwegnm0b

    --"It's not difficult, but it is there and has to be done"

    --"[just]respond with a casual bidigital salute[!]"

    --Mikefule
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  4. Hermit

    Hermit Guest

    yea, i think at the moment im holding the handle, it just makes me feel
    more secure. also i have another question, i have a crappy unicycle,
    and the part of the frame where i rest my foot is cruved, like this:

    | |
    / \ ok i cant seem to make the picture show up corectly for
    some reason but you get the idea
    / /\ \
    | | | |
    | | | |

    does it help to have a flat frame? because i dotn feel very secure with
    my foot on my frame..

    --
    Hermit - I changed the title...
    Hermit's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10430

  5. try to make it a fluid motion rather than a "pulse" motion it makes it
    a lot easier to go further and keep your balance.

    --
    carsonpalooza - www.oddtodd.com

    I'm jealous:(
    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    I think it really does help with performance.
    I like your hair. You look like my friend.
    Good luck finding a working pirate
    That site is making me drool.
    Edit... next time, post something like this in JC, and a string of
    question marks does not constitute a title.
    I was drooling over all those spools.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b

    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

  6. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Hermit wrote:
    > *yea, i think at the moment im holding the handle, it just makes me
    > feel more secure. also i have another question, i have a crappy
    > unicycle, and the part of the frame where i rest my foot is cruved,
    > like this:
    >
    > | |
    > / \ ok i cant seem to make the picture show up corectly for
    > some reason but you get the idea
    > / /\ \
    > | | | |
    > | | | |

    > does it help to have a flat frame? because i dotn feel very secure
    > with my foot on my frame.. *

    I was actualy doing the same thing today, working on my one footed
    rides, although I still cant get more than two or three revs. I also
    have a really hard time putting my foot up so I tend to just stick it
    out and try to balance. I have heard that it is alot easier if you can
    put your foot up but i think its more just what you feel you prefer.

    --
    ntappin

  7. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    i think its easier to learn with your foot out for more balance.. then
    once you can do it for a long time... go with putting your foot on the
    frame.. it became much easier.. and dont just just go really fast and
    take your foot off and hope for the best.. go at a normal cruising speed
    and just slowly take it off.. try to keep the same speed and try to go
    in a strait line..with about two hours of solid practice on a 28" i had
    it to where i was able to go about 50 revs.. sorry if that ramble is
    kinda confusing.. good luck

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  8. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    no, you don't HAVE to have a flat crown (that's what that is called, the
    crown of the frame)

    if you have curved ones, you can go down to the local skate shop and get
    two ~ 1inch X 4 inch strips of grip tape. that'll help keep your foot
    on the crown.

    --
    abbabibble - uhh...

    Cheers,
    Mat.
    -----------------------
    "1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
    wonder why we would do it."

    -someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
    if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

    "maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME!" ---fcwegnm0b

    --"It's not difficult, but it is there and has to be done"

    --"[just]respond with a casual bidigital salute[!]"

    --Mikefule
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  9. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    I ride one footed on a 20" with a rounded frame. You don't necessarily
    need to poot weight on your non-pedaling foot, you just stick it on the
    frame so is has somewhere to go.

    Then, if you ride a flat-crowned uni, it becomes MUCH easier to do.

    I just don't like having a foot flailing around looking silly.

    --
    Spudman - We're on a mission from God.

    If dolphins are so smart, then why do they live in igloos?
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  10. munipsycho

    munipsycho Guest

    Someone told me to practice finding the crown with my free foot, just
    while stopped and leaning against a building or something, so it's
    easier to find it when riding.

    I thought it was a useful tip.

    --
    munipsycho - Sometimes I fall down.

    =====================
    'Munipsycho.com' (http://munipsycho.com//)
    munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

  11. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I learnt on a 24 Schwinn, with a round crown, and never put my foot on
    it. Just pointed my foot backwards, bent at the knee, to keep it out of
    the way of the pedals.
    I found going from about 1.5 rotations to about 10 pretty easy, then I
    really slowed down, but kept up and finally got past it, to where I
    could go 1/2 mile or so.
    Now I have a uni with a flat crown (also 24) and I stick my foot there,
    but I'm still better doing it the other way. On my 28, the crown is just
    too high to ride with a foot up there, same with a Coker, so I think
    it's a usefull skill to learn anyway.

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  12. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Im trying to learn one foot, i can one foot idle really well and have no
    porblems getting my foot to the crown even on my 24" frame, but i always
    stall when my left foot reaches the top of the stroke, i just can't seem
    to ever push it further in to the next reveolution, any tips?

    --
    kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

    Dave

  13. pdc

    pdc Guest

    Skippii wrote:
    > *so I think it's a usefull skill to learn anyway. *

    Sure if you break a pedal or a crank, you can still get home :D

    --
    pdc - Unicycling Lord of Lookout Mountain

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"

    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  14. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    kington99 wrote:
    > *Im trying to learn one foot, i can one foot idle really well and have
    > no porblems getting my foot to the crown even on my 24" frame, but i
    > always stall when my left foot reaches the top of the stroke, i just
    > can't seem to ever push it further in to the next reveolution, any
    > tips? *

    I had the -same exact- problem , where my right foot (the one pedaling)
    couldn't seem to make it past 12 o'clock / straight up / 90ยบ. I suggest
    1ft idling and moving your CG as far backwards and forwards as you can,
    and then work up your momentum and *lean forwards* while pedaling.
    Hopefully you'll get the pedal to come all the way back up and around,
    and continue that motion.

    The first time I rode 1ft for more than 2 rotations was down my friends
    driveway/ slight decline. Maybe that'll work for you too.

    --
    burjzyntski - thejoeb

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    "Every silver lining has a touch of gray."
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  15. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    Oh u learnt it from idle? I've heard that is more difficult, and i have
    tried the extra movement of C of G during idling, with no sucess, i
    think i slight slope may well help.

    --
    kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

    Dave

  16. hecklar

    hecklar Guest

    When you have your foot on the crown, you can kind of push the uni
    forward with that foot on the upstroke of the used pedal. In the same
    way, you need to lean back a bit, if you can't get the used pedal past
    the 12 o'clock spot. I think that's how it works anyway. I just do it
    systematically now.

    You'll get it. It just takes a little practice. I got like 3
    revolutions on the first day that i started trying, then 7 on the next,
    then 20 on the next, and now i can just go until i hit a bump or
    pothole. It's a pretty simple trick once you get it. Oddly, i still
    can't do it with my goofy foot. Haven't really tried though.

    --
    hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
    hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

  17. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    It actually takes months for most riders to get super solid on
    one-footing, to where you can bust out the trick on the trails, on up
    and downhills and so forth. To get real fluid you basically have to
    coast and just let the wheel run for half a revolution, from bottom to
    top crank angles. The more you can let that bit flow, the smoother (and
    faser) you are till there is little to no speed differential between
    strokes (no jerky action) and you're barely pushing down on the pedal at
    all--basically coasting w/ a foot feathering the pedal.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  18. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    > you need to lean back a bit

    I always find that I need to lean -forward-, actually.

    --
    burjzyntski - thejoeb

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    "Every silver lining has a touch of gray."
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  19. burjzyntski

    burjzyntski Guest

    > Rowan's post

    I tried doing it that way but I just found it easier to push from 1ft
    idle into another rotation. I could also practice it this way in my
    house when it would be raining outside or when I would have the urge to
    practice something after watching videos at 4am :rolleyes:

    --
    burjzyntski - thejoeb

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    "Every silver lining has a touch of gray."
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

  20. juggle508

    juggle508 Guest

    Once your able to start having your foot on the frame....go to a
    hardware store and buy a hose clamp....Clamp it on there....thats what i
    did and i could rest my foot on the screw part...might be dumb but it
    helped.

    --
    juggle508 - 1st in Oklahoma 2 land a crankflip.

    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

    juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701