One for Howard.

On Aug 17, 9:10 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Roger Merriman wrote:
>
> > yup one of the old pubs in the gorge had old photos of folks who'd gone
> > for a ride, considering the contor lines in the area and the brakes etc
> > on older bikes, impressive.

> I wonder what that quint was like with two wheeled 1950's braking on
> steel rims downhill?
>
> Prolly a good job Hull is flat!

Look more carefully. It has no brakes. It probably has a fixed gear as
well. And if you read the article you will see that it was used on the
local cycle track. One would presume it was used as a pacer for
certain types of racing (motorcycles being unknown in 18xx)

I doubt they had to worry about riding downhill.

...d

On 17 Aug, 10:12, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 9:10 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Roger Merriman wrote:

> > > yup one of the old pubs in the gorge had old photos of folks who'd gone
> > > for a ride, considering the contor lines in the area and the brakes etc
> > > on older bikes, impressive.

> > I wonder what that quint was like with two wheeled 1950's braking on
> > steel rims downhill?

> > Prolly a good job Hull is flat!

> Look more carefully. It has no brakes. It probably has a fixed gear as
> well. And if you read the article you will see that it was used on the
> local cycle track. One would presume it was used as a pacer for
> certain types of racing (motorcycles being unknown in 18xx)
>
> I doubt they had to worry about riding downhill.
>
> ..d

Just as well it was for use on a track - cornering must have been
difficult with a wheelbase of that size! Scary! I am full of
admiration for those wheelmen in times when roads were shite and so
were brakes... people were different then? Made of sterner stuff,
what? I notice that facial features and body shapes were quite
different from the way people look now too. You notice it in old films
too - Not only did people look very different from how they do now,
but the Belgians and French (in teh Eddy Mercx films) actually looked
quite different to British people from that time, as well. Maybe
changes in diet (you don't see many overweight people in old
documentaries of 'ordinary' folk) and fewer regional dietary
diffrences, changes in lifestyle and labour/work, as well as increased
travel have led to fewer obvious regional differences between people.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
> [email protected] says...
>> Tony Raven wrote:

>> > Yes. http://www.hetchins.com/index.htm

>> Beautiful detailing on the lugs!
>>
>> What are the brakes used on the blue road bike?
>>

> Campag Delta.

Spouse was very pleased to see the website but wondered about the brakes
too. It looked as though they were running on the tyre.

We know almost nothing about modern bikes - still using ours from the
sixties :-(

Mary

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:4F137EBC9D%[email protected]...
> On 16 Aug,
> "Rich B" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sucking his keyboard for inspiration, Mary Fisher typed:

>> > My favourite, apart from what I'm riding now - occasionally - was the
>> > curly Hetchins tandem. I was riding that - solo - until hours before
>> > our third child was born. She now has it. I couldn't ride fixed wheel
>> > with a big belly and the Hetchins had gears.
>> >
>> > Still don't like gears ...
>> >
>> > Mary

>> Hetchins - I'd almost forgotten about them. Always wanted one; beautiful
>> bikes. Do they still make them?
>>

> Were those the ones with the curly rear stays? I haven't seen one for
> yonks.

That's why I called it our curly Hetchins! And yes they are, if you look at
the website.

Mary

Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... <[email protected]>:
>Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a domestic
>mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning - they
don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling alone set.
Today is Teleute, August.

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Look more carefully. It has no brakes. It probably has a fixed gear as
> well. And if you read the article you will see that it was used on the
> local cycle track. One would presume it was used as a pacer for
> certain types of racing (motorcycles being unknown in 18xx)

Yes, that was The Boulevard, until recently home of Hull RLFC and Hull
Viking speedway. Presumably, the track went around the rugby pitch. In my
youth it was a cinder track for the speedway races.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

#

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Ugi*[email protected]...
> Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... <[email protected]>:
>>Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a domestic
>>mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

> Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning - they
> don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling alone set.

Firstly, I would be hugely obliged to you if you would exercise the common
courtesy of leaving the message destinations alone! Quite *why* you feel
the need to dictate who reads what, is beyond me! - I can only assume that
you are also one of the censorious tree hugging fascists who want to take
away my car!!

As for the posit itself - perhaps you could explain to me *why* poor
starving persecuted Matumbo is now better off in his independent homeland,
rather than living under the protection of our former empire?

I always try not to personalise Usenet encounters - but I have to say that
you are precisely the sort of odious hypocrite that makes me feel like
vomiting! The sort of nasty inverted bigot who champions every 'librul'
cause - and then steps away with a self-satisfied air, leaving others to
endure the misery you have helped create.

It is *you* who are the 'racist! - you appear happy to see Africans buried
alive by blood stained tribal butchers like Mugabe, torn to shreds by evil
demon possessed savages like Amin, hacked limb from limb, as in Rwanda,
starved, mutilated, slaughtered in their hundreds of thousands by every
bone-pierced despot who rises from the slime of the African cesspool - as
long as (horror of unspeakable horrors) they don't have to endure the
indignity of being a colonial subject!

**** on you - and all those like you, The blood of millions remains on your
well scrubbed hands.

--
In Memoriam

http://www.drypool.net/cgi-bin/system.pl?id=nfflist
> Roger Merriman wrote:
>>
>> yup one of the old pubs in the gorge had old photos of folks who'd gone
>> for a ride, considering the contor lines in the area and the brakes etc
>> on older bikes, impressive.
>>

> I wonder what that quint was like with two wheeled 1950's braking on steel
> rims downhill?
>
> Prolly a good job Hull is flat!<<

They'd never shift them in Hull these days - not without a periscope ;)

I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... wrote:

> #
>

> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Ugi*[email protected]...
> > Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!.....
> > <[email protected]>:
> > > Yes, indeed! - those were the days! - A prosperous empire, a
> > > domestic mono-culture, and a thriving cycle industry.

> > Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning -
> > they don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling
> > alone set.

> Firstly, I would be hugely obliged to you if you would exercise the
> common courtesy of leaving the message destinations alone! Quite why
> you feel the need to dictate who reads what, is beyond me!

You should know, you've done just that.
Anyway, where's the tiffin wallah...

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura ace 10

"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... wrote:
>
>> #
>>

>> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:Ugi*[email protected]...
>> > Quoting I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!.....
>> >
>> > Watch for the new racist kook crossposting to uk.rec.caravanning -
>> > they don't want all the Hetchins chat. Followup-To: uk.rec.cycling
>> > alone set.

>> Firstly, I would be hugely obliged to you if you would exercise the
>> common courtesy of leaving the message destinations alone! Quite why
>> you feel the need to dictate who reads what, is beyond me!

> You should know, you've done just that.
> Anyway, where's the tiffin wallah...

Capital idea! - and send the char wallah in at the same time ;) (it's
thirsty work governing all the red bits on the map)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:45:30 +0100, "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>blood stained tribal butchers like Mugabe

Is he any worse than King Henry VIII was?

In article <[email protected]>, Rich B
[email protected] says...

> Yes - and the original Hetchins had curly fork ends as well, but ISTR that
> they were found too fragile and the later frames only had the curly stays.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Bates Diadrant fork? I believe
a few Hetchins were built with them to special order, but I'm not aware
that they were ever offered as a standard feature, nor am I aware of any
problems with their durability. They were arguably more of a marketing
exercise than anything else.