one for sheldon "knows about nexus" brown

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Panda, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Panda

    Panda Guest

    I have a nexus 7spd, and some time ago purchased a different size cog for the hub. question is , how
    easy is it to change these things?

    many thanks

    panda

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:21:13 +0100, "panda" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a nexus 7spd, and some time ago purchased a different size cog for the hub. question is ,
    >how easy is it to change these things?

    IIRC, Nexus use the same cog attachment as Sturmey Archer have used for a long time (ie, three
    fairly small halfmoon bumps in a fairly large hole), held on by a lockspring. You'd need to remove
    the wheel, grab a couple of old screwdrivers, pry off the lockspringring, replace the cog, taking
    care to keep the spacers in the same order, replace the ring, and mount it back. Should be less than
    a 15 minute job if you've done it before, maybe a bit more if you're feeling your way along slowly.

    Jasper

  3. Jasper Janssen wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:21:13 +0100, "panda" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a nexus 7spd, and some time ago purchased a different size cog for the hub. question is ,
    > >how easy is it to change these things?
    >
    > IIRC, Nexus use the same cog attachment as Sturmey Archer have used for a long time (ie, three
    > fairly small halfmoon bumps in a fairly large hole), held on by a lockspring. You'd need to remove
    > the wheel, grab a couple of old screwdrivers, pry off the lockspringring,

    Using screwdrivers to remove a lockspring is dangerous to you and to the lockspring Go out & buy a
    pair of pliers specially designed for this task

    > replace the cog, taking care to keep the spacers in the same order, replace the ring, and mount it
    > back. Should be less than a 15 minute job if you've done it before, maybe a bit more if you're
    > feeling your way along slowly.
    >
    > Jasper

  4. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Using screwdrivers to remove a lockspring is dangerous to you and to the lockspring Go out & buy a
    > pair of pliers specially designed for this task

    Puh-lease. It's a frigging circular wire clip, same as on any coaster brake hub. It ain't rocket
    science and it ain't dangerous.

    I use a single small flat-bladed screwdriver. In many years and countless cog changes I have never
    had any occasion to reconsider my method (though the clip does sometimes snap back into place half a
    dozen times before I can tease it loose). I'm not sure how the task could be significantly easier--
    let alone safer-- even with the use of a special pliers.

    Chalo Colina

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jasper Janssen wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:21:13 +0100, "panda" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have a nexus 7spd, and some time ago purchased a different size cog for the hub. question is
    > > >, how easy is it to change these things?
    > >
    > > IIRC, Nexus use the same cog attachment as Sturmey Archer have used for a long time (ie, three
    > > fairly small halfmoon bumps in a fairly large hole), held on by a lockspring. You'd need to
    > > remove the wheel, grab a couple of old screwdrivers, pry off the lockspringring,
    >
    > Using screwdrivers to remove a lockspring is dangerous to you and to the lockspring Go out & buy a
    > pair of pliers specially designed for this task

    There's no special tool for removing the Sturmey/Shimano snapring- removing it was a matter of
    carefully prying it off with narrow screwdrivers. (That's what they taught us in Schwinn school.) It
    doesn't have the holes for conventional snapring pliers.

    Here's an exploded view:
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/SG_7R42.pdf and here's the service
    instructions: http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/7R42A.pdf

    Note that you will have to remove and reinstall the shift mechanism to get at the sprocket snapring.

    Jeff

  6. Panda

    Panda Guest

    Jeff Wills wrote:
    > Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Jasper Janssen wrote:

    >>> IIRC, Nexus use the same cog attachment as Sturmey Archer have used for a long time (ie, three
    >>> fairly small halfmoon bumps in a fairly large hole), held on by a lockspring. You'd need to
    >>> remove the wheel, grab a couple of old screwdrivers, pry off the lockspringring,
    >>
    >> Using screwdrivers to remove a lockspring is dangerous to you and to the lockspring Go out & buy
    >> a pair of pliers specially designed for this task
    >>

    > There's no special tool for removing the Sturmey/Shimano snapring- removing it was a matter of
    > carefully prying it off with narrow screwdrivers. (That's what they taught us in Schwinn school.)
    > It doesn't have the holes for conventional snapring pliers.
    >
    > Here's an exploded view:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/SG_7R42.pdf
    > and here's the service instructions:

    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/7R42A.pdf

    > Note that you will have to remove and reinstall the shift mechanism to get at the sprocket
    > snapring.
    >
    > Jeff

    cheers for that jeff. last night i swapped the sprocket with the use of a small screwdriver. it was
    indeed easy, and did take 15mins! so thanks very much!

    panda

  7. Blech

    Blech Guest

    [email protected] (blech) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Bluto) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Using screwdrivers to remove a lockspring is dangerous to you and to the lockspring Go out &
    > > > buy a pair of pliers specially designed for this task
    > >
    > > Puh-lease. It's a frigging circular wire clip, same as on any coaster brake hub. It ain't rocket
    > > science and it ain't dangerous.
    >
    > Oh sure, that's what this guy thought,
    >
    > <ttp://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/290000/images/_290235_headwound150.jpg>
    >
    > You know what they say, "it's not rocket science until someone gets hurt".

    Looks like posting an url IS rocket science for some of us!

    <http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/290000/images/_290235_headwound150.jpg

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "blech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Oh sure, that's what this guy thought,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/290000/images/_290235_headwound150.jpg
    > You know what they say, "it's not rocket science until someone gets hurt".

    That looks more like the impact of the whole bicycle, not just a circlip. I have no difficulty
    removing cog circlips with a single screwdriver. I install them with my fingers (oil the circlip
    first and it snaps right into the groove without Herculean machinations)